[comp.os.msdos.misc] OS/2 2.0 is here! READ THIS, you'll be impressed

bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) (04/27/91)

In article <1991Apr26.211100.7830@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov> kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>The absolute best way to guarantee acceptance of any version of OS/2 is
>to bring the price in line with competitive OS's.  If OS/2, MSC, and SDK
>were $400, total, it'd sell like proverbial hotcakes.

>Compare ESIX S5R3, which includes a development system (compiler, assembler,
>libraries, include files), TCP/IP networking, the X Window System, and
>too much more to mention here, with OS/2.
[prices deleted]
>... ESIX, at $825, is the clear winner.

Okay:
*r = retail price, *s = "street" price, or what one would expect to pay,
*e = edu price, and ~ means best guess.
Prices from vendors in latest PC Rag and local campus computer store.
All below probably "need" a 386 w/ 4mb RAM and 60mb HD's.

 OS/2 Dev cost:
		OS/2 SE 1.3	$150 *r		~$90 *e
		MS-C 6.0	$300 *s		$265 *e
		OS/2 SDK	~$400 *s 	$350 *e
		-----------
		total:		$850		$705 edu

 Windows Dev cost:
		DOS 4.0		$75 *s		$75 *s
		Windows 3.0	$90 *s		$80 *e
		MS-C 6.0	$300 *s		$265 *e
		MS Windows SDK	$325 *s		$260 *e
		-----------
		total:		$790		$680 edu

 Alt Win Dev cost:
		DOS 3.3		$60 *s
		Windows 3.0	$90 *s
		Borland C++	$325 *s
		-----------
		total:		$475  (edu pricing N/A)

     What does this mean?  Clearly, for small developers and hackers,
Windows is currently the way to go.  With OS/2 2.0, Windows apps
*should* be able to run, so small programs and stuff of the like
would probably be built in Windows first.  Also, most of the companies
that build such apps need the *large* installed base right now to
stay afloat.  However, for big programs and those that need the
multi-threaded, protected VM, and multitasking of a real OS,
(ie. PageMaker, SAS, Mathematica, Excel, etc.) it would probably
make sense to build these in OS/2 instead of stuffing and pounding
it into Windows.

     The prices above do not take into account the fact that
ESIX has TCP/IP.  However, ESIX currently needs seamless integration
into Novell and other PC based LAN systems to penetrate the PC market,
while TCP/IP is available in many forms to DOS/Windows and OS/2 users.
Also, while the target audience of the Windows-OS/2 products
and that of X-Windows/UNIX systems on 386's do intersect, they
are mostly different.  I could not recommend X-Windows/UNIX systems
to most people.  Until implementations like the NeXT become
mainstream UNIX, UNIX is too cryptic and cumbersome.  Many
people do not *need* are *want* to have multi-user capability
on their 386's; it would be dead weight.  DOS/Windows and
OS/2 on the otherhand, I can envision on most anybody's desk.
--
Bill Chin			internet:bchin@umd5.umd.edu
PC/IP, Computer Science Center	NeXTmail:bchin@is-next.umd.edu

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (05/02/91)

bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) writes:

>In article <1991Apr26.211100.7830@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov> kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>>The absolute best way to guarantee acceptance of any version of OS/2 is
>>to bring the price in line with competitive OS's.  If OS/2, MSC, and SDK
>>were $400, total, it'd sell like proverbial hotcakes.

>Okay:
>*r = retail price, *s = "street" price, or what one would expect to pay,
>*e = edu price, and ~ means best guess.
>Prices from vendors in latest PC Rag and local campus computer store.
>All below probably "need" a 386 w/ 4mb RAM and 60mb HD's.

