[comp.os.msdos.misc] Dear Bill Gates, ...

s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) (06/28/91)

Dear Bill Gates,

I am writing this open letter to you in this forum because I feel the
issue should be open to all who wish to comment.  Let's pose a hypothetical
situation:

I have just bought a 2nd hand PC.  It is a 'no-name' el cheapo, and I
got it from a bloke whose honesty I wouldn't vouch for.  It is loaded
with DOS.

Being an honest chap, I immediately reformat the disk to eliminate the
bootleg DOS, & I pop round to my local computer store to pay my cold hard cash
for a legit. copy.  No Dice.  I can get the upgrade, but that looks for an
existing DOS & refuses to install.  The bloke at the store tells me that
YOU Mr Gates forbid him from selling me a bona fide full copy of DOS.
YOU won't sell it to me either.

I have two options:
(a) Chuck away my computer.
(b) Pirate a DOS from somewhere.

Which do you suggest?

--
Regards,

Ron House.   (s64421@zeus.usq.edu.au)
(By post: Info Tech, U.C.S.Q. Toowoomba. Australia. 4350)

bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) (06/30/91)

s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) <s64421.678111933@zeus> :

| I have just bought a 2nd hand PC.  It is a 'no-name' el cheapo, and I
| got it from a bloke whose honesty I wouldn't vouch for.  It is loaded
| with DOS.

Another common scenario:  I purchase a case, a power supply, a motherboard,
a disk controller, a disk (...a display card, a monitor, a keyboard...).

How is this machine ever to get an initial legal copy of MS-DOS on it?

draper@buster.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J Draper) (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun29.121501.12819@news.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
>Another common scenario:  I purchase a case, a power supply, a motherboard,
>a disk controller, a disk (...a display card, a monitor, a keyboard...).
>
>How is this machine ever to get an initial legal copy of MS-DOS on it?

I had the same problem. My solution was to scan the Computer Shopper
until I found some place in Washington that sold it to me. They had it
listed in a teeny tiny ad in the back for $85. I suspected that it was a
bootleg copy sold without Microsoft's permission, but hey - I did my
best to get a legit copy of DOS.

Patrick Draper     "College is supposed to prepare you for the future,
cps.msu.edu               but all my future's behind me."
draper@cps.msu.edu      -- My GrandPa, age 85, Fall 1990 graduate
                           of Western Michigan University

gtoal@tardis.computer-science.edinburgh.ac.uk (06/30/91)

In article <1991Jun29.121501.12819@news.cs.indiana.edu> bobmon@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante) writes:
:s64421@zeus.usq.EDU.AU (house ron) <s64421.678111933@zeus> :
:|
:
:Another common scenario:  I purchase a case, a power supply, a motherboard,
:a disk controller, a disk (...a display card, a monitor, a keyboard...).
:
:How is this machine ever to get an initial legal copy of MS-DOS on it?

Easy - don't buy Microsoft.  Try Digital Research instead.