[comp.os.msdos.misc] Setdrive Utility on Dos 5.0

gottlieb@umbc5.umbc.edu (Robert Gottlieb) (06/27/91)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a fix, possibly from the author of the setdrive
utility.  I upgraded from MS-DOS 3.2 to 5.0 and it now gives
me a message that it needs version 3.2 or better.  I am using
this utility for a HD 3.5.  If anyone has any ideas, please email
them to me.  Thanks in advance.

/*  Robert Allen Gottlieb        Internet: gottlieb@umbc5.umbc.edu  */
/*                               Bitnet:   gottlieb@umbc2.umbc.edu  */
/*                                                                  */
/*                                                                  */
/*  The opinions herein are not those of UMBC, but rather those of  */
/*  my cat: Junior.                                                 */
/*                                                                  */
/*  "To seek the sacred river Alph                                  */
/*   To walk the caves of ice                                       */
/*   To break my fast on honey dew                                  */
/*   And drink the milk of Paradise..."                             */
/*                                                                  */
/*   - Neil Peart/RUSH  "Xanadu"/A Farewell To Kings                */

chanel@mensa.usc.edu (chanel summers) (06/28/91)

In article <1991Jun27.041402.8995@umbc3.umbc.edu> gottlieb@umbc5.umbc.edu (Robert Gottlieb) writes:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm looking for a fix, possibly from the author of the setdrive
>utility.  I upgraded from MS-DOS 3.2 to 5.0 and it now gives
>me a message that it needs version 3.2 or better.  I am using
>this utility for a HD 3.5.  If anyone has any ideas, please email
>them to me.  Thanks in advance.
>
>/*  Robert Allen Gottlieb        Internet: gottlieb@umbc5.umbc.edu  */
>/*                               Bitnet:   gottlieb@umbc2.umbc.edu  */

Instead of looking for a fix to setdrive, just use the "SETVER" utility that
comes with DOS 5.  You load it in CONFIG.SYS and it tells certain programs
that you're running other versions of DOS.  Full details in the manual.

Format:  SETVER [drive:path] filename n.nn

where drive:path is the optional location of SETVER, filename is the program
you want to trick and n.nn is the version you want to tell it.

Use SETVER setdrive 3.20 and you should have no problem.

Chanel

gottlieb@umbc5.umbc.edu (Robert Gottlieb) (06/28/91)

Hi again,

I have solved my problem with the use of the setver utility like
everyone has told me to.  Thanks to everyone for the info.  It
works fine now and the format command on DOS will now work with
my 3.5 drive!  Before I had to use the confmt utility.
Anyway, thanks again for all of the responses.