[net.ham-radio] Active antennas for shortwave listening

dennis@vrdxhq.UUCP (R. Dennis Gibbs) (02/13/86)

   I have recently returned to the hobby of shortwave listening after an absence
of over 10 years.  I recently bought an ICOM R71A receiver, which is far  better
than the National HRO-60 I used to use.  I am  having a  problem concerning  the
choice of a proper antenna for Shortwave Listening.

   I live in a third floor apartment.  Currently I am using a 30' length of wire
which lies around the perimeter of my listening room.  I am not permitted to run
wires outside my window, nor  am I allowed to  hang any wires  from my  balcony.
My only alternatives for an antenna are a long wire strung  around the  room, or
perhaps an active antenna.

   I am considering purchasing a remote active  antenna, such  as the  MFJ 1024.
This antenna is small enough (only 54 inches) to be mounted outside, on my  bal-
cony.  My other alternative is  to purchase an antenna tuner and attach  my  30'
length of wire to it.

   My question is: Which  will give  me better  performance, an  outdoor-mounted
active antenna, or an indoor 30 foot longwire antenna with an antenna tuner?  It
has always been my understanding that a  properly constructed long  wire antenna
mounted outdoors will outperform an  active antenna.  But  since my  "long wire"
antenna can only be 30 feet long, and can only be  indoors, I  am thinking  that
the outdoor active antenna might give me better performance in this case.

   I would appreciate  any opinions and advice concerning this  matter.

                              Dennis Gibbs
                       ..!{umcp-cs, seismo, verdix}!vrdxhq!dennis

gbr@mb2c.UUCP (Jerry Ruhno) (02/14/86)

>  I have recently returned to the hobby of shortwave listening after an absence
> of over 10 years...........
>
>  I live in a third floor apartment.  Currently I am using a 30' length of wire
> which lies around the perimeter of my listening room.  I am not permitted
> wires outside my window, nor am I allowed to hang any wires from my balcony...
>
>  I am considering purchasing a remote active  antenna, such  as the  MFJ 1024.
>  My other alternative is to purchase an antenna tuner and attach  my  30'
>  length of wire to it........
>
>  My question is: Which  will give  me better  performance, an  outdoor-mounted
> active antenna, or an indoor 30 foot longwire antenna with an antenna tuner?..

  I am also interested in the same information. There are two tuners that I
  know of that are for random longwire antennas. One is by MFJ ( I forget the
  model number) and the Mini-Tun by Grove Enterprises. Does any body have
  information on these tuners?

					Jerry Ruhno
					epsilon!mb2c!gbr

knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) (02/14/86)

> My only alternatives for an antenna are a long wire strung  around the  room, or
> perhaps an active antenna.
>
>    I am considering purchasing a remote active  antenna, such  as the  MFJ 1024.
> This antenna is small enough (only 54 inches) to be mounted outside, on my  bal-
> cony.  My other alternative is  to purchase an antenna tuner and attach  my  30'
> length of wire to it.
>                               Dennis Gibbs
>                        ..!{umcp-cs, seismo, verdix}!vrdxhq!dennis

I have been wondering about the Sony active antenna (or remote
antenna tuner?) advertised in the back of the instruction book
that came with the ICF-2002 I just bought at a hamfest.
It looks expensive, and all I know is from the picture
in the booklet.  Probably not many stores carry such a thing.

Does anyone have any experience, or even price info, on this
gadget?  I'm pretty sure it would work with any radio,
as the antenna connections on the ICF are nothing special.
	mike k	w9nrd

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (02/17/86)

In article <701@ihwpt.UUCP> knudsen@ihwpt.UUCP (mike knudsen) writes:

>I have been wondering about the Sony active antenna (or remote
>antenna tuner?) advertised in the back of the instruction book
>that came with the ICF-2002 I just bought at a hamfest.
>It looks expensive, and all I know is from the picture
>in the booklet.  Probably not many stores carry such a thing.
>
>Does anyone have any experience, or even price info, on this
>gadget?  I'm pretty sure it would work with any radio,
>as the antenna connections on the ICF are nothing special.
>	mike k	w9nrd

I've recently purchased an AN-1 with an ICF-2010.  The AN-1 cost me $79,
the 2010 was $269 at Whole Earth Access in Berkeley.  The AN-1 looks like
it would work with any receiver imaginable: it comes with a cord with two
mini-plugs, a cord with a mini-plug and a pair of alligator clips, a
"coupler" to slip over a telescopic antenna, and a "coupler" to rest the
receiver on.