> OS/2 Dev cost:
>		OS/2 SE 1.3	$150 *r		~$90 *e
>		MS-C 6.0	$300 *s		$265 *e
>		OS/2 SDK	~$400 *s 	$350 *e
>		-----------
>		total:		$850		$705 edu

> Windows Dev cost:
>		DOS 4.0		$75 *s		$75 *s
>		Windows 3.0	$90 *s		$80 *e
>		MS-C 6.0	$300 *s		$265 *e
>		MS Windows SDK	$325 *s		$260 *e
>		-----------
>		total:		$790		$680 edu
>
> Alt Win Dev cost:
>		DOS 3.3		$60 *s
>		Windows 3.0	$90 *s
>		Borland C++	$325 *s
>		-----------
>		total:		$475  (edu pricing N/A)

 Alt Win Dev cost:
		DOS 3.3				$60 *s
		Windows 3.0			$80 *e <<
		Borland C++			$95 *e <<
		--------------------------------------
		TOTAL (with ed prices)		$235 edu

In fact, DOS 3.x is often bundled with a clone, at no additional charge,
giving an effective educational price for Win development at $175.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ DBS, Inc (404) 239-2347   ...gatech!nanoVX!msa3b!kevin
English Lesson: THEIR home is over THERE. THERE is one house. THEY'RE not home.

margoli@watson.ibm.com (Larry Margolis) (05/03/91)

In  <8493@umd5.umd.edu>  bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) writes:
>      What does this mean?  Clearly, for small developers and hackers,
> Windows is currently the way to go.  With OS/2 2.0, Windows apps
> *should* be able to run, so small programs and stuff of the like
> would probably be built in Windows first.

On the other hand, the company writing for OS/2 might hit the market sooner,
since with the flat model they don't have to worry about dealing with segments
and 64k limits.  Not to mention the fact that the native OS/2 app (running on
OS/2) will be much faster than the Windows app (running either on OS/2 or on
Windows).  Not to mention long filename support, extended attributes, etc.
I know which one *I'd* buy.

(My only problem with OS/2 2.0 is that I don't have any Windows applications
to try out under it.  Everything I use runs native OS/2.  :-)

Larry Margolis, MARGOLI@YKTVMV (bitnet), margoli@watson.IBM.com (csnet)

keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu (John Keating) (05/03/91)

In <1626@msa3b.UUCP> kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) writes:

> Alt Win Dev cost:
>		DOS 3.3				$60 *s
>		Windows 3.0			$80 *e <<
>		Borland C++			$95 *e <<
>		--------------------------------------
>		TOTAL (with ed prices)		$235 edu

>In fact, DOS 3.x is often bundled with a clone, at no additional charge,
>giving an effective educational price for Win development at $175.

Now, many clones also bundle Win3.  Subtract another $80 dollars.  (Now, mind
you, the Borland C++ price is still educational (and I think upgrade), but
the price is still fairly low.)

If we're lucky, clone manufacturers will start bundling OS/2 2.x with their
systems.

John
--
 +---------------------------------------+ +---------------------------+
 | Looking for genealogical histories of | | keating@rex.cs.tulane.edu |

tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) (05/03/91)

margoli@watson.ibm.com writes:
> On the other hand, the company writing for OS/2 might hit the market sooner,
> since with the flat model they don't have to worry about dealing with segments
> and 64k limits.  Not to mention the fact that the native OS/2 app (running on
> OS/2) will be much faster than the Windows app (running either on OS/2 or on
> Windows).  Not to mention long filename support, extended attributes, etc.
> I know which one *I'd* buy.

That's from a user's viewpoint, though.  When you consider that there will
soon be 5 million Windows machines out there, and that OS/2 2.0 will only
run on a 386 or better, you can bet that the number of OS/2 users will be
between 10% and 20% of the Windows users.  If I was starting development
on a new piece of software, I certainly would think twice about ignoring
80-90% of the market just for a small ("much faster"?  Well, everything is
relative, I guess) performance gain.  I could probably achieve at least
a similar gain by spending some time designing and optimizing the code well.

This is not to say that OS/2 isn't good, but market realities will dictate
that most development effort will be concentrated on Windows apps, especially
since they will now also be able to run on OS/2.

[ \tom haapanen --- university of waterloo --- tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu ]
[ "i don't even know what street canada is on"               -- al capone ]

wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.115757.508@watserv1.waterloo.edu> tom@mims-iris.waterloo.edu (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>run on a 386 or better, you can bet that the number of OS/2 users will be
>between 10% and 20% of the Windows users.  If I was starting development

One thing to think about here, not really to say one way or another, but
definitely think about, is that people who run OS/2 will be "using" os/2.  How
many people Using windows are just using it as a task switcher, or glorified
DOS Shell, to continiue using DOS?

