[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] large hard disk

ydist@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Yijun Ding) (07/02/90)

We are purchasing an Everex 386/25 machine with a 676 MB Micropolus hard
disk. This will have an Esti interface.  We have a problem with formatting it
with MS-DOS 4.01.  Dos is only recognizing a maximum of 512 M. Does anyone know
how to solve this problem?

It was suggested that we switch to UNIX, but we have 4 other machines running
in DOS, plus various specialized applications.

slab@psych.Stanford.EDU (Stephen LaBerge) (07/04/90)

Compaq DOS 3.31 has a special version of format (or fdisk?)
that allows hard disk capacities in excess of DOS 512M limit.

cjp@beartrk.beartrack.com (CJ Pilzer) (07/04/90)

In article <25560@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, ydist@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Yijun Ding) writes:
> We are purchasing [deleted] machine with a 676 MB Micropolus hard disk.
> Dos is only recognizing a maximum of 512 M. Does anyone know how to solve
> this problem?

DOS can only accept a maximum of 1024 cylinders on a disk.  If you have
more then that would explain your problem.  The solution is to get a disk
controller which does TRANSLATION.  This controller will make DOS believe
that your disk has less cylinderss and more sectors per track.  This
translation is transparent to DOS and will require only the proper low
level formating of the disk.

-- cj