[comp.os.msdos.misc] Windows 3.0 problems?

cee1@ra.MsState.Edu (The Chuckmeister) (05/28/91)

From the very first time I even heard of Micro$oft Windows 3.0, I was told
by a local computer building/selling store that I should NOT use it because
either [I can't rememeber] the HIMEM.SYS or SMARTDRV.SYS is buggy and would
eat up or screw up my FAT tables... any truth in this???
is there a newer version like 3.1 or 3.02 or something.

Thanks

cee1@ra.msstate.edu

landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) (05/30/91)

In article <798@ra.MsState.Edu> cee1@ra.MsState.Edu (The Chuckmeister) writes:
>From the very first time I even heard of Micro$oft Windows 3.0, I was told
>by a local computer building/selling store that I should NOT use it because
>either [I can't rememeber] the HIMEM.SYS or SMARTDRV.SYS is buggy and would
>eat up or screw up my FAT tables... any truth in this???
>is there a newer version like 3.1 or 3.02 or something.

Now...who should you trust, some pimply faced teenaged nerd working 'round
the corner, or the millions of people using Windows who haven't screamed
to Microsoft because of crashed disks?!?  (That's microsoft, the people who
invented your PC FAT).

--
   <================================><===============================>
   || Christopher Landers           || PURDUE UNIVERSITY - KRAN 708 ||

msmith@proton.tricity.wsu.edu (Mark Smith) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.145455.29517@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu> landers@zeus.mgmt.purdue.edu (Christopher Landers) writes:
>In article <798@ra.MsState.Edu> cee1@ra.MsState.Edu (The Chuckmeister) writes:
>>From the very first time I even heard of Micro$oft Windows 3.0, I was told
>>by a local computer building/selling store that I should NOT use it because
>>either [I can't rememeber] the HIMEM.SYS or SMARTDRV.SYS is buggy and would
>>eat up or screw up my FAT tables... any truth in this???
>>is there a newer version like 3.1 or 3.02 or something.
>
>Now...who should you trust, some pimply faced teenaged nerd working 'round
>the corner, or the millions of people using Windows who haven't screamed
>to Microsoft because of crashed disks?!?  (That's microsoft, the people who
>invented your PC FAT).

Well, actually if you use DO$ 3.2 with a hard disk bigger than 32 Meg and use
third party partion expanders (partions bigger than 32Meg) with window$ 3
you MAY, POSSIBLY, MIGHT BE ABLE TO, DEFINATE CHANCE OF A POSSIBLE MAYBE,
trash your FAT table.  It's supposed to be well behaved under DO$ 4.