Wim.
--

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May3.171742.9966@serval.net.wsu.edu> wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes:
>One thing to think about here, not really to say one way or another, but
>definitely think about, is that people who run OS/2 will be "using" os/2.  How
>many people Using windows are just using it as a task switcher, or glorified
>DOS Shell, to continiue using DOS?

...or paper weight/book end.  How many of us have multiple copies of Windows
that we don't use?  I got four copies included with new machines.  It's getting
harder to find a machine that doesn't get a MS mouse and Windows 3.0 tacked on
to it.

Sure, there are X million copies of Windows 3.0 sold to date, but how many of
them were sold by 'force'?

Kyler Laird              I'm  the NRA/NRA-ILA         lairdkb@mentor.purdue.edu

yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger) (05/06/91)

I am willing to give OS/2 a try if I can upgrade it from my MS-DOS 4.01.  The
only real question for users will be to wait for MS-DOS 5 or OS/2 2.0?  I
have a MS-DOS 4.01 from a clone machine, will IBM/Microsoft allow a upgrade
to OS/2 for $99 or something along that line.  If not, I'm not willing to
spend money to buy a copy of OS/2.

OS/2 also works with x286 machines, but I think really slow, unless you got
4-6 meg of memory.  I don't think I would use x286 12 mhz machines for mult-
tasking more than 2-3 applications.  It would really bog down the operating
system.

Why would I want OS/2?  For the multi-tasking threads, of course.  I run
Windows 3.0 (it didn't come with my machine, I brought it seperately), for
telecommunications, wordprocessing, program development, and I keep running
into "Application Errors" messages.  Worst, is trying to install TSR into
Windows and it complete dies.  OS/2 best's feature is tighter control on
multi-tasking features.

Better than OS/2?  I would like a copy of SunOS on my machine, Unix is *NOT*
hard.  There may be 200+ commands, but you don't use no more than 10-20 of
them.  (similar to DOS)  Unix provides utilities (such as vi) and it's not
hard to learn them.  OS/2 is still single-user, multi-tasking, while Unix
is mult-users and multi-tasking.  True, I may be the only user, I still
like unix for it's power.  I'm reading a good copy on Unix, AT&T System 5,
Release 4.  Since Unix won't be available for PCs yet, I would give OS/2 a
try.

1.x (except 1.3) was garabage, I haven't seen the OS/2 2.0 yet.  Does OS/2
requires a hard disk reformat?  Yes, if you want to include extended filenames.
ARGG!!!  Might have to backup 150 meg of hard disk space.  ARG!

--
-- Robert aka Crimson Avenger      (yee@rpi.edu or crimson_avenger@mts.rpi.edu)
   Once a hacker, always a hacker. (usere3jp@rpitsmts.bitnet)

larrys@watson.ibm.com (Larry Salomon, Jr.) (05/06/91)

In <1991May3.171742.9966@serval.net.wsu.edu>, wbonner@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Wim Bonner) writes:
>One thing to think about here, not really to say one way or another, but
>definitely think about, is that people who run OS/2 will be "using" os/2.  How
>many people Using windows are just using it as a task switcher, or glorified
>DOS Shell, to continiue using DOS?

I don't think anyone could hope to avoid this.  However, the point that
OS/2 2.0 is trying to make is that you don't HAVE to give up your
(sometimes quite large) DOS investment to switch to the new system.  As
more and more OS/2-only applications come out, more people will start
using them.

Okay, so Mr. G.I. Luvwindows says, "But no one is going to develop
strictly for OS/2."  My reply is that if the internal IBM response is any
indication, watch out Bill Gates...

...Now, I don't want to hear anyone start whining about this  ;) , but
(internally) there are 688 packages for OS/2 (a package can be anything:
application, toolkit, etc.) which do various things.  This is from a
company that has traditionally been mainframe oriented.  I strongly
suspect that companies are going to look harder at OS/2 than before when
2.0 is released (if for no other reason) for the advanced capabilities
that it provides over DOS and Windows.

