[comp.os.msdos.misc] Asking questions.

grohol@novavax.UUCP (John Grohol) (05/18/91)

G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:

>I am not kidding here.  Can anybody tell me what differences between
>an 80386 and an 80486 machine are?  I get confused it is because
>both of them are 32-bit machines.  How can one is faster than the
>other?

>Eddie Wu

A 386 doesn't have a built in math coprocessor. The 486 does, hence
the major differences in speed.

   John M. Grohol                    ||  Nova University
   Internet: grohol@novavax.nova.edu ||  Center for Psychological Studies
    "Freud was Skinner's fantasy."   ||  Fort Lauderdale, Florida  33314

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr k.l. lentin) (05/19/91)

In article <2424@novavax.UUCP> grohol@novavax.UUCP (John Grohol) writes:
>G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>
>>I am not kidding here.  Can anybody tell me what differences between
>>an 80386 and an 80486 machine are?  I get confused it is because
>>both of them are 32-bit machines.  How can one is faster than the
>>other?
>
>>Eddie Wu
>
>A 386 doesn't have a built in math coprocessor. The 486 does, hence
>the major differences in speed.

True, but not the whole story. The coprocessor will only increase speed
when you're using it which isn't often.

The main reason that the chip is faster is that the 486 is a 386, a 387 9maths copreccessor) and an 82385 Cache (I thinks that the no.)On one chip. The cache is only 64K but this is mainly what increases the speed. When data flows out of the CPU (physically out of the chip) it slows down by orders of magnitude, like 100 times slower at least. Thus the speed that data travels between the cache and the 486 is far faster than with the 386 and its cache and since all data access
goes through the cache (which fills itself up[ while the CPU is busy), this causes quite large increases in speed. Basically a 25mhz 486 is equivalent in speed to a 33MHZ 386. A lot of speed improvement has also been that higher clock speed
chips have been developped for the 486.

|/
|\evin

jfg@engin.umich.edu (Jon Grantham) (05/21/91)

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  k.l. lentin) wrote:
>The main reason that the chip is faster is that the 486 is a 386, a 387 9maths
>copreccessor) and an 82385 Cache (I thinks that the no.)On one chip. The cache
>is only 64K but this is mainly what increases the speed.
8k, I believe.

And It's a good idea to use line lengths <=80 characters.

Jon
--
Jon_Grantham@ub.cc.umich.edu  grantham@metropolis.super.org uunet!super!grantham
Do NOT reply to jfg@engin.umich.edu