[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Installed Mb SIP prevents booting

ops@ayov27.enet.dec.com (Joseph Early) (06/27/90)

I have just installed a 1Mb SIP in the motherboard of my 386sx clone and
now the machine won't boot. It is a Korean made motherboard with a AMI
386 BIOS and Chips and Technologies support chips. It had 4 256kb SIPs
already in banks 0 and 1. I installed the 1Mb SIP, went into the set-up
program and told it had 1Mb in bank two. Now on power-up the video
diagnostics come-up then (sometimes) the memory check counts to a 1 meg
before freezing.

I think I needed to install SIPs in pairs but what do I do until I get
another or should I? Can I short the battery with a large resistor to
clear the CMOS set-up RAM?

Joseph Early - Put my name in subject of mail. Support the short .sig campaign.
...!unido!decum!ayov27.dnet!ops 		...!ukc!wessex!ayov27.enet!ops
			 ops@ayov18.enet.dec.com

mjlst3@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Mikes Magik Shoppe) (06/28/90)

In article <215@uninet.vbo.dec.com> ops@ayov27.enet.dec.com (Joseph Early) writes:

>I have just installed a 1Mb SIP in the motherboard of my 386sx clone and
>I think I needed to install SIPs in pairs but what do I do until I get
>another or should I? Can I short the battery with a large resistor to
>clear the CMOS set-up RAM?

Yes, in all of the varieties of motherboards I have seen, sipp/simm upgrades
are done in pairs with one pair for each bank.

In most of the varieties I have seen, there is a key combination that
you can hit that will clear the cmos.  On the other hand, mismatching
cmos information doesn't usually cause the computer to hang during power up,
it usually generates an error message.

In conclusion remove the sipp and power up again.  If it doesn't boot, check
the manual for the key to hit to reset the cmos info.

--
Michael J. LeWinter			/* Standard disclaimers apply */
mjlst3@unix.cis.pitt.edu                /* Look ma, no signature      */