Cheers,
Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center         larrys@eng.clemson.edu
Yorktown Heights, NY

Disclaimer:  The statements and/or opinions stated above are strictly my
own and do not reflect the views of my employer.  Additionally, I have a
reputation for being obnoxious, so don't take any personal attacks too
seriously.

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (05/07/91)

In article <19910502.141008@the-village> margoli@watson.ibm.com writes:
>In  <8493@umd5.umd.edu>  bchin@umd5.umd.edu (Bill Chin) writes:
>>      What does this mean?  Clearly, for small developers and hackers,
>> Windows is currently the way to go.  With OS/2 2.0, Windows apps
>> *should* be able to run, so small programs and stuff of the like
>> would probably be built in Windows first.
>
>On the other hand, the company writing for OS/2 might hit the market sooner,
>since with the flat model they don't have to worry about dealing with segments
>and 64k limits.  Not to mention the fact that the native OS/2 app (running on
>OS/2) will be much faster than the Windows app (running either on OS/2 or on
>Windows).  Not to mention long filename support, extended attributes, etc.
>I know which one *I'd* buy.

However, OS/2 running Windows applications removes a lot of the pressure to
write strictly OS/2 apps.  If you write a Windows version, it can be run by
the miniscule amount of users who run OS/2 (currently) _and_ the huge market
of Windows users.  The big companies can afford to write one of each, but for
someone with limited resources, I know which one I'd write for maximum return
on investment.
--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

smustain@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mike Mustaine) (05/07/91)

I dunno, IBM's always been hot on OS/2.  Last summer, when I co-oped for them
the rage was OS/2 1.3, which was gonna come in and sweep away all the
unbelievers.  IBMers have always had a very pro-IBM point of view.  There's
nothing wrong with this (in fact, I think it's one of the reasons why the
company can do such great things), but, at the same time, I don't trust 'em.

I'll start believing in the magic of OS/2 2.0 if it's as hot as Windows 3.0
a year after its release.  I'll develop for it when I can get a C++ compiler
for it, with complete libraries, Petzold's "Programming OS/2", and another
few inches of documentation for $95+plus tax, which is what I've got invested
in Windows development tools.

Mike

--
Mike Mustaine                       |"I did what I did, and I do what
Starving College Student (tm)       | I do, because I'm Evel Kneivel,

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (05/07/91)

I'm using Win/3 right now. I expect to switch completely to OS/2 v 2.0
when it is commercially available. I *do* wish IBM would add a
KillThread system call, though.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: netcom.com

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (05/07/91)

From article <025gl3d@rpi.edu>, by yee@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Crimson Avenger):
> Release 4.  Since Unix won't be available for PCs yet, I would give OS/2 a

What?  Unix is available for PCs just check out comp.unix.sysv386.  There
are many companies that sell Unix for PCs.  Or did you mean sysV won't be
available for PCs?  If so, there are still several companies that sell
sysV for the PC (Dell, Everex, UHC, and Microport come to mind) with some
more expected by the end of the year.

john gay.

jgay@digi.lonestar.org (john gay) (05/07/91)

> What?  Unix is available for PCs just check out comp.unix.sysv386.  There
> are many companies that sell Unix for PCs.  Or did you mean sysV won't be
> available for PCs?  If so, there are still several companies that sell
> sysV for the PC (Dell, Everex, UHC, and Microport come to mind) with some
  ^^^^
Of course I meant system V release 4 here.

> more expected by the end of the year.

I apologize about burning the extra bandwidth...

john gay.

larrys@watson.ibm.com (Larry Salomon, Jr.) (05/09/91)

In <1991May6.230021.24665@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, smustain@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mike Mustaine) writes:

>I dunno, IBM's always been hot on OS/2.  Last summer, when I co-oped for them
>the rage was OS/2 1.3, which was gonna come in and sweep away all the
>unbelievers.  IBMers have always had a very pro-IBM point of view.  There's
>nothing wrong with this (in fact, I think it's one of the reasons why the
>company can do such great things), but, at the same time, I don't trust 'em.
>
>I'll start believing in the magic of OS/2 2.0 if it's as hot as Windows 3.0
>a year after its release.  I'll develop for it when I can get a C++ compiler
>for it, with complete libraries, Petzold's "Programming OS/2", and another
>few inches of documentation for $95+plus tax, which is what I've got invested
>in Windows development tools.

