[comp.os.msdos.misc] PC Tools new version 7.0

kelly@athena.mit.edu (Kevin A. Kelly) (05/06/91)

Is anyone familiar with the new version 7.0 of PC Tools (utility program
for the IBM from Central Point Software)?  What features have been
added?  Is it worth upgrading?  Thanks for any information you may have.

Kevin Kelly [kelly@athena.mit.edu]

kai@tpki.toppoint.de (Kai Voelcker) (05/07/91)

Use Norton and You'll have no problems.

Kai Voelcker	kai@tpki.toppoint.de
2300 Kiel	...!unido!tpki!kai

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May5.175313.21025@athena.mit.edu> kelly@athena.mit.edu (Kevin A. Kelly) writes:
>Is anyone familiar with the new version 7.0 of PC Tools (utility program
>for the IBM from Central Point Software)?  What features have been
>added?  Is it worth upgrading?  Thanks for any information you may have.

Version 7.0?!!??  When was it announced? where?  Is it real?

any news is greatly apprieciated(sp??).

Greg.Smith@p11.f477.n104.z1.METRONET.ORG (Greg Smith) (05/07/91)

In a message to All <06 May 91 02:32> Kevin A. Kelly wrote:

 KA> From: kelly@athena.mit.edu (Kevin A. Kelly)
 KA> Date: 5 May 91 17:53:13 GMT
 KA> Newsgroups: comp.os.msdos.misc,comp.os.msdos.apps

 KA> Is anyone familiar with the new version 7.0 of PC Tools (utility program
 KA> for the IBM from Central Point Software)?  What features have been
 KA> added?  Is it worth upgrading?  Thanks for any information you may have.

Is it out?  We haven't recieved our upgrade flier in the mail yet.  Boy, I can't wait to see this one.  Always an inch behind the times in some areas, but oh well.

Greg

---
 * Origin: Avatar or bust! (Quick 1:104/477.11)

--
Greg Smith - via MetroNet node 200:5000/301
UUCP: ...!boulder!bohemia.METRONET.ORG!1!104!477.11!Greg.Smith

rkim@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Suro) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May7.012810.8934@serval.net.wsu.edu> msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>Version 7.0?!!??  When was it announced? where?  Is it real?
>
>any news is greatly apprieciated(sp??).

I saw an ad for pctools 7 on pc-connection (mail order software
co.).  A call to Central Point BBS lists no mention of PcTools v7,
however.  I figure if CPS does not even mention V7, then the ad is a
misprint, or CPS is too slow to get out the word even on their own
BBS.

I asked them if they can send any literature regarding V7, so I
guess they'll send me stuff when they can.

--

Robert W. Kim                            rkim@ucsd.edu
University of California, San Diego.     kimbob@ucsd.edu

wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) (05/08/91)

From article <1991May7.012810.8934@serval.net.wsu.edu>, by msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith):
> In article <1991May5.175313.21025@athena.mit.edu> kelly@athena.mit.edu (Kevin A. Kelly) writes:
>>Is anyone familiar with the new version 7.0 of PC Tools (utility program

They are currently taking orders for it.  In fact, I ordered mine today.
It will not be shipping for a little while though.  The sales person
was not sure exactly when.  If you order, your credit card will not
be billed until the order actually ships.  The latest PC Week had a
good description of the new features including Windows support.  It
sounds great!

--
Let sleeping dragons lie........                    | The RoleMancer
Bill Wilson (wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu | ucc2wew@nauvm | wilson@nauvax)

stu@valinor.UUCP (Stuart L Labovitz) (05/08/91)

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:

> In article <1991May5.175313.21025@athena.mit.edu> kelly@athena.mit.edu (Kevin
> >Is anyone familiar with the new version 7.0 of PC Tools (utility program
> >for the IBM from Central Point Software)?  What features have been
> >added?  Is it worth upgrading?  Thanks for any information you may have.
> >
> Version 7.0?!!??  When was it announced? where?  Is it real?
>
> any news is greatly apprieciated(sp??).

I dialed into Central Point Software's BBS system (+1-503-609-6650) on May
5th, and saw no indications of Version 7.0 (they have _lots_ of stuff for
6.0, including the CP-Backup 6.0 upgrade for PC-Backup).

If Version 7.0 is for real, please let us all know the details on price/
availability/features/etc!

                   Stuart L Labovitz
			  home:   stu%valinor.uucp@dayton.saic.com
       	       	           or     stu@valinor.uucp
                           or     dayvb!valinor!stu
                          work:   slabovit@blackbird.afit.af.mil

As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain;
	and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality.

hls@rwthinf.UUCP (Hans-Ludwig Stahl) (05/08/91)

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:
>In article <1991May5.175313.21025@athena.mit.edu> kelly@athena.mit.edu (Kevin A. Kelly) writes:
>>Is anyone familiar with the new version 7.0 of PC Tools (utility program
>>for the IBM from Central Point Software)?  What features have been
>>added?  Is it worth upgrading?  Thanks for any information you may have.
>Version 7.0?!!??  When was it announced? where?  Is it real?
Is loading PCT 7 even slower than with previous versions?

cbishop@zeus.dnet.ge.com (05/09/91)

The May 6 issue of Computerworld has an article on PC Tools V7.0.

They claim that it will have more than 100 enhancements including
three applications for Windows 3.0.  The applications are Windows
Backup, Windows Undelete and Windows Launcher.  In addition,
PC Tools 7.0 include enhanced support for Novell's Netware.

