[comp.os.msdos.misc] Does IBM DOS 5.0 work on Clones?

woan@exeter.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S Woan) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun19.152255.5940@e2big.mko.dec.com> Timmons@atccad.enet.dec.com writes:
>Thru July 10, Egghead has IBM PC-DOS 5.0 for only $39.99.  That is
>cheaper than dealers pay for MS-DOS 5.0.  But, the ad says for IBM
>PC's only!  Is that true?

It is an upgrade that installs over a preinstalled IBM PC-DOS only.
The fully licensed version is $99 at Egghead, I believe. The generic
MSDOS 5.0 upgrade is also $39.99 anyway.

>To get the extra $20 off they ask you questions - could one of the
>questions be "What is your IBM-PC Serial Number?)

No, what speadsheet and wordprocessor do you use are the types of
questions they ask, along with do you want to buy the additional book
from Queue.

>Is this just a statment to be sure IBM does not have to respond to
>problems with clone?  I can speculate, but has anybody actually done
>the install?

It may only be warranted for IBM machines... The full version should
work fine, except for BASICA which expects part of it in ROM.
+ Ronald S. Woan                woan@cactus.org or woan@austin.vnet.ibm.com +
+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

timmons@atccad.enet.dec.com (06/19/91)

Thru July 10, Egghead has IBM PC-DOS 5.0 for only $39.99.  That is
cheaper than dealers pay for MS-DOS 5.0.  But, the ad says for IBM
PC's only!  Is that true?  Has anybody actually tried installing it
on a clone?  (Since it is an upgrade, it may look for an IBM version
DOS, maybe even may look for "IBM" in ROM.  To get the extra $20 off
they ask you questions - could one of the questions be "What is your
IBM-PC Serial Number?)  Is this just a statment to be sure IBM does
not have to respond to problems with clone?  I can speculate, but
has anybody actually done the install?

Ray T.

ginsburg@cme.nist.gov (Dylan Ginsburg) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun19.152255.5940@e2big.mko.dec.com> timmons@atccad.enet.dec.com writes:
>   cheaper than dealers pay for MS-DOS 5.0.  But, the ad says for IBM
>   PC's only!  Is that true?  Has anybody actually tried installing it
>   on a clone?

I installed 5.0 on my DTK 1630 (386sx) with no problems whatsoever.

>   DOS, maybe even may look for "IBM" in ROM.  To get the extra $20 off
>   they ask you questions - could one of the questions be "What is your
>   IBM-PC Serial Number?)

The questions Egghead asks to get the rebate are very innocent. They
ask about 15 questions  about your configuration, which
applications you use, etc.

-Dylan

hargrove@asc.slb.com (Jim Hargrove) (06/20/91)

I bought the 5.0 upgrade from Egghead. One of the questions they ask
is, "Do you want the IBM version or the MS-DOS version?" If you have a
clone, get the MS-DOS version.

I have successfully installed 5.0 on my Dell 386. I did have one
problem with himem.sys which is covered in an earlier post. Everything
seems to work fine now.
--

        -- jwh

bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com (Bob Geer) (06/20/91)

hargrove@asc.slb.com (Jim Hargrove) writes:
>I bought the 5.0 upgrade from Egghead. One of the questions they ask
>is, "Do you want the IBM version or the MS-DOS version?" If you have a
>clone, get the MS-DOS version.

The question was, since from information other postings Egghead is
selling PC-DOS 5 for $40, some $20 cheaper than MS-DOS 5:

	DOES PC-DOS 5 WORK ON CLONES?

The point is, can we clone owners expect to run PC-DOS 5 on our clones
& save the $20?  I've followed this thread as best I could & haven't
seen anyone say specifically they were running PC-DOS 5 (the cheaper
version) on their clone, & which clone they had.

I would appreciate precise info...

Thanks, Bob
--
<> Bob `Bear' Geer <>   bgeer%javelin.sim.es.com   (this *should* work)   <>
<>     cola-zombie <>   speaking only for myself, one of my many tricks   <>

wilcox@wucs1.wustl.edu (Don Wilcox) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun20.141510.8844@javelin.sim.es.com> bgeer%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>hargrove@asc.slb.com (Jim Hargrove) writes:
>>I bought the 5.0 upgrade from Egghead. One of the questions they ask
>>is, "Do you want the IBM version or the MS-DOS version?" If you have a
>>clone, get the MS-DOS version.
>
>The question was, since from information other postings Egghead is
>selling PC-DOS 5 for $40, some $20 cheaper than MS-DOS 5:

The answer is, on another page of this very same Egghead flyer, there is an
offer for MS-DOS 5.0 for $39.99.  This makes the compatibility question moot.
If you have a clone, buy MS-DOS, if you have a Blue machine, buy PC-DOS.

>Thanks, Bob

Don

Don Wilcox                         | "Hear, O Israel, the Lord your God, the
Washington University in St. Louis |     Lord is One."
email: wilcox@cs.wustl.edu         |

henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) (06/21/91)

wilcox@wucs1.wustl.edu (Don Wilcox) wrote:
->The answer is, on another page of this very same Egghead flyer, there is an
->offer for MS-DOS 5.0 for $39.99.  This makes the compatibility question moot.
->If you have a clone, buy MS-DOS, if you have a Blue machine, buy PC-DOS.

i didn't see such a thing ... i just picked up a MS-DOS 5.0 upgrade
with 5.25" floppies and ran.  the software upgrade process asks you
what sort (brand name, not version) you are running now, and acts
accordingly.

--
# Henry Mensch / Advanced Decision Systems / <henry@ads.com>

ginsburg@cme.nist.gov (Dylan Ginsburg) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun20.141510.8844@javelin.sim.es.com> bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com (Bob Geer) writes:
   The question was, since from information other postings Egghead is
   selling PC-DOS 5 for $40, some $20 cheaper than MS-DOS 5:

        DOES PC-DOS 5 WORK ON CLONES?

