[comp.os.msdos.misc] MS DOS 5.0 Install procedure

sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) (06/13/91)

  What does the setup procedure (install) for msdos 5.0 do precisely
that makes it different from the old way of format, sys, and copying
the dos files. Does it write to the install disk also ?

yev_g@athena.mit.edu (Yevgeny Gurevich) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun13.062855.16838@beach.csulb.edu> sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:

>  What does the setup procedure (install) for msdos 5.0 do precisely
>that makes it different from the old way of format, sys, and copying
>the dos files. Does it write to the install disk also ?

Unlike previous install disks, none of the disks that come with DOS 5.0 are
bootable.  This makes it easy for MSoft to demand that DOS be already
installed - if you didn't have DOS already, you wouldn't be able to use the
disks.  The disks are write-protected and the install program uncompresses
the DOS files onto your disk using the expand.exe program first encountered
in Windows 3.0.

You will need to have at least one disk for the uninstall data that DOS 5.0
requires that you make (I used a 1.2 meg 5.25").  IMPORTANT - this disk
(uninstall) MUST be in A:  The install program will NOT let you change source
drives as installs in Win 3 did, for instance.  What is interesting is that
my install disks wwere in B: since I bought 3.5" media and can't switch
my A and B drives (CMOS setup doesn't affect them for some reason and my
only recourse is ASSIGN).  DOS installed fine from B even though the booklet
suggested that everything must be in A.  Go figure.

I experimented some more with Himem + EMM386.EXE combination and determined
that the DOS 5.0 + QEMM is much better for memory management.  I get the max
ram and still have the full use of Extended AND Expanded memory.  I save
about 11K using QEMM.

						Still DOSSING away,
							Yev
[===============================================================]
[ Yevgeny Gurevich         ___/~\____/~\_/~~~~\__/~\______/~\_  ]
[ 500 Memorial Drive      |____/~\__/~\__/~\______/~\____/~\__| ]
[ Cambridge, Mass. 02139  |_____/~\/~\___/~~~\_____/~\__/~\___| ]
[ ________________________|______/~~\____/~\________/~\/~\____| ]
[ yev_g@athena.mit.edu    |______/~~\____/~~~~\______/~~\_____| ]
[===============================================================]

ins845b@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr k.l. lentin) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.132007.21277@athena.mit.edu> yev_g@athena.mit.edu (Yevgeny Gurevich) writes:
>drives as installs in Win 3 did, for instance.  What is interesting is that
>my install disks wwere in B: since I bought 3.5" media and can't switch
>my A and B drives (CMOS setup doesn't affect them for some reason and my
>only recourse is ASSIGN).  DOS installed fine from B even though the booklet
>suggested that everything must be in A.  Go figure.

The CMOS setup just tells the machine what kind of drive each is. It doesnt
say to the machine..."call the 5.25 b:" it says "b: is a 5.25"
To switch them around open your machine and swap them physically and rearrange
the cables. Only other option is assign as you have discovered.

--
-----------------------------------------+----------------------------------
|\evin (ins845b@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au)  | All reasonable offers accepted
-----------------------------------------+---------------------------------

In article <1991Jun13.062855.16838@beach.csulb.edu> sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:

|   What does the setup procedure (install) for msdos 5.0 do precisely
| that makes it different from the old way of format, sys, and copying
| the dos files. Does it write to the install disk also ?

  Makes an uninstall package so you can back out if you decide you must.
I have *never* heard of anyone trying it, however.
  GE Corp R&D Center, Information Systems Operation, tech support group
  Moderator comp.binaries.ibm.pc and 386-users digest.

tiok_sr@tac.fi (Seppo Routimo) (06/27/91)

In article <3479@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
> I have *never* heard of anyone trying it, however.
> --
	I tried, and it worked just fine. SR

kevin@math.lsa.umich.edu (Kevin Coombes) (06/28/91)

In article <3479@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1991Jun13.062855.16838@beach.csulb.edu> sichermn@beach.csulb.edu (Jeff Sicherman) writes:
>|
>|   What does the setup procedure (install) for msdos 5.0 do precisely
>| that makes it different from the old way of format, sys, and copying
>| the dos files. Does it write to the install disk also ?
>
>  Makes an uninstall package so you can back out if you decide you must.
>I have *never* heard of anyone trying it, however.
>--
>bill davidsen	(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
>  GE Corp R&D Center, Information Systems Operation, tech support group
>  Moderator comp.binaries.ibm.pc and 386-users digest.

I tried it; it works quite nicely. (One of the TSRs in my autoexec.bat
turned out to be very sensitive to where in the sequence it got loaded,
and crashed the machine when setup tried to boot. Before I could make a
bootable floppy, of course. Uninstall was *very* useful.)

Kevin