[comp.os.msdos.misc] HELP - files for the DOS system

andrew@cs.arizona.edu (Andrei V. Zaitsev) (04/13/91)

The DOS seems to be the less self-documented system
than any other system I know. I cannot memorize all
the paramateres of FORMAT (XCOPY,etc) command and
when I don't have a DOS manual with me , nothing can
help me.
Does somebody know where I can get a file containing
a brief description of the DOS commands ?
(Of course , I can take a manual and create such I file
by myself , but I suspect that somebody could have
already done this job before me ... ).

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi) (04/13/91)

In article <1386@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> andrew@cs.arizona.edu (Andrei V. Zaitsev) writes:
:
>Does somebody know where I can get a file containing
>a brief description of the DOS commands ?
:

Get /pc/INDEX from our anonymous ftp site and take a look at the
/pc/doshelp directory.

Prof. Timo Salmi
Moderating at garbo.uwasa.fi anonymous ftp archives 128.214.12.37

ralphs@seattleu.edu (Ralph Sims) (04/14/91)

andrew@cs.arizona.edu (Andrei V. Zaitsev) writes:

> Does somebody know where I can get a file containing
> a brief description of the DOS commands ?

Along with a myriad of DOS help TSR's, etc., there's 4DOS, which
will replace command.com and provide a handy DOs help guide via
the F1 key.  It's a good  pllication to have, in any event, as
there are many things in there that MICROSOFT never thought of.

--
                    halcyon!ralphs@seattleu.edu
  The 23:00 News and Mail Service - +1 206 292 9048 - Seattle, WA USA

gerardis@cs.mcgill.ca (Tony GERARDIS) (04/14/91)

In article <1386@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> andrew@cs.arizona.edu (Andrei V. Zaitsev) writes:
>The DOS seems to be the less self-documented system
>than any other system I know. I cannot memorize all
>the paramateres of FORMAT (XCOPY,etc) command and
>when I don't have a DOS manual with me , nothing can
>help me.
>Does somebody know where I can get a file containing
>a brief description of the DOS commands ?
>(Of course , I can take a manual and create such I file
>by myself , but I suspect that somebody could have
>already done this job before me ... ).

Try using MSDOS 5.0 if you can get your hands on it! You just type:
<command> /?  and you get the full syntax, explanation and parameters
for ALL of the executable commands! or you can simply type: help
<command>   and get the same effect! I used to have A program which used
to be a help utility for MSDOS 3.3 so I know independent one's exist.
Actually it was even PD, I had gotten it from an old version of COMPUTE
magazine (that came with disks)!!!

						   Tony Gerardis!

fisher@sc2a.unige.ch (04/16/91)

In article <1386@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, andrew@cs.arizona.edu (Andrei V. Zaitsev) writes:

> Does somebody know where I can get a file containing
> a brief description of the DOS commands ?

Try the directory PD1:<MSDOS.INFO> at Simtel20.  The help program suiting me
best is the one called RBHELP.ARC (it contains a help file for dos 3.3, with
additional info on 4.0).

richard@calvin.ee.cornell.edu (Richard Brittain - VOS hacker) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr16.082409.403@sc2a.unige.ch> fisher@sc2a.unige.ch writes:
>In article <1386@caslon.cs.arizona.edu>, andrew@cs.arizona.edu (Andrei V. Zaitsev) writes:

>> Does somebody know where I can get a file containing
>> a brief description of the DOS commands ?

>Try the directory PD1:<MSDOS.INFO> at Simtel20.  The help program suiting me
>best is the one called RBHELP.ARC (it contains a help file for dos 3.3, with
>additional info on 4.0).

Glad somebody found this useful.  The latest version on simtel is RBHELP30.ZIP
which does everything the early version did, and has browsing and paging also.
The actual help text however, is pretty much identical except for the addition
of cross reference info.

--
Richard Brittain,                 School of Elect. Eng.,  Eng. and Theory Center
                                  Cornell university, Ithaca, NY 14853