[comp.os.msdos.misc] Stacker questions?????

vanmick@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Van Der Beek Michael-Leo) (05/06/91)

Hi,

	I am considering getting the stacker. It is a compression software and
hardware which creates another partition so that it acts like another drive.
It is supposed to double you disk space.

	Any comments on it? I will be grateful for any information you can give.
Is it very slow (software only, I have a 386-33Mhz)? I guess it will slow
down disc access if you use the compress partition, how about the other
"normal" partitions, does it slow down too?

	There is supposed to have a very good disk cache software incorporated,
how does it compare to other software like hyperdisk, PC-cache and others?
Hyperdisk can return memory space to windows can the stacker do the same. Also
can I run hyperdisk (or any other disk cache) with stacker?

	When the compression is done, if you get a error sector, do you lose the
entire partition or just several files (this is very important, I usually keep
several copies of my important data in several directories (troublesome
but safer), so a lost of a couple of files is tolerable but not the entire
directory.)

	Is there any know problems with other software (it is supposed to be
pretty compatible with almost anything)?

	Thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Michael

yiky@bmerh768.bnr.ca (YikHon Yu) (05/09/91)

In article <20550003@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com> vanmick@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Van Der Beek Michael-Leo) writes:
>Hi,
>
>	I am considering getting the stacker. It is a compression software and
>hardware which creates another partition so that it acts like another drive.
>It is supposed to double you disk space.
>
>	Any comments on it? I will be grateful for any information you can give.
>Is it very slow (software only, I have a 386-33Mhz)? I guess it will slow
>down disc access if you use the compress partition, how about the other
>"normal" partitions, does it slow down too?

I am running the coprocessor version of Stacker on my 386-33 and I haven't
noticed any slowing down in disk access. I also tried using the software
only and I would say the increase in disk access time is negligible (to
me anyway. The uncompressed partition is not slowed down at all.

>	There is supposed to have a very good disk cache software incorporated,
>how does it compare to other software like hyperdisk, PC-cache and others?
>Hyperdisk can return memory space to windows can the stacker do the same. Also
>can I run hyperdisk (or any other disk cache) with stacker?

Instead of using the disk cache in the Stacker software, I use PC-Cache
because it allows me to setup a MUCH BIGGER disk cache in extended memory.

>	When the compression is done, if you get a error sector, do you lose the
>entire partition or just several files (this is very important, I usually keep
>several copies of my important data in several directories (troublesome
>but safer), so a lost of a couple of files is tolerable but not the entire
>directory.)

I had run a problem where the Stacker partition was corrupted and the
whole partition was locked up into read-only mode by the Stacker software.
But this was OK because I was able to backup my files and recreate the
partition. Normally, you can run CHKDSK (yes, CHKDSK!) to clean up errors
in the Stacker partition just like any DOS partitions.

>	Is there any know problems with other software (it is supposed to be
>pretty compatible with almost anything)?

I haven't run into any software problems. All my applications and games
work and I can even load the Stacker software into high memery with
386^max.

>	Thanks for all the help.
>

>Regards,
>

>Michael

YikHon Yu
Bell-Northern Research, Ltd.
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

huffman@se-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Bill Huffman) (05/10/91)

In article <20550003@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com> vanmick@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Van Der Beek Michael-Leo) writes:
>	I am considering getting the stacker. It is a compression software and
>hardware which creates another partition so that it acts like another drive.
>It is supposed to double you disk space.
>
>	Any comments on it? I will be grateful for any information you can give.
>Is it very slow (software only, I have a 386-33Mhz)? I guess it will slow
>down disc access if you use the compress partition, how about the other
>"normal" partitions, does it slow down too?

I have used it on a 286 and a 386.  There is some minor slow down.
It is more than acceptable to me.  You can get a HW board that is
supposed to make disk access even faster (than software only).  The
normal partitions aren't effected.  What Stacker does is to create a
normal file on your disk.  Then it loads a "disk driver" that
accesses the real file on disk, automatically compressing writes and
decompressing reads.

>	There is supposed to have a very good disk cache software incorporated,
>how does it compare to other software like hyperdisk, PC-cache and others?
>Hyperdisk can return memory space to windows can the stacker do the same. Also
>can I run hyperdisk (or any other disk cache) with stacker?

The cache that comes with it is very rudimentary.  I  think it's
only 64K (or something).  The documentation suggests using another disk
cache, if available.  I use SMARTDRV.  I'm sure any would work.

>	When the compression is done, if you get a error sector, do you lose the
>entire partition or just several files (this is very important, I usually keep
>several copies of my important data in several directories (troublesome
>but safer), so a lost of a couple of files is tolerable but not the entire
>directory.)

never happened to me? So, I can't say for sure.  I would guess that
your other files would be okay.  You would even be able to use
Norton Utilities to try to fix it! (assuming Stacker was up).

>	Is there any know problems with other software (it is supposed to be
>pretty compatible with almost anything)?

I haven't found anything that didn't work.  I have lots of games at
home and lots of utilities at work. (PCTOOLS, XTREE Gold, Norton
Utilities, Windows 3.0, WordPerfect, Supercalc)  The only problem
you will likely run into is if the program accesses the disk
directly.  This is very uncommon these days.  The only type
exception I know of is the SWAPFILE option in windows 3.0.  The
SWAPFILE would have to reside on a "real" disk.

vanmick@hpsgm2.sgp.hp.com (Van Der Beek Michael-Leo) (05/15/91)

Hi everyone,

	Thanks for your help. Now I just have to save up and buy the coprocessor
card. Sigh, I never ending need to upgrade my PC :-).

	Thanks again.

Regards,

Michael