[comp.os.msdos.misc] Problems with Data Logic /bin/sh

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (04/17/91)

I recently obtained a copy of the Data Logic Ltd. version of /bin/sh
for MS-DOS and installed it.  It seems to work okay, except for two
small problems:

1. My memory configuration is as follows: 640K each of base, expanded,
and extended memory.  The Everex EV-159 expanded memory manager is in
charge of expanded memory (fully supports LIM 4.0), and Microsoft
HIMEM.SYS is in charge of extended memory.  I also have Quarterdeck
QRAM to load TSRs high.  At any rate, I usually have around 600K of
extended memory free, and about 64K of expanded memory free.  So, I
tried to set up the shell to swap to extended memory by typing "swap
extend" at the shell prompt.  However, whenever I try to run an
external program, I get a "Fatal: Memory chain corrupt" error and then
"<command>:  cannot execute".  EMS and disk swapping both work fine,
but I'd really prefer to swap to XMS.

2. I'd like to make the history commands as similar to the EMACS
history mode of Bash.  All of the key-bindings work fine, except for
Control-P for Previous-Command.  This seems to be intercepted by the
BIOS and intrpreted as a "printer echo toggle" command (just like
Ctrl-PrintScrn).  Is there any way to bypass the BIOS handling of this
keystroke, or disable it?

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (04/18/91)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) writes:

>I recently obtained a copy of the Data Logic Ltd. version of /bin/sh
>for MS-DOS and installed it.  It seems to work okay, except for two
>small problems:

>2. I'd like to make the history commands as similar to the EMACS
>history mode of Bash.  All of the key-bindings work fine, except for
>Control-P for Previous-Command.  This seems to be intercepted by the
>BIOS and intrpreted as a "printer echo toggle" command (just like
>Ctrl-PrintScrn).  Is there any way to bypass the BIOS handling of this
>keystroke, or disable it?

Hi Mark!

This ^P thing seems like a potential FAQ.  I sure see it a lot...
(Actually, the "I can't swap to XMS" thing is pretty close to an FAQ as
well)
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

mju@mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us (Marc Unangst) (04/19/91)

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:
> This ^P thing seems like a potential FAQ.  I sure see it a lot...
> (Actually, the "I can't swap to XMS" thing is pretty close to an FAQ as
> well)

So, OG, is there an answer to either question, or is it just going to
become a FAQ without a FGA (Frequently Given Answer)?