[comp.os.msdos.misc] MD-DOS 5.0 Release Date

tedm@agora.rain.com (Ted Mittelstaedt) (03/22/91)

Ah, didn't you know how to get a copy of DOS 5.0?  Simply call up Microsoft
and say that you are a software developer, and need a Beta copy so your
program will be doss-compatible when you release it.
  Evidently, Microsoft has made the decision not to release DOS 5.0 until
every developer in the country has had a copy on their shelves with an inch
thick coating of dust on it.

   MS-DOS 5.0 : The first operating system manufactured in permanent Beta

cgf@ednor.bbc.com (Chris Faylor) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar22.084259.29905@agora.rain.com> tedm@agora.rain.com (Ted Mittelstaedt) writes:

>Ah, didn't you know how to get a copy of DOS 5.0?  Simply call up Microsoft
>and say that you are a software developer, and need a Beta copy so your
>program will be doss-compatible when you release it.
>  Evidently, Microsoft has made the decision not to release DOS 5.0 until
>every developer in the country has had a copy on their shelves with an inch
>thick coating of dust on it.
>
>   MS-DOS 5.0 : The first operating system manufactured in permanent Beta

Ok.  Maybe this was tongue-in-cheek, but I tried calling Microsoft.  They
instructed me to write a letter to their corporate headquarters if I want
to be a beta tester.  Is there actually a number I can call to get an
advance copy?  I am a software developer and I do have concerns as to whether
my product will run correctly.

Can anyone help out here?
--
Chris Faylor		Boston Business Computing, Ltd.
cgf@ednor.bbc.com	"I am not here."

mbryan@netcom.COM (Michael Bryan) (03/29/91)

>>Ah, didn't you know how to get a copy of DOS 5.0?  Simply call up Microsoft
>>and say that you are a software developer, and need a Beta copy so your
>>program will be doss-compatible when you release it.
>>  Evidently, Microsoft has made the decision not to release DOS 5.0 until
>>every developer in the country has had a copy on their shelves with an inch
>>thick coating of dust on it.
>
>Ok.  Maybe this was tongue-in-cheek, but I tried calling Microsoft.  They
>instructed me to write a letter to their corporate headquarters if I want
>to be a beta tester.  Is there actually a number I can call to get an
>advance copy?  I am a software developer and I do have concerns as to whether
>my product will run correctly.
>
>Can anyone help out here?

I also called MS today, and was told that the only way to get a copy of
DOS 5.0 is to be a Beta tester.  However, the person on the other end
said that it would take two months to be approved for Beta testing if we
did not already have such an agreement, and besides, 5.0 is now officially
out of Beta.  She said that nobody will be able to get further copies
until it is officially realeased. (Well, that's what she said anyway, I'm
sure it will still be possible to get copies, but not for John Q Public...)

will production versions be shipping?"  The answer --- "About 6 months from
now."  Grrrr!  If I released software 6 months after beta testing, we'd
be in deep trouble.  I understand the need to make sure bugs found in
Beta are fixed, but 6 months?!  Also, what about those of us who are
willing to pay for an early, unsupported, possibly buggy version, just
so we can start upgrading our products to be prepared when it is released?
Again, I say "Grrrr!"  If anyone knows anything more on this, please
speak up!

--
Mike Bryan (mbryan@netcom.com, {claris,apple}!netcom!mbryan)
W:408/733-6565 H:408/738-2479  Sunnyvale, CA