[comp.os.msdos.misc] Anything about Word Perfect?

<G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET> (06/01/91)

It's been more than one year that Word Perfect 5.1 was released.
Does anyone hear anything about the new version of Word Perfect?
Would it be nameed Word Perfect for Windows?  Thanks in advance.

Eddie Wu

jglover@ducvax.auburn.edu (06/04/91)

In article <91152.134610G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET>, G22QC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
> It's been more than one year that Word Perfect 5.1 was released.
> Does anyone hear anything about the new version of Word Perfect?
> Would it be nameed Word Perfect for Windows?  Thanks in advance.
>

> Eddie Wu

Well Eddie, WordPerfect continues to support 5.1 with periodic
technical updates.  Rest assured, WP won't leave such a huge
installed base out in the cold.  As for a 5.5 or 6.0 release,
I haven't heard anything.

The big news from WordPerfect lately has been the release of
the Mac 2.0 product.  It was hailed by MacUser as the most
powerful word processor available for the Mac. And... yes,
there is a Windows product scheduled for release soon.  Though
originally scheduled to ship this month, the WP folks at
Comdex told us to expect it in August. :-(  WordPerfect for
Windows is apparently taking a little longer in development
than they had planned but it is supposedly in early early
beta.  The version shown at Comdex looked great and ran(!)
well (as opposed to the Lotus Win product which crashed
during a demo.)

Anyway, considering WP's track record, when it is released,
it will probably knock the socks off MS Word, Ami, et. al.
Just my opinion.

Oh, BTW, WP also announced a cheap upgrade offer for users
of 5.1, 5.0, AND 4.2(if you still have _that_ :-).

Hope this helps.
Jay

I cannot imagine mastering the skills involved here without
a clearer understanding of who is going to be impressed.
                                          - Calvin (& Hobbes)
Jay Glover                  | My opinions do not represent
Academic Computing Services | those of Auburn University, the
Auburn University           | Division of University Computing
JGLOVER@DUCVAX.AUBURN.EDU   | or Academic Computing Services.