[comp.os.msdos.misc] MSC version 6.0 problems with DOS 5.0

bxw@ccadfa.adfa.oz.au (Brad Willcott) (06/18/91)

lfk@eastman1.mit.edu (Lee F. Kolakowski) writes:

>	I installed MSDOS 5.0 on Wednesday, and it is pretty nice
>in some respects. Today I tried to use the C compiler
>and it fails on pass 2 saying

[...]

>Command line error D2027 : could not execute 'c:\bin\c2.exe'

>I have over 500 kb free, and usually use the mks toolkit shell.
>I never had this problem with dos 3.1-4.1.

>What is going on?

>This is my config.sys
>rem      # option 'normal' written by restart on Sat Jun 15 15:43:52 1991
>break=on
>stacks=0,0
>fcbs=1
>lastdrive=E
>shell=c:\etc\init.exe -R c:/
>buffers=25
>files=20
>device=c:\dev\himem.sys
>devicehigh=c:\dev\fconsole.dev -l=1 -g=400 -s=5000 -q=1 -r=100
>device=c:\dev\smartdrv.sys 256
>device=c:\dev\ramdrive.sys 2000 /e
>DOS=HIGH

As you have NOT mentioned what your hardware configuration is, I will give
you part of the solution for a 386+ system with 2+Mb ram:

shell=c:\command.com /e:2048 /p
dos=high,umb      # check the syntax here!
buffers=25
files=30
device=c:\dev\himem.sys   #DOS 5.00 version
device=c:\dev\emm386.exe noems ...
devicehigh=c:\dev\fconsole.dev ...
devicehigh=c:\dev\smartdrive.sys 2048 512     #DOS 5.00 version
# unless absolutely necessary, don't use the ramdrive.  Use smartdrv instead
# as you will get much better all-round performance using it.  Use a
# minimum of 512Kb with smartdrv, or you are wasting you time and ram.

Sequence is important.  Check the DOS manual.  I'm fairly sure I've got it
right, above.

One more thing.  Do you use a makefile facility?  If so, then is it 'dmake'?
If not then it would be worth you will, if you are a serious programmer, to
switch over to it.  Compile up the swapping version of dmake, and you can
write your makefiles so that dmake will swap out to disk BEFORE compiling
or linking.  This can be the difference between success and failure.

E-mail me if you need more help.

--
Brad Willcott,                          ACSnet:     bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz
Computing Services,                     Internet:   bxw@ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au