[comp.os.msdos.misc] MS-DOS 5 and upper memory

slc1290@hare.udev.cdc.com (steve chesney x4662) (05/02/91)

SOme discussion has been made of the upcoming MS-DOS 5 and its ability to
locate itself and maybe TSRs to Upper Memory Blocks. My question: does
MS-DOS 5 know how to relocate these things, or will the user still have to
use a QEMM or MOVE'M type product to do this?

--

Steve Chesney       Control Data Corporation      slc1290@hare.udev.cdc.com

ccorzine@hmcvax.claremont.edu (05/06/91)

In article <32733@shamash.cdc.com>, slc1290@hare.udev.cdc.com (steve chesney x4662) writes:
> SOme discussion has been made of the upcoming MS-DOS 5 and its ability to
> locate itself and maybe TSRs to Upper Memory Blocks. My question: does
> MS-DOS 5 know how to relocate these things, or will the user still have to
> use a QEMM or MOVE'M type product to do this?

Well, MS-DOS 5.0 definitely locates itself in high-memory, and it does have
a load-hi program.  I have not messed with it much, by on the system we have
tried it on, MS-DOS 4.01 leaves 526k free after all device drivers are load,
with QEMM that figure goes up to about 590k, and MS-DOS 5.0 tops off at
596k of free memory.  The only problem that I have noted so far is that MS-DOS
5.0 doesn't like Smart-Drive if the hard disk is over 120MB, but I am sure that
there is a fix for this in the works.  Other than that, it works terrific.

awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andrew J. White) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May5.191257.1@hmcvax.claremont.edu> ccorzine@hmcvax.claremont.edu writes:
>In article <32733@shamash.cdc.com>, slc1290@hare.udev.cdc.com (steve chesney x4662) writes:
>> locate itself and maybe TSRs to Upper Memory Blocks. My question: does
>> MS-DOS 5 know how to relocate these things, or will the user still have to
>> use a QEMM or MOVE'M type product to do this?
>Well, MS-DOS 5.0 definitely locates itself in high-memory, and it does have
>a load-hi program.  I have not messed with it much, by on the system we have
>tried it on, MS-DOS 4.01 leaves 526k free after all device drivers are load,
>with QEMM that figure goes up to about 590k, and MS-DOS 5.0 tops off at

I am running a MS-DOS 5.0 and QEMM 5.1 combination, and with DOS=HIGH
in my config.sys and using QEMM's loadhi.com and loadhi.sys to load my
TSRs and device drivers into high memory, I have 628K of conventional
memory free... that's with an ANSI driver, a mouse driver, a disk cache,
a print spooler and a keyboard enhancer all loaded.

Some misbehaved TSRs cause system crashes, but I have not had any more
problems than I did under DOS 3.3.  Now Windows, however, that's a
different story...

 Andrew J. White    | U. of Pennsylvania    | awhite@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
 Comp. Science 1993 | School of Engineering | whiteaj@clutx.clarkson.edu

phys169@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (05/10/91)

In article <1991May5.191257.1@hmcvax.claremont.edu>, ccorzine@hmcvax.claremont.edu writes:
> Well, MS-DOS 5.0 definitely locates itself in high-memory, and it does have
> a load-hi program.  I have not messed with it much, by on the system we have
> tried it on, MS-DOS 4.01 leaves 526k free after all device drivers are load,
> with QEMM that figure goes up to about 590k, and MS-DOS 5.0 tops off at
> 596k of free memory.

Have you (or anybody) compared MSDOS 5 with DRDOS 5? DRDOS seems to do better
than that (typically 610K for me), but it must depend on the configuration.

Mark Aitchison, Physics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand.