[comp.os.msdos.misc] Looking for a faster low-level format software

a_rubin@dsg4.dse.beckman.com (05/22/91)

In <91141.113948G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET> G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:

>Hi,

>  I've tried SpinRite II to low-level format on my hard disk, but I
>don't like it because it takes too much time (38 hrs. for a 42MB
>hard disk).  Can anyone name me a or a few faster low-level format
>software?  I know that those software will still take a lot of
>time.  Thanks in advance.

Seems reasonable to me, considering it revalidates bad blocks in that mode (you
ARE using maximum level, aren't you).  I would have thought about 20 hours would
be right.  (WARNING -- the last time I used SpinRite was 4 years ago.)
--
a_rubin@dsg4.dse.beckman.com
My opinions are my own, and do not represent those of my employer.

G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET (05/22/91)

Hi,

  I've tried SpinRite II to low-level format my hard disk, but I
don't like it because it takes too much time (38 hrs. for a 42MB
hard disk).  Can anyone name me a or a few faster low-level format
software?  I know that those software will still take a lot of
time.  Thanks in advance.

Eddie Wu

rjb1868@isc.rit.edu (R.J. Beverley ) (05/22/91)

In article <91141.113948G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET> G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>Hi,
>
>  I've tried SpinRite II to low-level format on my hard disk, but I
>don't like it because it takes too much time (38 hrs. for a 42MB
>hard disk).  Can anyone name me a or a few faster low-level format
>software?

	I think that you have to take into consideration that SpinRite
is NOT a low-level formatting program.  SpinRite 'reformats' a hard
drive by reading a sector, formatting it, and then writing back the
information to the sector.  A low-level formatting program JUST writes
to the disk (usually all '0's) and no information is saved.

	If you really want to wipe your hard disk, looks to your BIOS in
newer machines or to DEBUG for older machines.
later,
				-Rich
|T o y M a s t e r |    Richard J. Beverley   |-The one with the most|
|     Toys...?     | rjb1868@ultb.isc.rit.edu | toys in the end wins!|