[comp.os.msdos.misc] ms-dos file names longer than 8 characters?

rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE) (03/28/91)

When will ms-dos have file names longer than 8 characters?
4.0?  5.0?  Never?  Why not?
	Rick Carle

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (03/29/91)

From article <2179@raybed2.msd.ray.com>, by rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE):
> When will ms-dos have file names longer than 8 characters?
> 4.0?  5.0?  Never?  Why not?
> 	Rick Carle

I have figured out a way to do this.  However, I have not programmed it
up yet, it.  I like money, anybody interested???  Oooh i hate myself
for being like that!

|Tom Hite					|  The views expressed by me |
|Manager, Product development			|  are mine, not necessarily |
|CADSI (Computer Aided Design Software Inc.	|  the views of CADSI.       |

yow@riddler.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 283-4009) (03/29/91)

From article <2179@raybed2.msd.ray.com>, by rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com
(RICK CARLE):
> When will ms-dos have file names longer than 8 characters?
> 4.0?  5.0?  Never?  Why not?
> 	Rick Carle

Microsoft is claiming DOS 6.0 will have an installable file system.
Which will provide longer filenames.

				Bill Yow
				yow@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov

My opinions are my own.

ralf+@cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar28.163451@riddler.Berkeley.EDU> yow@riddler.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 283-4009) writes:
}From article <2179@raybed2.msd.ray.com>, by rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com
}(RICK CARLE):
}
}Microsoft is claiming DOS 6.0 will have an installable file system.
}Which will provide longer filenames.

The problem isn't getting long filenames into DOS (you could do that in any
version from 3.1 on up by using the network redirector to create an
installable file system), but rather in getting the installed base of
applications to support them.
--
{backbone}!cs.cmu.edu!ralf  ARPA: RALF@CS.CMU.EDU   FIDO: Ralf Brown 1:129/3.1
BITnet: RALF%CS.CMU.EDU@CMUCCVMA   AT&Tnet: (412)268-3053 (school)   FAX: ask

fdq@athena.mit.edu (unknown) (03/29/91)

   From: yow@riddler.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 283-4009)
   Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.misc
   Date: 28 Mar 91 22:34:51 GMT
   Sender: news@aio.jsc.nasa.gov (USENET News System)

   From article <2179@raybed2.msd.ray.com>, by rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com
   (RICK CARLE):
   > When will ms-dos have file names longer than 8 characters?
   > 4.0?  5.0?  Never?  Why not?
   > 	Rick Carle

   Microsoft is claiming DOS 6.0 will have an installable file system.
   Which will provide longer filenames.

				   Bill Yow
				   yow@sweetpea.jsc.nasa.gov

This may sound pretty ignorant, but:

	What exactly is an installable file system?

Fred Quintana

--

cadsi@ccad.uiowa.edu (CADSI) (03/29/91)

From article <1991Mar29.010254.15745@cs.cmu.edu>, by ralf+@cs.cmu.edu (Ralf Brown):
> }> When will ms-dos have file names longer than 8 characters?
> }> 4.0?  5.0?  Never?  Why not?
> }
>
> The problem isn't getting long filenames into DOS (you could do that in any
> version from 3.1 on up by using the network redirector to create an
> installable file system), but rather in getting the installed base of
> applications to support them.

I'm tellin' you, there is a down and dirty way of doing this.  I have
thought long and hard about this.  It will take a bit of trickery to
DOS, but I think I'll prototype some things for the H of it.  The only
danger to my solution is that programs like PC-BACKUP will tend to show
goofy looking file names.  I'm giving the idea away slowly here.  Is
it really worth my time here?  I'm serious.  For the folks around
this net, I would give source and executables, but does anybody think
this is worth any money in general, or is this just a wish (laundry) list?

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (03/31/91)

In a message to All <30 Mar 91 12:42> Rick Carle wrote:

 RC> From: rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE)
 RC> Date: 27 Mar 91 22:50:15 GMT
 RC> Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.misc

 RC> When will ms-dos have file names longer than 8 characters?
 RC> 4.0?  5.0?  Never?  Why not?
 RC>        Rick Carle

4.0 has been out for a long time (I have no idea why, it wasn't worth it).
5.0 is in beta, and is much more worth it on 286 or 386 machines.  Anyways, I doubt that it ever will, because it can't be done in an effective manner
without breaking 99% of all software currently available. All new OS's which
are being developed such as GEOS or even OS/2 have capabilities for any
length name you want.  (it's actually 11 characters now if you count the
extension).