Since I've never had an outdoor antenna here, it's hard for me to evaluate
its performance except to say that it certainly improves the signal
strength and quality of the telescoping antenna.

My only complaints with the AN-1 are that it requires six AA cells, and
although there is a jack for 9vdc input, no ac adapter is provided.

--
Maurice Weitman     9600   ..!{hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
       |           57600   (415)549-0280 voice   (415)549-0388 modem-2400
   this^is not       300   mcimail mweitman      source bdk788
     a pipe          110   P. O. Box 10019       Berkeley, CA  94709

wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) (02/20/86)

Check the latest (40th, 1986 issue) of the World Radio TV Handbook; many
libraries get this, and it might be findable in bookstores since it is
now distributed in the US by Billboard. In the back is a section of
equipment reviews, and a nice feature this year is a short column of
Larry Magne's detailing the "best" and "worst" of SWL equipment. One
category covered is active antennas. It will help steer you away from
buying any really bad units (I believe, working from memory, that the
Grove active antenna was one of the worst...)

Will

wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) (02/21/86)

Here is what that short "Best and Worst" article in the 1986 WRTH says
about active antennas:

Best: McKay Dymek/Stoner DA-100D
      Also, "almost anything made by Datong" was in the "Best" category.

Worst: Grove ANT-9 (Severe overloading problems)

Will

ai2q@ky2d-2.UUCP (Alex) (02/22/86)

> > My only alternatives for an antenna are a long wire strung  around the  room, or
> > perhaps an active antenna.
> >
> >    I am considering purchasing a remote active  antenna, such  as the  MFJ 1024.
> > This antenna is small enough (only 54 inches) to be mounted outside, on my  bal-
> > cony.  My other alternative is  to purchase an antenna tuner and attach  my  30'
> > length of wire to it.
> >                               Dennis Gibbs
> >                        ..!{umcp-cs, seismo, verdix}!vrdxhq!dennis
>
> I have been wondering about the Sony active antenna (or remote
> antenna tuner?) advertised in the back of the instruction book
> that came with the ICF-2002 I just bought at a hamfest.
> It looks expensive, and all I know is from the picture
> in the booklet.  Probably not many stores carry such a thing.
>
> Does anyone have any experience, or even price info, on this
> gadget?  I'm pretty sure it would work with any radio,
> as the antenna connections on the ICF are nothing special.
> 	mike k	w9nrd

I'd suggest you take a look at some of the designs W7ZOI published
in the ARRL publication "Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur."
I built up a direct coupled amplifier using four stages and used it
with a homebrew loop antenna to achieve incredible results down on 75 meters.
By turning the loop, you can eliminate local QRN yet still hear as much on the
2' loop indoors as I could on the G5RV outside (wish I could transmit on it!) HIActive antennas are really only limited by the inherent noise in the amplifier
itself. Do not have any experience with the MFJ or Sony (or Palomar) but I
can tell you that active antennas work - and work well! Good luck es 73
Alex AI2Q, Freeport, Long Island, New York

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (02/25/86)

I've used a Dymek DA-100 antenna for a few years, about ten years ago.

Good results on BC and LF, not so good at ten meters.    With the whip
on top of a 20-40' grounded tower, noise pickup was much reduced.
Cross mod from 100 kHz Loran-C was a nuisance, and I've blown three input
fet's over the years.  Make sure you get one that isn't potted!

It's been a while since I've experimented with active antennas, but I'd
be tempted to try a source follower with a power fet.