[comp.os.msdos.misc] MSDOS 5.0 installation help

gasior@khazad-dum.rutgers.edu (Eric Gasior) (06/17/91)

I have an unusual setup on my PC and don't want to take chances when I install
DOS 5.

I've got an 80286 machine with an RLL hard drive partitioned using Disk
Manager. Drive C: is about .25 Meg (yes, as in 250K). Furthermore, the
dmdrvr.bin that came with DM won't work with DOS 5. I'm using DM because D: is larger than 32 meg

Should I install DOS to floppy, eliminate my hard drive partition, repartition
with DOS 3.3's Fdisk (or forget about partitions despite the drive's size),
reformat with 3.3 (I really wish the full MSDOS 5 was in the store), then
install DOS 5?

Eric

gasior@hardees.rutgers.edu

yev_g@athena.mit.edu (Yevgeny Gurevich) (06/18/91)

In article <Jun.17.12.04.58.1991.532@khazad-dum.rutgers.edu> gasior@khazad-dum.rutgers.edu (Eric Gasior) writes:
>I've got an 80286 machine with an RLL hard drive partitioned using Disk
>Manager. Drive C: is about .25 Meg (yes, as in 250K). Furthermore, the
>dmdrvr.bin that came with DM won't work with DOS 5. I'm using DM because D: is larger than 32 meg

I believe that the DOS 5.0 manual states that the primary DOS Boot partition
must be at least 2 megs in size.

>Should I install DOS to floppy, eliminate my hard drive partition,
>repartition with DOS 3.3's Fdisk (or forget about partitions despite the
>drive's size), reformat with 3.3 (I really wish the full MSDOS 5 was in
>the store), then install DOS 5?
>
>Eric

I think that your best bet would be to backup your data.  Partition your
drive to create a reasonably-sized C: drive (10-15 megs, perhaps) and
install a bare-bones DOS onto drive C:  Even SYS C: will work.
Installing DOS 5.0 on top of that should work without a hitch.