[comp.os.msdos.misc] Which DOS should I get?

dawdy@tellabs.com (Dan Dawdy) (03/29/91)

I am buying a new 386DX/25 with a 130MEG hard drive.  I am not
sure which DOS version to get.  I have a 286 w/65MEG drive now,
running 3.2.  Of course I have two 33MEG partitions which gives
me a C and D drive.  I really don't want to now have a C,D,E,F & F
drive.  I can get a copy of DOS 4.0 (IBM) for a good price (free)
but see a DOS 4.01 out there.  Will both of these let me "see"
the full size on the C prompt?  What was the differance between
4.0 and 4.01?  I see people talking about 4DOS but I can't FTP
from my sight :-(  Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Daniel

Dawdy@tellabs.com

moore@iastate.edu (Moore Brian Joseph) (03/30/91)

In <5706@tellab5.tellabs.com> dawdy@tellabs.com (Dan Dawdy) writes:
.
.
.
> What was the differance between 4.0 and 4.01?
.
.
.

Usually when there is a minute version number change, there is a bug fix
involved, and that's what they did.  4.0 was buggy and 4.01 supposedly fixed
the bugs.

  /                                  /                                    /
 /  Brian J. Moore                  /                  moore@iastate.edu /
/__________________________________/____________________________________/

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (03/30/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1991 16:44:31 GMT

In article <5706@tellab5.tellabs.com> dawdy@tellabs.com (Dan Dawdy) writes:
>I am buying a new 386DX/25 with a 130MEG hard drive.  I am not
>sure which DOS version to get. [...]
>4.0 and 4.01?  I see people talking about 4DOS but I can't FTP
>from my sight :-(  Any help would be great.

Now you're talking... :)
Wait for a couple of months, get DOS 5.0. All features of 4.01, single
partitions, + more, without the bugs of 4.01.
4DOS is not DOS, it is a COMMAND.COM replacement. It will run on top of
DOS 5.0 very nicely (I know, I do it). You don't have to ftp 4DOS, you
can get it directly from JP Software, email them for details at:
75300.210@compuserve.com
Good luck - if you have to use DOS, 5.0 and 4DOS are a nice combination.

Tony

daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Ruby) (04/01/91)

While we're on the subject of dosses (dosum, dosi?),
I have ms dos 3.2, which has served me fine, but now that
I've upgraded from a 720k drive to a 1.4m drive on my 286, I can only format
1.4m disks.  format /4 gives me "bad track 0" errors.  I'm
figuring that I need to upgrade to dos 3.3 at least.  Does this make
sense?

Does anybody know the differences between dos 3.2 and 3.3 (and how
about 4.01?).
Does anybody have a history file of dos?  I'd be curious about the
differences between the various dosses as they progressed from 1 to 5.

BMS101@psuvm.psu.edu (04/01/91)

the format command is basicly the same from version 1 on it changes in
      version 4.0. Prior to 4.0 the /4 switch is for doing a 360 in a 1.2
      to do a 720 in a 1.44 you must use /N:9 /T:80. in dos 4.0 you would
      issue the size switch like /F:720 or /F:360 etc...
-----------------
              B  O  R  N    T  O    C  O  D  E !
Luck is directly    |BRADLEY SMALL        | Is it really "PROGRAMMING"
proportional to how |BMS101 AT PSUVM      | when it works right the
hard one works!     |BMS101@PSUVM.PSU.EDU | first time.

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (04/01/91)

From article <1991Mar31.195238.24513@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, by daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Ruby):

> Does anybody know the differences between dos 3.2 and 3.3 (and how
> about 4.01?).

I believe there were some floating point exception fixes in DOS 3.3,
as well as some other thingies.  Check the patches directory of the
MS C Compiler (5.1 had 'em anyway).  They explain the problems and
have source patches for 3.2.

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

zanolla@motcid.UUCP (Donald J. Zanolla) (04/01/91)

daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Ruby) writes:

>While we're on the subject of dosses (dosum, dosi?),
>I have ms dos 3.2, which has served me fine, but now that
>I've upgraded from a 720k drive to a 1.4m drive on my 286, I can only format
>1.4m disks.  format /4 gives me "bad track 0" errors.  I'm
>figuring that I need to upgrade to dos 3.3 at least.  Does this make
>sense?

>Does anybody know the differences between dos 3.2 and 3.3 (and how
>about 4.01?).
>Does anybody have a history file of dos?  I'd be curious about the
>differences between the various dosses as they progressed from 1 to 5.

Part of your problem could be your BIOS chip.  I have a 286 and have been
told that if I want to go from 720k to 1.44m I must upgrade my BIOS chip.

I do not think you have to go to dos 3.3 .

--
*                                                  /\  /\
Donald J. Zanolla                                 //\\//\\  work:1-708-632-2228

buddington-paul@cs.yale.edu (Paul Buddington) (04/03/91)

daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Ruby) writes:

>While we're on the subject of dosses (dosum, dosi?),
>I have ms dos 3.2, which has served me fine, but now that
>I've upgraded from a 720k drive to a 1.4m drive on my 286, I can only format
>1.4m disks.  format /4 gives me "bad track 0" errors.  I'm
>figuring that I need to upgrade to dos 3.3 at least.  Does this make
>sense?

