[comp.os.msdos.misc] How can I jump ...

wjb@moscom.UUCP (Bill de Beaubien) (05/17/91)

 In article <e6c39d639c6728315efc@rose.uucp> alain.lachapelle@rose.uucp (ALAIN LACHAPELLE) writes:
 >Subj: How can I jump to a different part of my program using CodeView?
 >
 >rstanton@leland.Stanford.EDU (Richard Stanton) writes:
 >
 >>What I want to be able to do is trace program execution up to a certain
 >>point, then miss a whole chunk of code and restart from a different
 >>part of the program.
 >
 >"restart" ?  I guess you mean "continue".  If so, you just have to set
 >two breakpoints and use GO (F5) when you want to quickly reach the
 >second breakpoint, after hitting the first.
 >
 >You can also step over functions by hitting the right mouse button while
 >the mouse cursor is on F8 (I'm presently using Codeview 2.1).  This will
 >also help focusing on the behaviour you want to observe.
 >
 >You could also set conditional breakpoints.  This feature lets you pause
 >the execution of a pgm after reaching a certain number of iterations.

 Well, presuming that what Richard wants to do is, in truth, execute
 instructions up until a certain point, then resume elsewhere (perhaps
 skipping over a block of code, or some such), the easiest way is to
 view the source as assembly instructions (or mixed), bring up your
 registers, and change CS:IP to wherever you want to resume from (usually
 just changing IP is necessary).  Of course, this is potentially dangerous;
 if you set IP to something weird, you're going to start executing garbage,
 and almost certainly will hang your machine.  I've used this to skip over
 subroutine calls and such, though... hope it helps.
--
"Bless me, Father; I ate a lizard."
"Was it an abstinence day, and was it artificially prepared?"