[comp.os.msdos.misc] KERMIT key mapping - help please

barkerc@mof.govt.nz (05/16/91)

Anybody and I mean anybody  -  KERMIT 3.0 KEYBOARD MAPPING!!

I have a problem with Kermit 3.0.  Due to the substandard documentation
of public domain software, things are slightly foggy.   Has anybody
created an initialisation file for key mapping a 101 keyboard to a VMS
keyboard for using Kermit 3.0?   Or does anyone have an example or
two to get me going?

Look forward to hearing from anybody and I mean anybody.

Catherine Barker
PC Support Officer
Forest Research Institute
Ministry of Foresty Computer Centre
Rotorua
New Zealand

replies to: Barkerc@mof.govt.nz or post to newsgroup

cur022%cluster@ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May16.155859.221@mof.govt.nz>, barkerc@mof.govt.nz writes:
> I have a problem with Kermit 3.0.  Due to the substandard documentation
> of public domain software, things are slightly foggy.

Extremely GOOD documentation can be obtained from the book on MS-DOS Kermit
by Christine Gianone - a wonderful tutorial and reference. I think money
from the book helps to keep Kermit headquarters going!

----------------------------+----------------------------------------------
Bob Eager                   | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk               | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
100016.2770@compuserve.com  |
----------------------------+----------------------------------------------

pjw@hpctdkr.HP.COM (Peter Walsh) (05/21/91)

>/ hpctdkr:comp.os.msdos.misc / barkerc@mof.govt.nz /  9:58 pm  May 15, 1991 /
>Anybody and I mean anybody  -  KERMIT 3.0 KEYBOARD MAPPING!!

>I have a problem with Kermit 3.0.  Due to the substandard documentation
>of public domain software, things are slightly foggy.   Has anybody
>created an initialisation file for key mapping a 101 keyboard to a VMS
>keyboard for using Kermit 3.0?   Or does anyone have an example or
>two to get me going?

>Look forward to hearing from anybody and I mean anybody.

>Catherine Barker
>PC Support Officer
>Forest Research Institute
>Ministry of Foresty Computer Centre
>Rotorua
>New Zealand

>replies to: Barkerc@mof.govt.nz or post to newsgroup
>----------

I use both versions, 2.32/A and 3.01, and the manual is nearly the same
for both, (and quite sufficient) look up SET KEY and that will tell you
how to reassign keys from their default to a new value. At the
"Kermit-MS>" prompt you can type "SHOW KEY" and hit the key you want to
reassign and it will display the scan code for that key and the current
ASCII value output by that key (which reflects any reassignment already
activated for that key). Then again at the "Kermit-MS>" prompt type
SET KEY \[scancode] \[new ASCII code or string] then when you are in
the connect mode typing that key will produce the new ASCII code or a
whole string! (Of course one would put all these reassignments in
Kermit's initalization file or a "take" file).
It is quite easy to set up Kermit with different "mskermit.ini" files
so that it is highly customized for each connection you work with.
Check out it's macro capability too.

The one reassignment I put in all my "mskermit.ini"'s is:

set key \270 \08

which reassigns the backspace key to send a backspace character,
which kermit should sent anyway but it does'nt... it sends a del
(127) character by default (must be some kind of history baggage)

As for what VMS expects for a keyboard layout, I have no idea.