[comp.os.msdos.misc] Ramdrive.sys In Extended Memory

rreid@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ralph Reid III) (04/01/91)

I have included the following line in my config.sys file:

device=c:\dos\ramdrive.sys 1024 /e

I am attempting to set up a 1 MEG RAM disk in extended memory on a 386
system, which (supposedly) has 4 MB of RAM installed.  HOwever, so
far I have only been able to get a disk size of less than 400KB.  What
must I do to get a larger RAM disk?

--
Ralph.  SAAC member.
ARS: N6BNO

sad@buhub.bradley.edu (Shrijay Dalal) (04/02/91)

In <1991Apr01.154431.3609@ecst.csuchico.edu> rreid@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ralph Reid III) writes:

>I have included the following line in my config.sys file:

>device=c:\dos\ramdrive.sys 1024 /e

>I am attempting to set up a 1 MEG RAM disk in extended memory on a 386
>system, which (supposedly) has 4 MB of RAM installed.  HOwever, so
>far I have only been able to get a disk size of less than 400KB.  What
>must I do to get a larger RAM disk?

Do not use RamDisk.Sys.  The correct driver to use to set up extended
memory as a RAM drive is VDISK.SYS.  The syntax you need to use is:

DEVICE=VDISK.SYS[bbbb][sss][eee][/E:{max}]
where
  bbbb = specifies the virtual disk in size Kb.  The minimum value you
         can specify is 16; the maximum is determined by the amount of
         free memory on your computer.  The default value is 64 Kb.

  sss = specifies the sector size in bytes.  The value may be 128,
        256, or 512.  The default value is 128 bytes.

  eee = specifies the maximum number of entries alloed in the root
        directory of the virtual disk.  The minimum value is 16; the
        maximum is 1024.  The default value is 64.

So, you would put in you config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\DOS\VDISK.SYS 1024 /E

If your extended memory requires a driver for some programs to
recognize it, place it before the above statement in your config.sys
file.  (i.e. DEVICE=C:\DOS\AEMM.SYS)

Hope that helps...

Shrijay Dalal                       | "Sometimes I think the surest sign that
Internet: sad@buhub.bradley.edu     | intelligent life exists elsewhere in the
        am819@cleveland.freenet.edu | universe is that none of it has tried
                                    | to contact us." -- Calvin of C&H

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (04/06/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1991 05:36:18 GMT

In article <1991Apr2.043333.2073@bradley.bradley.edu> sad@buhub.bradley.edu (Shrijay Dalal) writes:
>In <1991Apr01.154431.3609@ecst.csuchico.edu> rreid@ecst.csuchico.edu (Ralph Reid III) writes:
>>device=c:\dos\ramdrive.sys 1024 /e
>>I am attempting to set up a 1 MEG RAM disk in extended memory on a 386
>Do not use RamDisk.Sys.  The correct driver to use to set up extended
>memory as a RAM drive is VDISK.SYS.  The syntax you need to use is:

Why would that possibly matter?  I use ramdrive in exactly the way Ralph is
describing and have a 2Mb disk in extended memory in the _smallest_ of several
configuration I use.
Can you explain your recommendation - I am curious.

Tony

<EHEL1703@Ryerson.CA> (04/08/91)

Also curious about your recommendation. I have absolutley no problem with
RAMDRIVE.SYS. However I'm wondering why a larger disksize (ie. 8MEG) could not
be used with this driver. Trying it results in an invalid parameter. ?

Xavier

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) (04/10/91)

From article <91098.030653EHEL1703@Ryerson.CA>, by EHEL1703@Ryerson.CA:
> Also curious about your recommendation. I have absolutley no problem with
> RAMDRIVE.SYS. However I'm wondering why a larger disksize (ie. 8MEG) could not
> be used with this driver. Trying it results in an invalid parameter. ?

Before I run out and get another 4meg, does anybody know if the
VDISK.SYS supplied with PC DOS work for say 7meg of ram to become a
7meg virtual disk?  I am using it as a 3meg ram drive now.

valley@uchicago (Doug Dougherty) (04/11/91)

ong@d.cs.okstate.edu (ONG ENG TENG) writes:

>From article <91098.030653EHEL1703@Ryerson.CA>, by EHEL1703@Ryerson.CA:
>> Also curious about your recommendation. I have absolutley no problem with
>> RAMDRIVE.SYS. However I'm wondering why a larger disksize (ie. 8MEG) could not
>> be used with this driver. Trying it results in an invalid parameter. ?

>Before I run out and get another 4meg, does anybody know if the
>VDISK.SYS supplied with PC DOS work for say 7meg of ram to become a
>7meg virtual disk?  I am using it as a 3meg ram drive now.

Some do; some (most?) don't.  But there are plenty of PD Ramdisk
programs that don't suffer from the silly 4M limit (Good side question:
Anyone know why VDISK [& other OEM supplied ramdisk prgs] suffer from
this limit?) and you should just use those.

The best thing to do is convert all your extended into expanded, then
use XPANDISK/XPANBOSS from PC Mag.  This program allows you to
dynamically resize the ramdisk.
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) (04/12/91)

The News Manager)
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1991 04:02:42 GMT

In article <1991Apr10.062716.1929@d.cs.okstate.edu> (ONG ENG TENG) writes:
>does anybody know if the VDISK.SYS supplied with PC DOS work for say
>7meg of ram to become a 7meg virtual disk?

It does in DOS 5.0. It didn't in 3.3. I don't know about 4.01. There
used to be a limitation of 4096K ramdrive size.

Tony

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (04/14/91)

In a message to All <11 Apr 91 14:16> Ehel1703@ryerson.ca wrote:

 Eh> From: EHEL1703@Ryerson.CA
 Eh> Date: 8 Apr 91 08:06:53 GMT
 Eh> Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.misc

 Eh> Also curious about your recommendation. I have absolutley no problem with
 Eh> RAMDRIVE.SYS. However I'm wondering why a
 Eh> larger disksize (ie. 8MEG) could not
 Eh> be used with this driver. Trying it results in an invalid parameter. ?

It probably has to do with a Word (max 65535) variable being used for the
disk size in certian increments (16k or 64k for example).  This wouldn't
allow for 8Megs.

Greg.Smith@bohmeia.metronet.org

--- XRS!% 4.10DV
 * Origin: Avatar or bust! (Quick 1:104/477.11)

Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith