[comp.os.msdos.misc] Good WPs for books?

rjf@canon.co.uk (Robin Faichney) (03/23/91)

I'm familiar with using vi+troff under UNIX for reports and so forth,
but I'm about to embark on writing a book on a PC, and I know nothing
about either PCs or wordprocessing other than vi+troff.

I've heard that many of the well known WPs are not really suitable for
books -- they are not designed to cope with the size, for one thing.
Also, I don't really want to pay for facilities like graphics-handling
which I'll never use.

Can anyone recommend a suitable WP for me?  I've heard that LaTex is
available for PCs, and I'm sure it's good for books.  Can anyone tell
me more?

Email and I'll post a summary if there's interest.  Thanks alot.
--
Robin Faichney  (this is not a signature)

louis@cs.athabascau.ca (Louis Schmittroth) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar23.145145.23613@canon.co.uk>, rjf@canon.co.uk (Robin Faichney) writes:
> I'm familiar with using vi+troff under UNIX for reports and so forth,
> but I'm about to embark on writing a book on a PC, and I know nothing
> about either PCs or wordprocessing other than vi+troff.

I suggest you look at getting the MKS version of vi for MS/DOS, and
getting the EROFF desktop typesetting package from Elan Software.  Call
Elan at 415-322-2450, or write: Elan Computer Group, 410 CAmbridge Ave
Suite A, Palo Alto, CA 94306.

EROFF runs on UNIXes and MS/DOS.  It is an excellent implementation of
troff with support for both Postscript and HP LaserJets.  I use this
all the time on Xenix.

MKS: 35 King Street North, Waterloo, ON, Canada N2J 2W9.
To order call 1-800-265-2797 or 1-519-884-2251