According to the DOS manuals I've seen:
   DOS 3.1 does not support any 3.5-inch drive types
   DOS 3.2 added support for 720k but NOT 1.44m drives
   DOS 3.3 added support for 1.44m drives

I don't know how you managed to format 1.44m disks on your system with
DOS 3.2, but I've seen stranger things happen (like IBM allowing you to
format 720k disks at 1.44m with no complaints!)

I'd say you should switch to DOS 3.3 (at least).  That's what I'm using,
and I have no desire to switch to 4.01.  But DOS 5 looks like it might
have a few worthwhile features - I guess we'll have to wait and see.

- Paul
Paul Buddington                                          Yale University
Buddington-Paul@CS.Yale.Edu or YaleCS.bitnet
QuickMail: Paul_Buddington.CIS@YCCATSMTP.YCC.Yale.Edu

system@syzzle.chi.il.us (SYSTEM 0PERATOR) (04/03/91)

dawdy@tellabs.com (Dan Dawdy) writes:

> I am buying a new 386DX/25 with a 130MEG hard drive.  I am not
> sure which DOS version to get.  I have a 286 w/65MEG drive now,
> running 3.2.  Of course I have two 33MEG partitions which gives
> me a C and D drive.  I really don't want to now have a C,D,E,F & F
> drive.  I can get a copy of DOS 4.0 (IBM) for a good price (free)
> but see a DOS 4.01 out there.  Will both of these let me "see"
> the full size on the C prompt?  What was the differance between
> 4.0 and 4.01?  I see people talking about 4DOS but I can't FTP
> from my sight :-(  Any help would be great.

For larger partitions (larger than 32MB), you can use a program such
as Ontrack's Disk Manager. Which uses a device drive to allow larger
partitions. This will work with dos 3.3 (and I think 3.2). You could
go to dos 4.0 (4.01 is a bug fix of 4.0). I have heard many people
expressing that they do not like dos 4.x (for whatever reasons).
Compaq dos 3.3 will allow large disk partitions. DRDOS 5.0 is available
now and also allows large disk partitions. MS-DOS 5.0 *should* be out
real soon also.
	4DOS will work with any of the above, and is a command.com
replacement (it is not a full OS), and offers many commands and
features which are not provided by all these OSs, and is well worth
checking out!

+------------------------+---------------------------------+
|   Al Oomens (awol)     | Inside every LARGE program is a |
| awol@syzzle.chi.il.us  | small program trying to get out |
+------------------------+---------------------------------+

daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Ruby) (04/03/91)

buddington-paul@cs.yale.edu (Paul Buddington) writes:
>According to the DOS manuals I've seen:
>   DOS 3.1 does not support any 3.5-inch drive types
>   DOS 3.2 added support for 720k but NOT 1.44m drives
>   DOS 3.3 added support for 1.44m drives

>I don't know how you managed to format 1.44m disks on your system with
>DOS 3.2, but I've seen stranger things happen (like IBM allowing you to
>format 720k disks at 1.44m with no complaints!)

That's what I thought! I'd always heard you had to have DOS 3.3 to
get high density stuff.  Anyhow, I have a theory to why it works:
I have a '286 so I can set what kind of drive I use in the CMOS.
I figure that the CMOS knows the size of the drive so format goes right
ahead and formats it to it's capacity.  It would explain why I can't
format low density disks since the drive and DOS aren't actually talking
to eachother.

I should get a copy of DOS 3.1 and try this out.  If it formats it, the
'286 is taking care of everything.  If it doesn't, I have poltergeists.

----------
David Ruby          daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu          University of Illinois
"This calls for a special blend of psychology and extreme violence" vyvyan

steve@cs.fau.edu (Steve Smith) (04/03/91)

<I can't figure out how to quote your message>

One difference between DOS 3.2 & 3.3 is that 3.3 is the
first version to support 1.44 MB floppy drives.
     (_____    |   (______    Internet: steves@cusdec.acc.fau.edu
___________)___|__________)   Bitnet:   S_SMITH@ACC.FAU.EDU

ganzer@cod.NOSC.MIL (Mark T. Ganzer) (04/03/91)

In article <1991Apr03.014036.21071@cs.fau.edu> steve@cs.fau.edu (Steve Smith) writes:

>One difference between DOS 3.2 & 3.3 is that 3.3 is the
>first version to support 1.44 MB floppy drives.

This is not entirely true. There were OEM versions of 3.2 that supported
1.44MB floppy drives. In particular, Zenith's DOS 3.21 supported them, and
I have another OEM version of 3.21 at home that claims to support 1.44
drives (although I haven't tried it).

