[comp.os.msdos.misc] DRDOS config file

matelgar@nmsu.edu (Marek Telgarsky) (06/20/91)

HHEEEELLPP!!!!
Drdos's config.sys file is a bitch to set up! It does the wierdest
things. For example.. i have three questions on mine.. one that asks
if you want to load the mouse, another that asks if you want expanded
mem, and the third asks if you want the windows drivers loaded.
The funny thing is that when i load NOTHING .. it gives me LESS memory
if i loaded the mouse and the expanded memory.. what the hell? I dont
get it. Can anyone mail me a version of an optimized config.sys file
for drdos that will do:
1. load a mouse.. with a question or without.. doesnt matter
2. either load the windows drivers.. otherwise load up 3072K of
expanded memory.
the second choice i think wouldd be a question.I am looking for a
config file that would give me 600K of free regular memory or more.
Soo.... can anyone help..?
			Thanks in Advance
			 Marek Telgasky

/***********************************************************************/
main() {			/* matelgar@dante.nmsu.edu */
  while(1)
    printf("Hi World!\n");	/* infinite recursion.. :) */
}

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (06/21/91)

[ article deleted ]
>/***********************************************************************/
>main() {			/* matelgar@dante.nmsu.edu */
>  while(1)
>    printf("Hi World!\n");	/* infinite recursion.. :) */
>}                                          ^^^^^^^^^

I think you should go get a dictionary and look up the word "recursion" ...

;^)

--
Glenn M. Mason, Senior Research Programmer/Analyst
Laboratory for Applied Research in Academic Information

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) (06/22/91)

tporczyk@na.excelan.com (Tony Porczyk) writes:

   >In article <1991Jun20.175611.14033@welch.jhu.edu> glenn@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) writes:
   >>> /* infinite recursion.. :) */
   >>              ^^^^^^^^^
   >>I think you should go get a dictionary and look up the word "recursion" ...
   >>;^)
   >
   >Okay, I know this is supposed to be funny because I can see a smiley,
   >but I can't get it.  So how is "recursion" spelled in *your*
   >dictionary?

An endless loop is *not* recursion.  *This* is recursion:

void main()
{
    printf("What do you see when look at a mirror's reflection in
            another mirror?");
    main();
}

The point is that the function main() is calling itself.  The above
leads to a condition not unlike an endless loop, but recursion can be
controlled and leads to some very elegant programming.

So, here's a new use for a dictionary:  look at the meaning of the word,
rather than the spelling! :-)

Roy Schmidt                 |  #include <disclaimer.h>
Indiana University          |  /* They are _my_ thoughts, and you can't
Graduate School of Business |     have them, so there!  */

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (06/22/91)

rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) <1991Jun21.215316.25312@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> :
| An endless loop is *not* recursion.  *This* is recursion:

Unfortunately, "recursion" is one of those technical words whose exact
meaning varies with the technique.  For computer scientists, an endless
loop indeed is not recursion.  Recursion involves the notion of referring
to oneself, typically through a subroutine call (viz. the main() example).
However, to a mathematician recursion has a more general meaning, more
closely tied to its root word -- which is "recur".  For the computer
scientist it is useful to distinguish between "recursion" and "iteration",
but in a mathematical sense these are merely two styles of the same
fundamental behavior.

Here is the xWebster definition, from iuvax.cs.indiana.edu:

- re-cur-sion
- ri-'ker-zhen\ n
- [LL recursion-, recursio, fr. recursus, pp. of recurrere]
- (1616)
- 1: RETURN
- 2: the determination of a succession of elements (as numbers or functions)
-      by operation on one or more preceding elements according to
-      a rule or formula involving a finite number of steps

Comment: endlessness is not fundamental to recursion, whether you're a
mathematician or a computer scientist.  It's just the property that
makes it pointless to wait for the final answer to appear...

Mathematics:
	If you don't agree with this article, then
		go to the beginning and reread it all.

Computer Science:
	( while	(disagrees reader this-article)
		(read-all-of this-article) )

glenn@welch.jhu.edu (Glenn M. Mason) (06/24/91)

In article <1991Jun21.174201.1993@news.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
>rschmidt@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (roy schmidt) <1991Jun21.215316.25312@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> :
>| An endless loop is *not* recursion.  *This* is recursion:
>
>Unfortunately, "recursion" is one of those technical words whose exact
>meaning varies with the technique.  For computer scientists, an endless
>loop indeed is not recursion.  Recursion involves the notion of referring
>to oneself, typically through a subroutine call (viz. the main() example).
>However, to a mathematician recursion has a more general meaning, more
>closely tied to its root word -- which is "recur".  For the computer
>scientist it is useful to distinguish between "recursion" and "iteration",
>but in a mathematical sense these are merely two styles of the same
>fundamental behavior.
>
>Here is the xWebster definition, from iuvax.cs.indiana.edu:
>
>- re-cur-sion
>- ri-'ker-zhen\ n
>- [LL recursion-, recursio, fr. recursus, pp. of recurrere]
>- (1616)
>- 1: RETURN
>- 2: the determination of a succession of elements (as numbers or functions)
>-      by operation on one or more preceding elements according to
>-      a rule or formula involving a finite number of steps
>
>Comment: endlessness is not fundamental to recursion, whether you're a
>mathematician or a computer scientist.  It's just the property that
>makes it pointless to wait for the final answer to appear...
>
>Mathematics:
>	If you don't agree with this article, then
>		go to the beginning and reread it all.
>
>Computer Science:
>	( while	(disagrees reader this-article)
>		(read-all-of this-article) )

Geeeeeeeeez! I think this is getting a little out of hand guys! I retract
my original followup posting.

;^)