[comp.os.msdos.misc] Wanted: SMARTDRV.SYS documentation

valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) (05/28/91)

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:

>Microsoft distributes the disk cache program SMARTDRV.SYS for free via
>download from CompuServe.  But it doesn't share the documentation,
>referring the user to the MS Windows User's Guide (which I don't have
>because I don't run Windows).

>I've tried running SMARTDRV on my 386SX PC with MS-DOS 3.30a, and it wants
>to take over all my extended (XMS via HIMEM.SYS) memory.  This leaves no
>XMS memory for 4DOS swapping.

Why would anyone *want* to run SMARTDRV (or, by the same token, HIMEM)
unless they were running WINDOWS?  (Surely, there are better caches and
better XMS drivers)  The only point of either of these programs is so
that you be doing things the Micro$oft way, all the way. [sic]
--

	(Another fine mess brought to you by valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu)

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.165059.9933@midway.uchicago.edu> valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:
|bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
|>Microsoft distributes the disk cache program SMARTDRV.SYS for free via
                                                            ^^^^^^^^
|>download from CompuServe [...]
|
|Why would anyone *want* to run SMARTDRV (or, by the same token, HIMEM)
|unless they were running WINDOWS?  (Surely, there are better caches and
|better XMS drivers)  The only point of either of these programs is so
|that you be doing things the Micro$oft way, all the way. [sic]

Because they're free!

(Although I expect I'll break down and buy QEMM386 just to get back the
64 KB "upper memory" area which HIMEM won't give me.  4DOS can use this
area to good advantage.)

--
Bob Weissman
Internet:	bob@omni.com

rdippold@cancun.qualcomm.com (Ron Dippold) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May28.165059.9933@midway.uchicago.edu> valley@gsbsun.uchicago.edu (Doug Dougherty) writes:
>bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
>>I've tried running SMARTDRV on my 386SX PC with MS-DOS 3.30a, and it wants
>>to take over all my extended (XMS via HIMEM.SYS) memory.  This leaves no
>>XMS memory for 4DOS swapping.
>
>Why would anyone *want* to run SMARTDRV (or, by the same token, HIMEM)
>unless they were running WINDOWS?  (Surely, there are better caches and
>better XMS drivers)  The only point of either of these programs is so
>that you be doing things the Micro$oft way, all the way. [sic]

Ever _if_ you are running Windows.  Hyper Disk Cache and PC-Kwik will work with
Windows as well as SMARTDRV.SYS does (the latest versions, anyhow) and are
much, much faster.

--
Standard disclaimer applies, you legalistic hacks.     |     Ron Dippold