[comp.os.msdos.misc] MS-DOS 5.00

baldy@micor.ocunix.on.ca (The Bald Eagle) (06/16/91)

I installed DOS 5.00 (the Upgrade), and after fixing it a bit (adding
some statements that were in my old autoexec.bat and config.sys), I ran
Windows.  I wanted to start CorelDraw, but the path was invalid.

What happened what that, except for C:, all drive has been conpletely mixed
up.  I have two 70Mb hard disks, and each one is divided in 3 partitions.
(BTW, I was using the NEC version of MS-DOS 3.30).

SO my drives were going from C: to H:.  Now, they are in the order
C: H: (was D:), G: (was E:), D: (was F:), E: (was G:) and F: (was H:).

It was a pain to set up the system back so that everithing would work again.

Anyway, did this happen to anybody else?  What could cause this sort of
problem???

Thanks,

Andre

--
uucp: micor!baldy        internet:  baldy@micor.ocunix.on.ca

The Bald Eagle strikes again!
God created only so many perfect heads, the rest He covered with hair.

mikel@dosbears.UUCP (Mike Lipsie) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun16.045008.21501@micor.ocunix.on.ca> baldy@micor.ocunix.on.ca (The Bald Eagle) writes:

>What happened what that, except for C:, all drive has been conpletely mixed
>up.  I have two 70Mb hard disks, and each one is divided in 3 partitions.
>(BTW, I was using the NEC version of MS-DOS 3.30).

I assume that you had one primary and an extended partion on each
drive and that the extended was divided into two pieces.  That is
what I had on my MS version of 3.30 and is the only way possible in
my version of FDISK.  If NEC had modified FDISK, all bets are off.

>SO my drives were going from C: to H:.  Now, they are in the order
>C: H: (was D:), G: (was E:), D: (was F:), E: (was G:) and F: (was H:).

DOS 5.0 has a section explaining how drives are assigned letters.  It
is how your drives were assigned.  MS DOS 3.30 used the same rules but,
once again, if NEC changed things, all bets are off.

>Anyway, did this happen to anybody else?  What could cause this sort of
>problem???

I had the same setup (DOS 3.3, two 66MB drives) and had absolutely no
problems.

--
Mike Lipsie
dosbears!mikel@pyramid.com