[comp.os.msdos.misc] 4dos problem.....

smith@muvms3.bitnet (Phil smith) (05/25/91)

I am having a problem when I attempt to load 4dos (v3.02) as my
command interpreter. The problem is that my environment is lost. I know
this because I am using the commercial product BOOTCON which allows
me to select from various configurations at boot time.  It does this
through the use of an environment variable name bootcon. The variable
is present during the execution of config.sys, since the appropriate
device drivers are loaded; however when  autoexec.bat is loaded and
executed, the branching based on the environment variable is ignored.
From the dos prompt, if I type 'SET' this variable is gone.

I have been using the identical setup under command.com (v4.01) for
some time now; it is only since attempting to use 4dos that I see
this problem.

All input appreciated.
Phil

Phil Smith			BITNET:		Smith@Marshall
Senior Systems Analyst		Internet:	Smith@Marshall.edu
Marshall University				Smith@Muvms3.wvnet.edu
University Computer Center	Phone/voice:	(304) 696-2591
Prichard Hall			FAX:		(304) 696-3601
Huntington, WV  25755-5320
Opinions? My employer doesn't allow me to have any - these are borrowed.

system@syzzle.chi.il.us (awol) (05/28/91)

smith@muvms3.bitnet (Phil smith) writes:

> I am having a problem when I attempt to load 4dos (v3.02) as my
> command interpreter. The problem is that my environment is lost. I know
> this because I am using the commercial product BOOTCON which allows
> me to select from various configurations at boot time.  It does this
> through the use of an environment variable name bootcon. The variable
> is present during the execution of config.sys, since the appropriate
> device drivers are loaded; however when  autoexec.bat is loaded and
> executed, the branching based on the environment variable is ignored.
> From the dos prompt, if I type 'SET' this variable is gone.

I think you may take care of your problem by switching to 4dos v3.03. I
am not posotive about this, but I seem to remember that older versions
(than 3.03) of 3dos would, by default, swap out the master environment.
Which means that programs which don't use DOS's means to access the
environment would not find it properly. There was a switch to tell 4dos
not to swap the master environment. Version 3.03 appears to *NOT* swap
master envirnment by default. So that might work for you.

+------------------------+-----------------------------------+
|   Al Oomens (awol)     | Inside every LARGE program is     |
| awol@syzzle.chi.il.us  | a small program trying to get out.|
+------------------------+-----------------------------------+

newman_r@cho006.cho.ge.com (06/04/91)

In article <48707@muvms3.bitnet>, smith@muvms3.bitnet (Phil smith) writes:
> I am having a problem when I attempt to load 4dos (v3.02) as my
> command interpreter. The problem is that my environment is lost. I know

I've seen similar problems when I exceed my allocated environment.  When
you "overflow" the environment, 4dos doesn't just ignore the excess, it
also serves to hose the existing environment.  When I suspect a problem,
I do just as you said...type SET, and look for strange stuff.  Also, trying
to set more environment variables at that point elicits an error message.

If this is the problem, just increase the environment space allocated
using the /E switch in the SHELL command of the appropriate config.sys's.

--

Bob Newman                           internet:  newman_r@cho006.CHO.GE.COM
GE Fanuc Automation, Inc.            uunet: ...uunet!virginia!edison!rfn