All applications are compatible with Windows 3.0 except disk
defragmentation, which must be run from DOS.  Users have the
ability to install the pieces of PC Tool they intend to use
therefore saving disk space.

List price is $179, upgrades for registered users @ $49 thru July 31.
Users of competing packages will be able to purchase PC Tools 7.0
for $59 thru August 31.

troeger@ttidca.TTI.COM (Jeff Troeger) (05/13/91)

In article <DDuL23w164w@valinor.UUCP> stu@valinor.UUCP (Stuart L Labovitz) writes:
>> Version 7.0?!!??  When was it announced? where?  Is it real?
>>
>> any news is greatly apprieciated(sp??).
>
>If Version 7.0 is for real, please let us all know the details on price/
>availability/features/etc!

Info World (May 6, 1991) has an article on Version 7 (Page 13) that describes
the new features. According to Info World, it's supposed to be shipping by the
end of the month (MAY). registered owners can upgrade for $49.00 (US) until
July 31, and users of competing products are able to switch for $59.00 (US)
until August 31.

Some of the new features are: Windows Undelete which recovers deleted files,
Windows Launcher, which starts any windows or DOS applications from a
Windows like menu, Virus Protection utilities, a utility to fix corrupt
Lotus 1-2-3 r3.1 and dBase files, a utility to permenantly erase files or
complete disks, and a Comm program called Commute which lets users run DOS
and Windows applications as well as do remote file transfers to other PCs.
Commute supposedly works with LANs or direct connects, and includes a 2 machine
license

--
Jeff Troeger - Citicorp (+) TTI              "Of all the things I've lost,
3100 Ocean Park Bl.                           I miss my mind the most"

eichi@forty2.physik.unizh.ch (Stefan Eichenberger) (05/14/91)

In article <3838@tpki.toppoint.de> kai@tpki.toppoint.de (Kai Voelcker) writes:
>Use Norton and You'll have no problems.
>
>Kai Voelcker	kai@tpki.toppoint.de
>2300 Kiel	...!unido!tpki!kai

Given the topic line, I interprete this as Norton never having an update ;-)?

iNet:      eichi@physik.unizh.ch                 Stefan Eichenberger
UUCP:      ...mcsun!chx400!forty2!eichi          Physics Institut
BITNET:    K807817@CZHRZU1A                      University of Zurich

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) (05/14/91)

In article <3838@tpki.toppoint.de> kai@tpki.toppoint.de (Kai Voelcker) writes:
>Use Norton and You'll have no problems.

Acutally, I've been using PCTools V 6.0 Delux for the last 3 months and
have loved every minute of it.

kai@kaiki.toppoint.de (Kai Voelcker) (05/19/91)

msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) writes:

> In article <3838@tpki.toppoint.de> kai@tpki.toppoint.de (Kai Voelcker) writes
> >Use Norton and You'll have no problems.
> >
> Acutally, I've been using PCTools V 6.0 Delux for the last 3 months and
> have loved every minute of it.

Ok, why not, I feel the same with my Norton package.
 | Kai Voelcker, Kappelner Str 18, D-2300 Kiel 1, voice: +49 431 335605 |
 | kai@kaiki.toppoint.de    interests: 386asm, c, pascal; OR algorithms |
 |   >>>  polite notice: I have to pay for incoming mail. Thanks  <<<   |

evans@ubvmsb.cc.buffalo.edu (Douglas Evans) (05/19/91)

In article <3704@naucse.cse.nau.edu>, wew@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Bill Wilson) writes...
>From article <1991May7.012810.8934@serval.net.wsu.edu>, by msmith@att3b2.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith):
>> In article <1991May5.175313.21025@athena.mit.edu> kelly@athena.mit.edu (Kevin A. Kelly) writes:
>>>Is anyone familiar with the new version 7.0 of PC Tools (utility program
>>

>They are currently taking orders for it.  In fact, I ordered mine today.
>It will not be shipping for a little while though.  The sales person
>was not sure exactly when.  If you order, your credit card will not
>be billed until the order actually ships.  The latest PC Week had a
>good description of the new features including Windows support.  It
>sounds great!

I would appreciate it if early customers of version 7.0 would give us a critique
of it. I recently dropped back from version 6.0 to 5.5 and I'm skeptical of
this latest version. It seems that CPS was in a big hurry to get 6.0 on the
market because the damn thing has some real annoying bugs. The tiled boxes tend
to change shape at will and it is real unforgiving with inadvertent keystrokes.
I've had the screen split up into all kinds of ridiculous arrangements just
from a slip of a key. Putting the screen back in order is a real pain, and
usually just quitting is the best remedy.

These were nuisances but what really changed my mind about 6.0 was the amount
of disk space it uses and the slower copy/move utilities. Version 5.5 is not
as pretty as 6.0 but it is more stable and more efficient. The only thing I
miss is the file viewer on 6.0.

Another little point that really burned me up about 6.0 was the way it was
advertised. It was shown in PC Mag and Byte with several color arrangements
that appealed to me. I spend as much as 60-80 hours a week in front of
different terms and for this reason I like to set my apps to "soft" color
arrangements to say wear and tear on the eyes. I come to find out that these
color schemes were just advertising ploys. Even though this sounds petty, I
think it was under-handed of CPS to display their product that way.

If I hear similar complaints about version 7.0,  I doubt I will upgrade. I
learned my lesson about CPS' new marketing techniques which involve more
emphasis on pretty packaging and advertising and less emphasis on tight,
efficient code. I still run DOS 3.3, and I'll run PC Tools 5.5 until it is
proven to me that they have eclipsed it's reliability and performance.