[comp.os.msdos.misc] Spinrite II and slow low-level format

metla_jpm@cc.helsinki.fi (JP M{kel{) (05/27/91)

In article <1991May22.173915.4052@news.larc.nasa.gov>,
jcburt@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov (John Burton) writes:

> Formatting a 40 meg disk should NOT take 38 hours regardless of the
> software you're using...if it does, I'd begin to suspect a problem
> with the disk or controller...

The 'problem' is that Spinrite II formats the hard disk WITHOUT erasing
the data in it; That product is for maintaining the disk and changing the
interleave, not for the initial formatting, which is, as you state, supposed
to be MUCH faster.

		   This .sig intentionally left blank.

G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET (05/29/91)

I used what they called depth 4 low-level format.  It was extremely slow.

Eddie Wu

lhuston@yale.citi.umich.edu (Larry Huston) (05/29/91)

The reason that spinrite is slow, is that spinrite is also doing some
pattern testing, and the higher depth you use, the more thorough the
pattern testing is.  If you just want to low-level reformat the
disk, you can turn the pattern testing off and it will be about
as fast as a normal low-level format.  All of this is explained in
the manual.

	-Larry