Yeah, right.  I suppose that you think I'll believe that you got Dos,
Windows 3.0, the compilers, and all of the books you have for $95+tax.
Oh...I didn't think so.

Borland C++ for Windows by itself costs that much, AND only if you're
upgrading.

rdippold@lajolla.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May6.170411.9423@watson.ibm.com> larrys@yktvmv writes:
>Okay, so Mr. G.I. Luvwindows says, "But no one is going to develop
>strictly for OS/2."  My reply is that if the internal IBM response is any
>indication, watch out Bill Gates...

If my previous experiences with IBM software is any indication, I want nothing
of applications software written by them (to name just one, I still have night-
mares about DisplayWrite), if you're talking here about things that might
become available to the users.  If you're not, I still don't think that
internal OS/2 applications developed by a company where OS/2 is gospel is much
of an indicator.

On the other hand, I seriously want to try OS/2 2.0 (I almost got a beta
version when you had it available on your BBS, before the damned lawyers
messed things up again), which looks like it's finally what we got promised
way back in 86/87 (?).  If it's decent, the applications will start appearing,
inexorably.  I just don't think that internal use of OS/2 at IBM provides any
usable parallel for the real world.
--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.190947.12194@watson.ibm.com> larrys@yktvmv writes:
>In <1991May6.230021.24665@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, smustain@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mike Mustaine) writes:
>>
>>I dunno, IBM's always been hot on OS/2.  Last summer, when I co-oped for them
>>the rage was OS/2 1.3, which was gonna come in and sweep away all the
>>unbelievers.  IBMers have always had a very pro-IBM point of view.  There's
>>nothing wrong with this (in fact, I think it's one of the reasons why the
>>company can do such great things), but, at the same time, I don't trust 'em.
>>
>>I'll start believing in the magic of OS/2 2.0 if it's as hot as Windows 3.0
>>a year after its release.  I'll develop for it when I can get a C++ compiler
>>for it, with complete libraries, Petzold's "Programming OS/2", and another
>>few inches of documentation for $95+plus tax, which is what I've got invested
>>in Windows development tools.
>
>Yeah, right.  I suppose that you think I'll believe that you got Dos,
>Windows 3.0, the compilers, and all of the books you have for $95+tax.
>Oh...I didn't think so.
>
>Borland C++ for Windows by itself costs that much, AND only if you're
>upgrading.

ACtually I believe the $95 price is also the educational price.  The books
may have been more and he probably got Win3 with his machine so I would say
he isn't to far off.

Chris

--
Chris Kinsman  					KINSMAN@WSUVM1
Washington State University			22487863@WSUVM1

swyatt@chopin.udel.edu (Stephen L Wyatt) (05/09/91)

Ok... all this theory about which is better is really neat and all, but how
about real world questions?

I use turbo c++, procomm, word perfect, etc. for school.  I also use some
window's applications like qvt4.55 term thingy to call into the mainframe.

I would use window's all the time, since I'd love to me able to switch from
one task to another, but the whole thing is just too slow compared to running
it outside the window's environment (btw- I have a 386-33 4 megs w/ memory
cache and 25ms HD) ... now 2 questions--

will running os/2 allow me to run all the previous stuff I have and windows
stuff at the same time?  what is the speed comparison between a normal
application under dos (standalone) and with os/2 with some other task in
memory also?

and since I bought dos 4.01 last fall, can I get an upgrade?
how much?

swyatt@udel.edu  !!! no disclaimer...I blame everything I say on someone else

MXD118@psuvm.psu.edu (Spiro the Spiny Goldfish) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.190947.12194@watson.ibm.com>, larrys@watson.ibm.com (Larry
Salomon, Jr.) says:

>In <1991May6.230021.24665@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>,
>smustain@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mike Mustaine) writes:
>>
>>I dunno, IBM's always been hot on OS/2.  Last summer, when I co-oped for them
>>the rage was OS/2 1.3, which was gonna come in and sweep away all the
>>unbelievers.  IBMers have always had a very pro-IBM point of view.  There's
>>nothing wrong with this (in fact, I think it's one of the reasons why the
>>company can do such great things), but, at the same time, I don't trust 'em.