Greg.Smith@bohemia.metronet.org

--- XRS!% 4.10DV
 * Origin: Avatar or bust! (Quick 1:104/477.11)

Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
The Bohemia BBS System, Boulder Colorado (303)449-8946
UUCP:  Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG
 or :  ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith

In a message to All <30 Mar 91 16:45> Billy Yow 283-4009 wrote:

 BY> From: yow@riddler.Berkeley.EDU (Billy Yow 283-4009)
 BY> Date: 28 Mar 91 22:34:51 GMT
 BY> Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.misc

 BY> From article <2179@raybed2.msd.ray.com>, by rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com
 BY> (RICK CARLE):
 >> When will ms-dos have file names longer than 8 characters?
 >> 4.0?  5.0?  Never?  Why not?
 >>       Rick Carle

 BY> Microsoft is claiming DOS 6.0 will have an installable file system.
 BY> Which will provide longer filenames.

Why are they talking about six when they haven't even been able to release 5.0 (yet DR did it long ago <g>)

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (04/04/91)

In article <98.27F93A9E@bohemia.metronet.org> Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) writes:
>In a message to All <30 Mar 91 16:45> Billy Yow 283-4009 wrote:
> BY> Microsoft is claiming DOS 6.0 will have an installable file system.
> BY> Which will provide longer filenames.
>
>Why are they talking about six when they haven't even been able to release 5.0 (yet DR did it long ago <g>)

Microsoft picked up the FUD (Fear, uncertainty and doubt) factor from IBM long
ago.  It's the same reason they are announcing what will be in Microsoft C
7.0 when they haven't even got a stable version 6.0 yet.  They know that by
announcing a product far in advance, even if they have no code for it at all,
that they can cut the market out from under competitors.   Someone could
announce tomorrow that they had a completed system that would read your mind
and do what you wanted, and MicroSoft would announce that it had been working
on that for five years and would have a working system in 6 months "but
better."  Then it would hire some programmers.

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (04/06/91)

Not sure whether this is actually a discussion of DOS 5 or the need for
long file names RIGHT NOW. If the latter, fairly reasonable substitutes
for long file names include.
  4DOS (shell system) - implements long file descriptions viewable
       at DOS level merely with the DIR command (names held in a
       hidden file DESCRIPT.ION in each directory. Seem to be the most
       seamless of file name extenders
  Programs such as WordPerfect which can display extended file descrip-
       tions (proprietary) when listing directories
  External file description programs such as DIRNOTES (from PC Mag) and
       Extend-a-Name

I have found the first 2 very helpful. It's too bad that other appli-
cations programs don't recognize the 4DOS system, since no commands
other thann DIR are needed.
--
Michael Volow, Psychiatry, Durham VA Med Center, Durham NC 27712
919 286 0411 Ext 6933               mvolo@ecsvax.edu

zap@netcom.COM (Paul Eastham) (05/05/91)

>From article <2179@raybed2.msd.ray.com>, by rgc@raybed2.msd.ray.com (RICK CARLE):
>> When will ms-dos have file names longer than 8 characters?
>> 4.0?  5.0?  Never?  Why not?
>> 	Rick Carle

I DO recall seeing a Public Domaian or Shareware program many years ago
that would allow you (somehow) to manipulate, run, and list files just
as if they were in UNIX (>8 chars) filename formats.  However, a search
through my file archives turned up nothing...it must have been a REALLY long
time ago.  If this would be an acceptable solution for you, you should look
on Compuserve and/or big file BBS's in your area.
Good luck.

Zap! - Paul Eastham - zap@netcom.com

--
--------
| ---- |  ZAP!!
|   /  |  A.K.A. Paul Eastham .com
| /_   |  zap@darkside.com
|  /   |  Los Altos, CA
--------  "Ack!" -- Bill the Cat

mvolo@uncecs.edu (Michael R. Volow) (05/05/91)

4DOS allows 40 character descriptions which can be viewed with a simple
DIR comman. The descriptions move with the file, although they are
actually held in a separate file. It's pretty seamless. DIRNOTES
(PCMag free program) and Extend-a-Name (commercial program) also
give long file descriptions, but you use a separate command to view
these.