[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] LCompatible VGA card ?

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (06/26/90)

In article <2309@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Olivier Barthelemy) writes:
> I don't know if regular cards will offer this feature, or if I have to buy
> a specific one. I saw in Computer Shopper an ad for a PLATINUM card that
> is cheap ($130) and does support for old monitors. Anyone knows anything about it ?

You are probably referring to the Logos brand Platinum VGA card. I have one
and it seems to be pretty good. The people at Logos are a bunch of
id*ots that like to waste a lot of your long distance money (no toll
free line). I got transfered, placed on hold, and had my time wasted
only to tell me that they did not have Windows 3.0 drivers yet, and
suggested that I get their Tseng Labs (1 MB) card with Windows 3.0
drivers. They claimed that they write their own drivers (no indication
of that as the documentation, except for the cover, obviously
comes from Trident as do the drivers). They couldn't even estimate
when they would have the drivers or give me a phone number or address
that I could reach Trident.

Decent card, lousy company... Any nice comments out there?

							Ron
+ Ronald S. Woan                                     woan@peyote.cactus.org +
+ If nothing else works                              woan@soda.berkeley.edu +

iwong (Ian Wong) (06/28/90)

In article <2309@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Olivier Barthelemy) writes:
>Hi NetWorld.
>
>I am looking for a VGA or better graphics card that will let me use
>CGA and/or Hercules MONITORS. I does of course also have to offer Hercules
>and CGA modes.
>
>I don't know if regular cards will offer this feature, or if I have to buy
>a specific one. I saw in Computer Shopper an ad for a PLATINUM card that
>is cheap ($130) and does support for old monitors. Anyone knows anything about it ?
>
>Thanks for your advice
>
>Olivier Barthelemy		barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu

You might want to try the ATI VGA Wonder card.  This card supports virtually
any monitor in the market with resolutions upto and including 1024 X 768.

The VGA Wonder comes in two flavours:  VGA Wonder 256 (w/256K video ram)
				       VGA Wonder 512 (w/512K video ram)

A mouse is also optional since the card features a mouse port built in.
The VGA Wonder 256 is user upgradable to the VGA Wonder 512 equivalent.

This is a rather fast, inexpensive, and flexible card.  Definitely worth the
money.  I've been using ATI video cards since day one of my PC days and still
have not had a single hardware or software compatibility problem.

Hope this helps.

Ian.
...!van-bc!mdivax1!iwong

jshekhel@feds19.prime.com (Jerry Shekhel ) (06/28/90)

>In article <2309@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, barthe@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu writes:
> I don't know if regular cards will offer this feature, or if I have to buy
> a specific one. I saw in Computer Shopper an ad for a PLATINUM card that
> is cheap ($130) and does support for old monitors. Anyone knows anything about it ?

Yep, this is the Logos Platinum VGA card.  I picked up one of these "gems"
for $92 w/256K.  My comments:

1.  Even though the card was DIP-switched into EGA mode, IBM OS/2 found a
    way to reset it to VGA/Analog mode.  I couldn't use my OS/2 system until I
    got a VGA monitor.

2.  The EGA emulation was flaky in general; Norton utilities would cause the
    display to pick up a weird blue border with alarmingly bright edges.

3.  When I finally got it to work with a VGA display, I discovered a problem
    which made me throw out the card.  A little while (5-10 minutes) after
    I would power up my system, text-mode characters would start flickering.
    After about 15 minutes, the text display would be so messed up that I
    couldn't look at it, with black, vertical, flickering lines all over the
    place.

I wouldn't trust another Trident card.  I just got an ATI card which works
perfectly.  Sure, I spent more for it, but it's worth it.

-- JJS

silver@xrtll.uucp (Hi Ho Silver) (06/29/90)

   According to their manual, ATI's VGA Wonder supports:

EGA, CGA, MDA, HGC on an EGA monitor
EGA, CGA, MDA, HGC on a TTL monochrome monitor
EGA, CGA, MDA, HGC on an RGB monitor
VGA, EGA, CGA, MDA, HGC, and ATI enhanced modes on VGA and Multisync
	monitors

   It goes up to 800x600x256 and 1024x768x16 if you have 512K of RAM on
it.

   I'm sure there are other cards that also support mix&match of monitor
types and display modes; this just happens to be the card I have in my
machine (and it's a Canadian company)
--
   /Nikebo \ Nikebo says "Nikebo knows how to post.  Just do it."\silver@xrtll/
  /---------\_____________________________________________________\----------/

jim@ghp.UUCP (Jim Stewart) (06/30/90)

Ian Wong writes:

>You might want to try the ATI VGA Wonder card...
>This is a rather fast, inexpensive, and flexible card.  Definitely worth the
>money.

Excellent card, you say worth the money, but I bought mine here in Toronto
for $175 CDN--that's the same price as Olivier was going to spend.
It is fully register compatible for all old adapters too.
--
Jim Stewart, VE3SRJ
UUCP:  jim%ghp@mnetor.uucp