Actually - I worked in an OS/2 development division last summer,  and the
people there weren't all that excited about 1.3.  It's faster than Windows,
and has less reliability problems - but we all knew Windows was better
marketed,  and even a kludgy DOS multitasking is still multitasking.  I
really didn't see anyone "hot on OS/2" at that time,  since 2.0 was very far
from completion.
Michael E. Dahmus              MXD118@PSUVM / dahmus@endor.cs.psu.edu
504 Beaver Hall  Phone 862-5141      UNIX is for EUNUCHS!

woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) (05/09/91)

In article <1991May8.190947.12194@watson.ibm.com> larrys@yktvmv writes:
>Yeah, right.  I suppose that you think I'll believe that you got Dos,
>Windows 3.0, the compilers, and all of the books you have for $95+tax.
>Oh...I didn't think so.
>
>Borland C++ for Windows by itself costs that much, AND only if you're
>upgrading.

Of course Turbo Pascal for Windows is only $99 for people who have
owned any other Borland language product, so for the $50 that many of
us paid for Windows under MS's extremeley generous upgrade plan (I
used the 1.1 runtime with Balance of Power for my upgrade) plus $99,
you could have a pretty nice Windows development platform. For those
in higher education, wasn't there a $99 offer for Actor too at one
time.  Personally I don't even see why we are discussing OS/2 2.0
until it's finally released... I am sure it will be really great, but
why don't we all wait until it's released before saying what it will
or won't include and how it will perform.

Perhaps we could prune the newsgroups line too to take this out of
comp.os.msdos and any windows group too.
+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

smustain@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mike Mustaine) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.190947.12194@watson.ibm.com> larrys@yktvmv writes:
>In <1991May6.230021.24665@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, smustain@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mike Mustaine) writes:

[my original post cut]
>>a year after its release.  I'll develop for it when I can get a C++ compiler
>>for it, with complete libraries, Petzold's "Programming OS/2", and another
>>few inches of documentation for $95+plus tax, which is what I've got invested
>>in Windows development tools.
>
>Yeah, right.  I suppose that you think I'll believe that you got Dos,
>Windows 3.0, the compilers, and all of the books you have for $95+tax.
>Oh...I didn't think so.
>
>Borland C++ for Windows by itself costs that much, AND only if you're
>upgrading.
>
>Cheers,
>Larry Salomon, Jr. (aka 'Q')            LARRYS@YKTVMV.BITNET
>OS/2 Applications and Tools             larrys@ibmman.watson.ibm.com

Note that I did NOT say that I had a complete environment for $95.  I got DOS
for free with my PC, and I spent $135 on Windows (but I got the MS mouse with
it).  I _did_ spend only $95 for my complete development, and I didn't upgrade.
The $95 is Borland's educational price for BC++, available from any university.

To start developing for OS/2, I'll have to but OS/2 2.0 SE for what, $150?  Ok.
Now, I don't need to buy PM, so we're at about the same price for DOS+Windows
as we are for OS/2.  Fine.  Execpt the OS/2 SDK, plus MSC 6.0a is gonna add a
few hundred (thousand?) onto that.  I don't have that kinda money, sorry.

To spend that money for what, an installed user base of 300,000 or so?  I'd
rather write for the Amiga and the Atari ST, they've both got a bigger
userbase.  Until OS/2 PROVES itself, by selling like hotcakes, and some
_affordable_ development tools come out for it, I'll "just say no."

Of course, this is all moot, as I'm running a 12MHz '286.  And no, I don't have
$400 for a 386sx-16, either. :-)

Mike

--
Mike Mustaine                       |"I did what I did, and I do what
Starving College Student (tm)       | I do, because I'm Evel Kneivel,
smustain@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu | and I don't question that."
smustain@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu  |

smustain@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Mike Mustaine) (05/10/91)

>Actually - I worked in an OS/2 development division last summer,  and the
>people there weren't all that excited about 1.3.  It's faster than Windows,
>and has less reliability problems - but we all knew Windows was better
>marketed,  and even a kludgy DOS multitasking is still multitasking.  I
>really didn't see anyone "hot on OS/2" at that time,  since 2.0 was very far
>from completion.

