[comp.os.msdos.misc] Dos under unix

u8902741@cs.uow.edu.au (Kiddie) (06/10/91)

Can anyone tell me how i can run a dos program under unix. I cant see why
it should be so hard. If i run, say minix, even if one has to take all
instructions and emulate them, it should still be possible. does anyone
know of a way to do this ?
Thanks.
--
 _--_|\      Kevin Withnall   3:712/206.0>Fidonet
/      \     u8902741@wyvern.cs.uow.edu.au

paulo@ohmeda.com (Paul Ourada) (06/12/91)

u8902741@cs.uow.edu.au (Kiddie) writes:

>Can anyone tell me how i can run a dos program under unix. I cant see why
>it should be so hard. If i run, say minix, even if one has to take all
>instructions and emulate them, it should still be possible. does anyone
>know of a way to do this ?
>Thanks.
>--
> _--_|\      Kevin Withnall   3:712/206.0>Fidonet
>/      \     u8902741@wyvern.cs.uow.edu.au
>\_.--._/     Wollongong University Australia
>      v      Lassie was a scrap dog.

Kevin -

If you're talking about Xenix or Sys V/386, the program of choice is VPIX,
but I can't remember the vendor's name.  I got it at home and will try to
re-post.  If you are using SunOs or HP/Ux, contact the manuf for their
DOS clones.

paulo.

andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner) (06/14/91)

[]

	"Can anyone tell me how i can run a dos program under unix. I
	cant see why it should be so hard."

There are lots of problems beyond just emulating '86 instructions.  For
example, most interesting DOS applications know where the video screen
buffer is, and manipulate it directly.

Several vendors have put a lot of resources into addressing this
problem.  The one with which I have some experience is Insignia, whose
"Soft PC" product seems to do an adequate job.

  -=- Andrew Klossner  (andrew@frip.wv.tek.com)
                       (uunet!tektronix!frip.WV.TEK!andrew)

mike@idca.tds.philips.nl (Mike Corrall) (06/17/91)

It depends on which flavour of Un*x you are using. Interactive and another
company (I forget who) have produced VP/ix, which works with AT&T Un*x as
well as Interactive. We use it here and it seems OK to me. (We also supply
it; I'm not quite without bias.)

--
Opinion of:  Mike Corrall  Voxnet: +31 55 43 2579  Faxnet: +31 55 43 2070
UUCP: ..!mcsun!philapd!mike Internet: mike@idca.tds.philips.nl [130.144.155.80]

av@kielo.uta.fi (Arto V. Viitanen) (06/27/91)

Paul> u8902741@cs.uow.edu.au (Kiddie) writes:

>Can anyone tell me how i can run a dos program under unix.

Paul> If you're talking about Xenix or Sys V/386, the program of choice is VPIX,
Paul> If you are using SunOs or HP/Ux, contact the manuf for their
Paul> DOS clones.

You could also check SoftPC (made by someone). It is PC emulator for MACs,
SPARCs, etc. At least MAC version emulates AT with EGA, 640 k of normal and
sevaral Ms of EMS memory and MS-DOS 3.3

--
Arto V. Viitanen				         email: av@kielo.uta.fi
University Of Tampere,				   	    av@ohdake.cs.uta.fi