--
Mark T. Ganzer                    Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego
UUCP: {bonnie,sdcsvax,gould9,hp-sdd} - !nosc!ganzer

billj@uop.edu (Snugglupagus) (04/05/91)

zanolla@motcid.UUCP (Donald J. Zanolla) writes:

>daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Ruby) writes:

>>While we're on the subject of dosses (dosum, dosi?),
>>I have ms dos 3.2, which has served me fine, but now that
>>I've upgraded from a 720k drive to a 1.4m drive on my 286, I can only format
>>1.4m disks.  format /4 gives me "bad track 0" errors.  I'm
>>figuring that I need to upgrade to dos 3.3 at least.  Does this make
>>sense?

survey says...BRRAAAATTT!!!!  format /4 is used for 360k floppies only.
to format a 720k disk in a 1.44M drive, use format /t:80 /n:9.  this
will tell it how many tracks and sectors the disk has.  it's a pain in
the butt, but it works.

>>Does anybody know the differences between dos 3.2 and 3.3 (and how
>>about 4.01?).
>>Does anybody have a history file of dos?  I'd be curious about the
>>differences between the various dosses as they progressed from 1 to 5.

WHOOPS!  excuse me, i'm wrong!  i just reviewed the msdos 3.3 manual,
and it says that support for 1.44M 3.5" disks was added with 3.3.

anyway, here are the "printed" differences between 3.2 and 3.3:

	- performance improvements.  several internal enhancements and a
	  new command fastopen, improve ms-dos performance, especially
	  with applications that use many files.
	- support for 1.44 megabyte, 3-1/2 inch disks.
	- support for four serial (com) ports.  previous versions of
	  ms-dos supported two.
	- enhancements to config.sys commands including buffers,
	  stacks, device.  ms-dos 3.3 also includes a new
	  config.sys command, country.
	- ability to use partitions larger than 32 megabytes.  you can
	  create extended dos partitions for disks larger than 32
	  megabytes with fdisk.
	- improved national language support.  ms-dos 3.3 offers the
	  ability to select alternate language-specific character sets
	  (called code pages) instead of the standard u.s. character
	  set.  three new commands - chcp, nlsfunc, and select, and
	  several enhanced ms-dos commands, including keyb and mode,
	  support code page selection.  in addition, the config.sys
	  command, country, and two new installable device drivers allow
	  you to select language-specific code pages.
	- enhanced batch processing capabilities.
	- ability to make a system disk formatted by an earlier version
	  of ms-dos bootable with ms-dos 3.3.  this is possible because
	  ms-dos 3.3 allows the io.sys system file to be noncontiguous
	  on the disk.
	- various enhancements to existing commands, including
	  append	format		mode
	  attrib	graphics	restore
	  backup	keyb		time
	  date

whew!  i hope this helps.  a lot of that is just microsoft flexing its
word power, but it sounds like that in order to use your new floppy
drive, you have to upgrade to at least 3.3.  a few months ago, i copied
a pirated version of pc-dos 4.0 from our labs.  i was going to try it
like shareware - if i liked it, i'd buy it.  to make a long story short,
i ended up trashing the thing and going back to 3.3.  4.0 takes up TWICE
the hard disk space as 3.3, with no readily apparent reason.

>Part of your problem could be your BIOS chip.  I have a 286 and have been
>told that if I want to go from 720k to 1.44m I must upgrade my BIOS chip.

hmmm....strange.  i have a 286/10 with a 1.44M disk and it works just
fine.  of course, my bios IS f*cked up so i can't get past the 640k
barrier, but....

>I do not think you have to go to dos 3.3 .

yes you do.

>--
>*                                                  /\  /\
>Donald J. Zanolla                                 //\\//\\  work:1-708-632-2228
>Motorola Inc.; Mail: IL27/2240                   ///\\//\\\ fax: 1-708-632-4552
>1501 W. Shure Dr, Arlington Heights, IL 60004   ///  \/  \\\

snugglupagus
  "Steppin' on toes is a common routine    |  Send email/flames to:
   Sneakin' up from behind                 |     billj@uop.uop.edu
   You won't get anywhere                  |-----------------------------------
   Dancin' out of time" - Deborah Gibson   |  Disclaimer:  It's all mine!

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (04/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1991 23:03:03 GMT

In article <1991Mar31.195238.24513@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> daver@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (David Ruby) writes:
>I've upgraded from a 720k drive to a 1.4m drive on my 286, I can only format
>1.4m disks.  format /4 gives me "bad track 0" errors.  I'm
>figuring that I need to upgrade to dos 3.3 at least.  Does this make
>sense?

No. Instead try format a: /t:80 /n:9
You were trying to format a 720K diskette to 5.25" 360K format... doesn't work.
If you want to switch to another DOS, wait a couple of months for 5.0. Much
better than 4.01 and you can install it without destroying any of your data
(unless you want to get rid of silly multiple partitions).

Tony

>Does anybody know the differences between dos 3.2 and 3.3 (and how
>about 4.01?).
>Does anybody have a history file of dos?  I'd be curious about the
>differences between the various dosses as they progressed from 1 to 5.

einari@rhi.hi.is (Einar Indridason) (04/07/91)

What about a DOS called 'UNIX'?????

--
Internet:    einari@rhi.hi.is        |   "Just give me my command line and drag
UUCP:    ..!mcsun!isgate!rhi!einari  |   the GUIs to the waste basket!!!!"

Surgeon Generals warning:  Masking the 8th bit can seriously damage your brain!!