[comp.os.msdos.misc] dos

fester@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Lea Fester) (04/18/91)

I'd like recommendations for good DOS (or windows) based computer
chess games.  Good means good quality chess - interface should be
graphical (preferably mouse for input), but nothing snazzy required.
I appreciate all information, but please make it detailed enough for
me to be able to track down where I can get it.  The stores around
here don't seem to be interested in chess software.

Thanks in advance,
Lea
fester@cs.washington.edu
uw-beaver!wolf.cs.washington.edu!fester

spel@hippo.ru.ac.za (Dr. E.W. Lisse) (04/21/91)

In <1991Apr18.072413.18913@beaver.cs.washington.edu> fester@wolf.cs.washington.edu (Lea Fester) writes:

>I'd like recommendations for good DOS (or windows) based computer
>chess games.  Good means good quality chess - interface should be
>graphical (preferably mouse for input), but nothing snazzy required.
>I appreciate all information, but please make it detailed enough for
>me to be able to track down where I can get it.  The stores around
>here don't seem to be interested in chess software.

>Thanks in advance,
>Lea
>fester@cs.washington.edu
>uw-beaver!wolf.cs.washington.edu!fester

I have seen psion chess but I don't know where to get it. It seems to be
quite strong, the interface is not mouse but cursor based, but a simple
menu program for ms-mouse fixes it easily.

My favourite is battlechess though, It was reviewed by Jerry Pournelle
some months ago in his column. It is marvelous. I don't know how strong
it is because I am trying to loose as many pieces as quicks as possible.
Reason for this is that the pieces kill each other in 3D and sound.
Great Stuff!

regards, el
--
Dr. Eberhard W. Lisse       (spel@hippo.ru.ac.ZA)