[comp.os.msdos.misc] Multi-User DOS Users - Where are You?

jpanneko@cedar.pfc.forestry.ca (Jack Pannekoek) (05/07/91)

Comment:

I am a newcomer to news and have been reading many of the newsgroups
with significant pc, database and applications content.  This is my
first foray into actually sending a message and opening myself up to
constructive flaming.  While I officially (get paid for) work with VAX/VMS
and now UNIX (a la ULTRIX), I also (as many of you seem to) do some
moonlighting. Some of the latter involves micro database design including
the development of a couple of my own vertical products.

I started with DBASE III+ but some ran into its many limitations and
migrated to FOXPLUS and now FOXPRO for reasons of price, performance
and a better language.  About 4 years ago I ran into a need for a
multi point of access mechanism for my applications.  LAN's were too
expensive, UNIX was too expensive and ugly and cheap/zero slot LAN's
were too slow.  I ended out going the multi-user PC-MOS route (in 1987)
as the most cost and performance effective solution to multi-user DOS
and got multi-tasking to boot.

As a development environment, I have found it to be a sometimes rocky
(as always - compatibility problems) but overall extremely productive
solution.  PC-MOS seems to have matured to the point of being no worse
than DESQVIEW or any of the other multi-tasking (single user) DOS
environments.  In fact I have found its multi-processing efficiency to
be superior to most of the other DOS multi-tasking environments.

Question:

There seems to be very little mention in any of the newsgroups that I
have been reading (comp.databases, comp.os.misc, comp.os.msdos."*",
comp.sys.ibm."*" and a few others) of multi-user DOS technology.  Am
I really on the lunatic fringe, am I missing a newsgroup or are there
other closet multi-user/multi-tasking DOS people out there??  For
environemnts where UNIX system support is hard to come by and all
those DOS programs are so friendly and familiar, is not a multi-user
DOS environment a feasable alternative or am I missing something with
all the money and time I have saved myself and others??

With Multi-user DRDOS (previously Concurrent DOS/386), VM-386,
PC-MOS/386, a multi-user version of OS/2 etc. to choose from I would
have expected somewhat more interaction on this subject.
--
Jack Pannekoek - Science Computer Analyst
Internet: jpanneko@PFC.Forestry.CA

userAKDU@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Al Dunbar) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May6.213439.1282@cedar.pfc.forestry.ca>, jpanneko@cedar.pfc.forestry.ca (Jack Pannekoek) writes:
>Comment:
>
>I am a newcomer to news and have been reading many of the newsgroups
<<< multiple deletions >>>

>Question:
>
>There seems to be very little mention in any of the newsgroups that I
>have been reading (comp.databases, comp.os.misc, comp.os.msdos."*",
>comp.sys.ibm."*" and a few others) of multi-user DOS technology.  Am
>I really on the lunatic fringe, am I missing a newsgroup or are there
>other closet multi-user/multi-tasking DOS people out there??  For
>environemnts where UNIX system support is hard to come by and all
>those DOS programs are so friendly and familiar, is not a multi-user
>DOS environment a feasable alternative or am I missing something with
>all the money and time I have saved myself and others??

One reason could be that this (at least as I see it) is
comp.os.msdos.

 Al Dunbar          |
 Edmonton, Alberta  |  Disclaimer: "I disclaim disclaimers"
 CANADA             |