[comp.os.msdos.misc] Program to print over phone network on a remote PC???

john@maui.cs.ucla.edu (g janakiraman) (06/10/91)

Hi!

I am a novice DOS user, and I would like some advice and
suggestions in doing the following:

I have a commercial package that has a pull down menu option
to print something. I want to write a program that will
capture what is to be sent to the printer, forward it
over a modem to a remote PC, and print it on the remote PC.

The concerns I have are:
1. Is it possible to capture what is being sent to the printer?
   If yes, how?
2. Can I have it forwarded on the modem, even if I am running the
   commercial package?
3. What should be done at the remote PC, so that it sends the stuff
   that it receives on the modem to the printer? Would it work even
   if someone is using that remote PC?

Any help would be appreciated. If such a program, or any part of it
already exists, any pointers to the source code would be great.

Kindly send replies to john@cs.ucla.edu

Thanks.

John

anthony@convex.csd.uwm.edu (Anthony J Stieber) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun9.203110.23914@cs.ucla.edu> john@maui.cs.ucla.edu (g janakiraman) writes:
[...]
>The concerns I have are:
>1. Is it possible to capture what is being sent to the printer?
>   If yes, how?
>2. Can I have it forwarded on the modem, even if I am running the
>   commercial package?
>3. What should be done at the remote PC, so that it sends the stuff
>   that it receives on the modem to the printer? Would it work even

That you want to print over "phone network" doesn't really matter, unless
you mean you're running Netware or something over the modem.  All
you have to do is reroute your printer port to a serial port.  This
should be documented in your MS-DOS manual.

Something like "mode com1:2400n81e" will configure com port 1 for
2400bps, no parity, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, return error for busy port.
Change these settings as appropriate for your modem.  Then do a
"mode lpt1:=com1:" to redirect lpt1 to com1.  This will cause all printer
data that would normally go to lpt1 to go out the serial port instead.

At the remote end you could run a terminal program like Kermit or
Procomm, Telix, etc, to do an ASCII file receive and send it all to the
printer.  Or you could something like the above: use mode to set the
com port, then use "copy com1 lpt1:" to copy everything that comes from
the com port to the printer.  Yet another way would be to hook the
modem directly to the serial port on the printer (if it has one).  Then
you won't need a computer, just a special cable.

There are several programs that will capture data sent to a printer
port into a file.  If the above doesn't work for you for some reason,
you could use one of these and transfer the file to the remote machine
later.
--
<-:(= Anthony Stieber	anthony@csd4.csd.uwm.edu   uwm!uwmcsd4!anthony