[comp.os.msdos.misc] HELP! MS DOS 5.0

ak698@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Timothy Stark) (06/12/91)

[Repost of this article because it was loss during transmission. If you
receive this second article, I am sorry about that. -tms]

Hello Everyone:

      Help! I have another problem with MSDOS product. I heard that
Microsoft sales release new version of MSDOS 5.0. Someone told me that
it will be retail product but I found out that MSDOS 5.0 still is not
retail product and upgrade-only version (required DOS 2.11 or later).
I unable to find *FULL* version of MSDOS 5.0.

      I have ATonce emulator for my Amiga from Vortex gmH in Germany.
Its package do not come with MSDOS package and tell me to find *FULL*
version of MSDOS package in order to work with ATonce hardware.

      Microsoft Sales told me that Vortex must have responsible for that.
Its policy require Vortex include MSDOS package with ATonce package.
But I *DON'T* like Microsoft policy for MSDOS pakages. Do not purchase
ATonce package unless Vortex include MSDOS package with ATonce hardware.
So I complain seriously aganist its policy.

      Where can I find full version of MSDOS 5.0? No upgrade products,
please!

--
Timothy Stark              Internet: ak698@cleveland.freenet.edu
5 West Glebe Rd, Apt B8    Work: (202) 377-9606 TDD/TTY only Prodigy: XRFR50A

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (06/12/91)

In article <9106121222.AA00667@cwns10.INS.CWRU.Edu> ak698@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Timothy Stark) writes:

I tried mailing this, but it bounced.  So, sorry for wastednetbandwidth

   Hello Everyone:

	 Help! I have another problem with MSDOS product. I heard that
   Microsoft sales release new version of MSDOS 5.0. Someone told me that
   it will be retail product but I found out that MSDOS 5.0 still is not
   retail product and upgrade-only version (required DOS 2.11 or later).
   I unable to find *FULL* version of MSDOS 5.0.

[details ommitted]
   --
   Timothy Stark              Internet: ak698@cleveland.freenet.edu
   5 West Glebe Rd, Apt B8    Work: (202) 377-9606 TDD/TTY only Prodigy:XRFR50A
   Alexandria, Va. 22305      Home: (703) 684-6031 TDD/TTY only BIX:     tstark
   "Gallaudet University is the world's only university for the deaf."

   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   Hey, your local!

Well, if you want to buy everything, buy a version of 3.3, 4.01, or
what ever (> 2.11) and install that, than do the upgrade.  Or, talk
someone into letting you borrow and old version, install it, and
upgrade.  Most everyone has old copies around they'd be willing to let
you borrrow long enough to get running.  Really all you have to do to
install it is to FDISK the hard disk, FORMAT the hard disk (or what
ever, I don't know 'bout your hardware), SYS the hard disk, make sure
it is bootable, boot off of the hard disk, then run the MS-DOS
upgrade.  You don't really have to copy everything on the old version
to the hard disk. All of these you'd have to do anyway if it is a
virgin system so you're not wasting any time.

bruce
--
Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) (06/13/91)

ak698@cleveland.Freenet.Edu wrote:
->      I have ATonce emulator for my Amiga from Vortex gmH in Germany.
->Its package do not come with MSDOS package and tell me to find *FULL*
->version of MSDOS package in order to work with ATonce hardware.

well, according to the upgrade package, MS DOS 5.0 is not supported or
available outside the USA ... so it looks like you'll have to wait.

--
# Henry Mensch / Advanced Decision Systems / <henry@ads.com>

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (06/13/91)

ak698@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Timothy Stark) writes:

>retail product and upgrade-only version (required DOS 2.11 or later).

>      Microsoft Sales told me that Vortex must have responsible for that.
>Its policy require Vortex include MSDOS package with ATonce package.
>But I *DON'T* like Microsoft policy for MSDOS pakages. Do not purchase
>ATonce package unless Vortex include MSDOS package with ATonce hardware.
>So I complain seriously aganist its policy.

>      Where can I find full version of MSDOS 5.0? No upgrade products,
>please!

Tell Microsoft you have MS-DOS 1.0 and you cannot upgrade so you need
the 5.0 as a whole thing or else you will go to Digital Research.
--
 /***************************************************************************\
/ Phil Howard -- KA9WGN -- phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu   |  Guns don't aim guns at  \

adrian@milton.u.washington.edu (Adrian Mariano) (06/13/91)

Timothy Stark writes:

>      Help! I have another problem with MSDOS product. I heard that
>Microsoft sales release new version of MSDOS 5.0. Someone told me that
>it will be retail product but I found out that MSDOS 5.0 still is not
>retail product and upgrade-only version (required DOS 2.11 or later).
>I unable to find *FULL* version of MSDOS 5.0.

Fortunately, this is a small lie on MS's part.  If you know anyone
with DOS, get a bootable floppy from them.  You can boot with that,
and then install; I have installed DOS 5 to an unformatted HD using a
DOS 4.01 floppy.

Jason Merrill
jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr k.l. lentin) (06/13/91)

In article <ufmymxqn3a@ads.com> henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) writes:
>ak698@cleveland.Freenet.Edu wrote:
>
>well, according to the upgrade package, MS DOS 5.0 is not supported or
>available outside the USA ... so it looks like you'll have to wait.

Well, I am in Australia and my copy gets here tomorrow. The store I bought
it from said they had 1 left from the 150 they got at the begnning of the
week and they are getting a whole bunch tomorrow. Looks like 5.0 is alive
and kicking down under!

--
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
|\evin (ins845b@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au)  | All reasonable offers accepted
-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------

jaaps@dbf.kun.nl (Jaap Shane) (06/14/91)

henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) writes:

>ak698@cleveland.Freenet.Edu wrote:
>->      I have ATonce emulator for my Amiga from Vortex gmH in Germany.
>->Its package do not come with MSDOS package and tell me to find *FULL*
>->version of MSDOS package in order to work with ATonce hardware.

>well, according to the upgrade package, MS DOS 5.0 is not supported or
>available outside the USA ... so it looks like you'll have to wait.

This is absolutely and completely NOT TRUE.

I just ordered an upgrade from MS-DOS 4.00 (Yepp, the buggy one) here in
Holland. Delivery next week.

Of course, as always prices are way up here in Holland, but we have to live
with that. I paid about 95 US$. Regular dos 4.01 costs about 400 US$ here in
the dutch language version.

>--
># Henry Mensch / Advanced Decision Systems / <henry@ads.com>

Jaap Shane
--
Jaap Shane                  | Department of Physical Chemistry,