Well, we were mainly using them as glorified 3270's to connect to 3090's (IMS
[ugh!] System Test) but a lot of the folks there loved it, and I remember
reading one of the IBMnet newsgroups (OS2GOSPEL?) where there was a lot of
pro-OS/2 stuff, and of course, the OS/2 disciples would raid the Windows
newsgroups and start OS/2 vs. Windows flame wars.

--

hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Sanjay Aiyagari) (05/10/91)

In article <17089@chopin.udel.edu>,swyatt@chopin.udel.edu (Stephen L Wyatt)
writes:
> will running os/2 allow me to run all the previous stuff I have and windows
> stuff at the same time?  what is the speed comparison between a normal
> application under dos (standalone) and with os/2 with some other task in
> memory also?
>
> and since I bought dos 4.01 last fall, can I get an upgrade?
> how much?

I heard that IBM announced a $99 upgrade to OS/2 2.0 from DOS or Windows!  If
this is true, many of us should be eligible for two upgrades! (whatever use
that is...)

Sanjay Aiyagari (hd7x@vax5.cit.cornell.edu)

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.210437.24333@qualcomm.com> rdippold@lajolla.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>If my previous experiences with IBM software is any indication, I want nothing
>of applications software written by them (to name just one, I still have night-
>mares about DisplayWrite)

The new DisplayWrite is being written by XyQuest, makers of XyWrite - that
wonderfully quick and powerful word processor with the loyal (and wierd)
following.

Kyler Laird              I'm  the NRA/NRA-ILA         lairdkb@mentor.purdue.edu

rdippold@maui.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (05/10/91)

In article <12151@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes:
>In article <1991May8.210437.24333@qualcomm.com> rdippold@lajolla.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:
>>If my previous experiences with IBM software is any indication, I want nothing
>>of applications software written by them (to name just one, I still have night
>>mares about DisplayWrite)
>
>The new DisplayWrite is being written by XyQuest, makers of XyWrite - that
>wonderfully quick and powerful word processor with the loyal (and wierd)
>following.

Really!  That sounds like an excellent idea, for them to bring in some app-
lications developers.  Maybe you _can_ put a Laborghini engine in a Pinto.

Come to think of it, the Patriot Partners deal might produce some decent
results, as well.
--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold

larrys@watson.ibm.com (Larry Salomon, Jr.) (05/11/91)

In <1991May8.210437.24333@qualcomm.com>, rdippold@lajolla.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) writes:

>In article <1991May6.170411.9423@watson.ibm.com> larrys@yktvmv writes:
>>Okay, so Mr. G.I. Luvwindows says, "But no one is going to develop
>>strictly for OS/2."  My reply is that if the internal IBM response is any
>>indication, watch out Bill Gates...
>
>If my previous experiences with IBM software is any indication, I want nothing
>of applications software written by them (to name just one, I still have night-
>mares about DisplayWrite), if you're talking here about things that might
>become available to the users.  If you're not, I still don't think that
>internal OS/2 applications developed by a company where OS/2 is gospel is much
>of an indicator.

DisplayWrite is a gross application, I'll agree.  But it is NOT
indicative of other OS/2 applications.

Internally, OS/2 is not gospel, even though it appears that way.  More
people use AIX and DOS than OS/2.  So, my point is still valid.  There
ARE applications/toolkit/etc. being developed internally, showing that
people are starting to recognize it as a good environment for development
work.

>On the other hand, I seriously want to try OS/2 2.0 (I almost got a beta
>version when you had it available on your BBS, before the damned lawyers
>messed things up again), which looks like it's finally what we got promised
>way back in 86/87 (?).  If it's decent, the applications will start appearing,
>inexorably.  I just don't think that internal use of OS/2 at IBM provides any
>usable parallel for the real world.

Legal issues are a pain, aren't they?  I don't like it any more than you
do, and I have talked to many other IBM'ers who don't like it either.  We
are pushing and pushing to get it back on the BBS, but until those issues
are addressed, there's nothing we can do.