[comp.os.msdos.misc] RAMDISK

lee@infonode.ingr.com (Lee McCain) (04/10/91)

Hi Netlanders,

This may be a stupid question, so please pardon me if it is!!

Does anyone out there know if there is a problem in creating RAMDISK larger than
4MB.  I seem to be having a problem creating one larger than 4MB.

I have a 386/33 with 8MB using QEMM386 v5.1 to convert the extended memory to
expanded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lee McCain

...!uunet!ingr!se_bbs!lee

     -or-

lee@infonode.ingr.com

jwi@cbnewsj.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr10.135053.21775@infonode.ingr.com> lee@infonode.ingr.com (Lee McCain) writes:

> Does anyone out there know if there is a problem in creating RAMDISK larger than
> 4MB.  I seem to be having a problem creating one larger than 4MB.

> I have a 386/33 with 8MB using QEMM386 v5.1 to convert the extended memory to
> expanded.

RAMDISK takes a maximum of 4MB.  I use two of them, one holds the swap area for
PCTOOLS and also holds my frequently used programs (copied up from disk c in
AUTOEXEC.BAT), the other is for data.

Run them directly in extended, don't bother with expanded.  Extended is faster.

Jim Winer -- jwi@mtfme.att.com -- Opinions not represent employer.
"The change (due to distance from the center of the earth) in the
acceleration due to gravity is trivial for dropping cats from high
buildings or airplanes, but must be taken into account when
launching them from satellites or far planets."
						Bill Schulz