[comp.os.msdos.misc] *chkdsk*

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (03/27/91)

To: wongs@sumax.seattleu.edu

In a message to All <25 Mar 91 12:03> Crack Pot wrote:

 CP> From: wongs@sumax.seattleu.edu (Crack pot)
 CP> Date: 25 Mar 91 09:16:50 GMT
 CP> Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.misc

 CP> Hello World,
The English version of the program!

 CP>      I am totally confused with the MS-DOS command CHKDSK.  I am running
 CP> a 4.01v of MS-DOS on my 386 and I did a chkdsk /f to check and see if
 CP> there are any hidden files in my hard
 CP> drive.  I found four hidden files and
 CP> my problem is I can not seem to access
 CP> them so that I may see if the files
 CP> are worthless.  How do I access my hidden files?

First off, on ANY dos computer there are always two hidden files used for
boot. (IBMBIO.COM+IBMDOS.COM or MSDOS.SYS+MSBIO.SYS (?)).  To access hidden
files, many utilities can change the attributes of the files (ie: Hidden,
read-only, archive, system etc..).  MS-Dos comes with an attrib utility which changes the attributes, but I'm not quite sure if it lets you change the
hidden attribute.  (I haven't used MS-dos in ages, I use 4Dos).  If so, it is described in your dos manual.
     Now, a note on 4Dos.  4Dos is a shareware command processor to replace
command.com, which uses less memory and has more commands and features.
Highly recommended.  Version 3.02a is the latest I know of.  Don't have much
more to put in so..  adios.

Greg.Smith@bohemia.metronet.org
 (please respond to here ^^^)

--- XRS!% 4.10DV
 * Origin: Avatar or bust! (Quick 1:104/477.11)

Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith