[comp.os.msdos.misc] MS-DOS Drivers for SCSI hard disks

dsk@cbnewsj.att.com (donald.s.klett) (06/05/91)

I am interested in the availability of dos drivers to handle a SCSI hard disk.
The standard AT&T issue of MS-DOS does not contain a SCSI driver.  It may be
that a SCSI driver does not exist for DOS.  Anyway, I would appreciate any
info on such a driver, if it exists.  Thanks.

Don Klett
dsk@arch3.att.com
(908)949-2283

jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.175806.17211@cbnewsj.att.com>, dsk@cbnewsj.att.com (donald.s.klett) writes:
> I am interested in the availability of dos drivers to handle a SCSI hard disk.
> The standard AT&T issue of MS-DOS does not contain a SCSI driver.  It may be
> that a SCSI driver does not exist for DOS.  Anyway, I would appreciate any
> info on such a driver, if it exists.  Thanks.
>
> Don Klett
> dsk@arch3.att.com
> (908)949-2283

SCSI controller cards are cheap, and can be had everywhere. They act
just like a MFM, or RLL controller. The drivers are in the controller.

By the way some SCSI controllers use RLL encoding.

------------------------
James F. Van Valkenburg         a.k.a.  "van"
AT&T 				Attmail: !jfv               jfv@cbnewsk.att.com
Atlanta, GA.			Voice  404-810-7920

   ---- Standard Disclaimers included -- Just another grunt at AT&T ----

feustel@netcom.COM (David Feustel) (06/07/91)

I think NCR's version of MSDOS includes SCSI drivers for their
machines, although it may actually be in the NCR bios.
--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631
EMAIL: feustel@netcom.com  or feustel@cvax.ipfw.indiana.edu

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun4.193351.22082@cbnewsk.att.com> jfv@cbnewsk.att.com (j.f.van valkenburg) writes:
>In article <1991Jun4.175806.17211@cbnewsj.att.com>, dsk@cbnewsj.att.com (donald.s.klett) writes:
>> I am interested in the availability of dos drivers to handle a SCSI hard disk.
>> The standard AT&T issue of MS-DOS does not contain a SCSI driver.  It may be
>> that a SCSI driver does not exist for DOS.  Anyway, I would appreciate any
>> info on such a driver, if it exists.  Thanks.
>>
>> Don Klett
>> dsk@arch3.att.com
>> (908)949-2283
>
>SCSI controller cards are cheap, and can be had everywhere. They act
>just like a MFM, or RLL controller. The drivers are in the controller.
>
>By the way some SCSI controllers use RLL encoding.

Many of the "cheap" SCSI adapters (ST01, ST02, etc) do not give good
performance. The good controllers that will allow peak SCSI performance (WD
FAAST, Adaptec, etc), but cost more. Many of these don't need drivers for
vanilla stuff (Only disks, no more than 2 disks, etc). With the right driver,
they can support up to 7 devices (disks, tapes, CDroms, etc).

SCSI controllers implement NO encoding at all. All that is done in the drive
itself, and yes, most SCSI drives implement RLL, or ZBR technology.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254