   The point is, can we clone owners expect to run PC-DOS 5 on our clones
   & save the $20?  I've followed this thread as best I could & haven't
   seen anyone say specifically they were running PC-DOS 5 (the cheaper
   version) on their clone, & which clone they had.

   I would appreciate precise info...

No, Egghead is offering the $20 rebate on MS-DOS 5 (perhaps PC as well,
I don't know). And there seems to be no restrictions on whether your
computer has to be a true blue IBM.

-Dylan

victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) (06/21/91)

In article <GINSBURG.91Jun19145559@rio.cme.nist.gov> ginsburg@cme.nist.gov (Dylan Ginsburg) writes:
>In article <1991Jun19.152255.5940@e2big.mko.dec.com> timmons@atccad.enet.dec.com writes:
>>   cheaper than dealers pay for MS-DOS 5.0.  But, the ad says for IBM
>>   PC's only!  Is that true?  Has anybody actually tried installing it
>>   on a clone?
>
>I installed 5.0 on my DTK 1630 (386sx) with no problems whatsoever.

But, why should you install IBM-DOS on a clone?
Why don't just go with MS-DOS?

--
Victor Menayang         victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Internet)
                                           vm@UTXVM (BITNET)

hargrove@asc.slb.com (Jim Hargrove) (06/21/91)

B> hargrove@asc.slb.com (Jim Hargrove) writes:
>I bought the 5.0 upgrade from Egghead. One of the questions they ask
>is, "Do you want the IBM version or the MS-DOS version?" If you have a
>clone, get the MS-DOS version.

B> The question was, since from information other postings Egghead is
B> selling PC-DOS 5 for $40, some $20 cheaper than MS-DOS 5:

B> 	DOES PC-DOS 5 WORK ON CLONES?

B> The point is, can we clone owners expect to run PC-DOS 5 on our clones
B> & save the $20?  I've followed this thread as best I could & haven't
B> seen anyone say specifically they were running PC-DOS 5 (the cheaper
B> version) on their clone, & which clone they had.

B> I would appreciate precise info...

The price for MS-DOS 5.0 is $39.95 + Shipping and handling, the same
as PC-DOS. Why didn't you call EggHead and ask them?
--

        -- jwh

ralphs@seattleu.edu (06/21/91)

victor@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Victor Menayang) writes:

> But, why should you install IBM-DOS on a clone?
> Why don't just go with MS-DOS?

It may be interesting to note that the 5.0 _upgrade_ from CompuAdd
costs ~$69.00 (or is it ~$59?  Anyway...).  If you buy their MS-DOS 5.0
full-blown kit (which is a COMPLETE operating system, not just the
upgrade), it will cost $49.00.  Curiouser and curiouser...

Perhaps other vendors have a comparable arangement.

DISCALIMER (of sorts): We buy a lot of stuff from CompuAdd and have
always been satisfied.  The only connection we have is that they
get a bunch of money from us, from time to time.

nelson@desktop.nsc.com (Taed Nelson) (06/21/91)

In article <ugbzmwgpea@ads.com>, henry@ADS.COM (Henry Mensch) writes:
> i didn't see such a thing ... i just picked up a MS-DOS 5.0 upgrade
> with 5.25" floppies and ran.  the software upgrade process asks you
> what sort (brand name, not version) you are running now, and acts
> accordingly.

That's odd -- I have a JDR 386 with MS-DOS 4.1 from Phoenix, and it
  never asked me anything about my current DOS when I installed it.
  Perhaps it can detect certain types of DOS?

pfcouvares@amherst.bitnet (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun21.141856.13246@asc.slb.com>, hargrove@asc.slb.com (Jim Hargrove) writes:

>   as PC-DOS. Why didn't you call EggHead and ask them?

	I can answer this one: Because it's impossible! It took me two days
and a *few hundred* calls to Egghead just to get through.

	(when I finally did
get through, the operator told me that they're getting so many calls the phone
system can't handle it and about every fifth call has such a bad connection
they have to hang up!)

         _______
        |   |   |   PETER F. COUVARES
        |   |   |
        |   |   |       Internet: pfcouvares@amh.amherst.edu
        |---+---|
        |   |\          "...I'm the one who's got to die when it's time
        |   | \            for me to die, so let me live my life the
        |   |  \           way I want to..."
        |___|___\                               - Jimi Hendrix

--- insert standard disclaimer here ---

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (06/22/91)

In article <1991Jun20.141510.8844@javelin.sim.es.com> bgeer%javelin@dsd.es.com writes:
>hargrove@asc.slb.com (Jim Hargrove) writes:
>>I bought the 5.0 upgrade from Egghead. One of the questions they ask
>>is, "Do you want the IBM version or the MS-DOS version?" If you have a
>>clone, get the MS-DOS version.
>
>The question was, since from information other postings Egghead is
>selling PC-DOS 5 for $40, some $20 cheaper than MS-DOS 5:

Funny, I bought MS-DOS 5 from egghead for $39.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

bgeer@javelin.sim.es.com (Bob Geer) (06/24/91)

pfcouvares@amherst.bitnet writes:
>In article <1991Jun21.141856.13246@asc.slb.com>, hargrove@asc.slb.com (Jim Hargrove) writes:
>>   as PC-DOS. Why didn't you call EggHead and ask them?
>	I can answer this one: Because it's impossible! It took me two days
>and a *few hundred* calls to Egghead just to get through.

I succeeded getting thru to Egghead Saturday afternoon while Star
Trek:TNG was being broadcast locally.  Hmmmm....;-)