[comp.os.msdos.misc] VT220 Terminal Emulator query

jrd@cc.usu.edu (03/23/91)

	There are a number of VT220 level, and recently some VT320 level
terminal emulators in the commercial marketplace. They tend to be expensive
because these beasts are complicated. The lowest cost VT300 level emulator
is MS-DOS Kermit (v3.10 is the current release), price is free, performance
is rated as pretty good (as good or better than most commercial offerings).
MSK also lets one redefine the keyboard at will. Other than that I haven't
seen any free terminal emulators of the VT200 and up class, and having
written the MSK one I can well understand why people have been reluctant to
attempt the task.
	Joe D.

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (03/28/91)

In a message to All <28 Mar 91 09:09> Jrd@cc.usu.edu wrote:

 Jr> From: jrd@cc.usu.edu
 Jr> Date: 22 Mar 91 22:42:38 GMT
 Jr> Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.misc

 Jr> because these beasts are complicated. The lowest cost VT300 level emulator
 Jr> is MS-DOS Kermit (v3.10 is the current
 Jr> release), price is free, performance
 Jr> is rated as pretty good (as good or
 Jr> better than most commercial offerings).
 Jr> MSK also lets one redefine the keyboard at will. Other than that I haven't
 Jr> seen any free terminal emulators of the VT200 and up class, and having
 Jr> written the MSK one I can well understand why people have been reluctant to
 Jr> attempt the task.

If I could get ahold of the specs for VT-220 I would love to attempt this.
My specialty is terminal programming!

Greg.Smith@bohemia.metronet.org

--- XRS!% 4.10DV
 * Origin: Avatar or bust! (Quick 1:104/477.11)

Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith

mamason@mbunix.mitre.org (Mason) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar22.164238.47135@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:

>	There are a number of VT220 level, and recently some VT320 level
>terminal emulators in the commercial marketplace. They tend to be expensive
>because these beasts are complicated. The lowest cost VT300 level emulator
>is MS-DOS Kermit (v3.10 is the current release), price is free, performance
>is rated as pretty good (as good or better than most commercial offerings).
>MSK also lets one redefine the keyboard at will. Other than that I haven't
>seen any free terminal emulators of the VT200 and up class, and having
>written the MSK one I can well understand why people have been reluctant to
>attempt the task.
>	Joe D.

Crosstalk Communicator includes vt320 emulation, and at least
recently, you could upgrade from a competing product for $35.00 +
handling. I've been using Crosstalk Communicator for a while, after
running through most of the other competing products, and I like it a lot.
|Marc A. Mason		| The MITRE Corporation  |
|Technical Assistant	| Burlington Road        |
|UNIX Systems		| Bedford, Massachusetts |
|(617)-377-3231		| 01730		         |
|mamason@mitre.org	|                        |