[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Super VGA cards......

wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (06/29/90)

Does anybody know if the Logos Plantinum VGA16 is the same super
VGA card as the Logix VGA1000?  If the cards are the same, are the
BIOSes different.  Do either (both?) support 1024x768 in NON-interlaced
modes?

Does anybody have a better recommendation for a super VGA card that can
handle NON-interlaced 1024x768x16 colors?  (Or even better yet
1024x768x256 colors!)

-Thanks in advance
Dean Wallwey

*-Dean Wallwey   wallwey@snoopy.colorado.edu  or  wallwey@128.138.238.103    *
*"If people drove cars like they run computers, 5% of the driving populating *
*would die every business day in automobile accidents!"                      *
* #define DISCLAIMER \                                                       *
* The above comments are my own and not necessarly that of my employer or\   *
* school.    grammer, spelling errors, real heavy flames > NULL              *

chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) (06/30/90)

In article <22887@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wallwey@snoopy.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:
>Does anybody have a better recommendation for a super VGA card that can
>handle NON-interlaced 1024x768x16 colors?  (Or even better yet
>1024x768x256 colors!)

  Try the Orchid Pro-Designer w/512K.  1024x768x256 non-interlaced.
  DEFINITELY try it with a Soncy CPD-1304 non-interlaced 14" VGA!!!

petrilli@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Chris Petrilli) (07/03/90)

In article <1990Jun30.013423.1275@chinet.chi.il.us> chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) writes:
>>Does anybody have a better recommendation for a super VGA card that can
>>handle NON-interlaced 1024x768x16 colors?  (Or even better yet
>>1024x768x256 colors!)
>
>  Try the Orchid Pro-Designer w/512K.  1024x768x256 non-interlaced.
>  DEFINITELY try it with a Soncy CPD-1304 non-interlaced 14" VGA!!!

Watch that... you need 1M of video RAM to do 1024x768x256.  512K will only
get you 16 colors.  There is a difference.  The Orchid is an excellent card
however, but if you HAVE to have that resolution, I assume it's for CAD
or something along that line.  In that case, something from Number Nine, or
Artist would fit it better.
+ Chris Petrilli                                    "Opinons represented here
| University of Texas at Austin                      do not necessarily
| INTERNET:  petrilli@vondrake.cc.utexas.edu         represent those of a sane
| SNAILMAIL: 429 Brady Lane, Austin, Texas, 78746    person.  Take them as
+ PHONE:     +1 512 327 0986                         simply that."

Rick.Holzer@FtCollins.NCR.com (Rick.Holzer) (07/03/90)

Chris> Posted: Mon Jul  2 19:48:27 1990

Chris> In article <1990Jun30.013423.1275@chinet.chi.il.us> chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) writes:
>>Does anybody have a better recommendation for a super VGA card that can
>>handle NON-interlaced 1024x768x16 colors?  (Or even better yet
>>1024x768x256 colors!)
>
>  Try the Orchid Pro-Designer w/512K.  1024x768x256 non-interlaced.
>  DEFINITELY try it with a Soncy CPD-1304 non-interlaced 14" VGA!!!

Chris> Watch that... you need 1M of video RAM to do 1024x768x256.  512K will only
Chris> get you 16 colors.  There is a difference.  The Orchid is an excellent card
Chris> however, but if you HAVE to have that resolution, I assume it's for CAD
Chris> or something along that line.  In that case, something from Number Nine, or
Chris> Artist would fit it better.

I am very close to buying a Sony CPD-1304 and a Trident 8916 2/8 16-bit
VGA board with 1MB video Ram.  The card, according to my dealer and PC
World (May 1990, pgs 176,177), is supposed to handle 1024x768x256.

Will this card support non-interlaced graphics at this resolution?

Is this combination as good as it seems?

Thanks,

Rick Holzer              "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!!!!!"
NCR Microelectronics Products Division
2001 Danfield Ct.                        Rick.Holzer@FtCollins.NCR.COM
Fort Collins, CO 80525                   (303) 226-9600 X341

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (07/03/90)

In article <1990Jun30.013423.1275@chinet.chi.il.us>,
chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) writes:
chaz>   Try the Orchid Pro-Designer w/512K.  1024x768x256 non-interlaced.
chaz>   DEFINITELY try it with a Soncy CPD-1304 non-interlaced 14" VGA!!!

You'll need 1MB of RAM on the card to do 1024x768 in 256 colors with
any of the Tseng labs or Trident 8900 based cards.

                                                Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort              woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan@soda.berkeley.edu +

albertw@yoda.chips.com (albertw) (07/03/90)

In article <1990Jun30.013423.1275@chinet.chi.il.us> chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) writes:

>  Try the Orchid Pro-Designer w/512K.  1024x768x256 non-interlaced.
>  DEFINITELY try it with a Soncy CPD-1304 non-interlaced 14" VGA!!!

I think that particular card is the new Prodesigner II with 1Meg of ram.  I
have the original Prodesigner with 512K.  The highest res is 1024x768x16.  Just
thought you'd like to know. (grin)

coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) (07/04/90)

In article <1990Jun30.013423.1275@chinet.chi.il.us>, chaz@chinet.chi.il.us (Charlie Kestner) writes:
>   Try the Orchid Pro-Designer w/512K.  1024x768x256 non-interlaced.
>   DEFINITELY try it with a Soncy CPD-1304 non-interlaced 14" VGA!!!

Ummm, how does Orchid fit 768k of data into 512k of RAM?  :-)  I
think you'll find that the Pro-Designer's max resolutions are
800x600x256 and 1024x768x16.

Stephen Coy
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!coy

Duel@cup.portal.com (Omid M Farr) (07/05/90)

I'm looking for a SVGA card for a new 386 system.. I've looked at the Video
Seven VRAM, but I've heard it has a few flaws including non-compatibility
with some software. I wasn't too concerned with the price since I've heard
its among one of the fastest, but not that I've heard incompatibility I
am starting to move away from it.. Is the Orchid ProDesigner II completely
compatible?? How fast does it rate.. compared to your average VGA card and
the Video-7 VRAM.. The price is about $100 less than the V-7 and with 1meg
installed offers more colors, so it sounds like something to look into..
Also if anyone knows of other 1024*768*256 (preferably 256) SVGA with a
competitive speed rating, I'd appreciate the info..
Also, where can I obtain information on the bus speed for svga cards? (Is
that even important?) I'm looking for anything from 12-14 MHz, the faster
the better.

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (07/06/90)

In article <31413@cup.portal.com> Duel@cup.portal.com (Omid M Farr) writes:
>I'm looking for a SVGA card for a new 386 system.. I've looked at the Video
>Seven VRAM, but I've heard it has a few flaws including non-compatibility
>with some software.

I have been using a VRAM VGA for well over a year now, and I have only had
one program not work correctly with the default settings of the board.  This
was the (excellent) Bananoid game, and it only required the card to be set
into 'pure' mode for it to work.  Other than this one case, all 7 boards I
know of (mine, three friends, three at work) worked right out of the box.
You also can't beat the upgrade policy either.

Just a satisfied customer!

Bill
--
Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil

sv@hsv3.UUCP (Steve Verity) (07/06/90)

In article <31413@cup.portal.com> Duel@cup.portal.com (Omid M Farr) writes:
>I'm looking for a SVGA card for a new 386 system.. I've looked at the Video
>Seven VRAM, but I've heard it has a few flaws including non-compatibility

I think you will find the VRAM one of the best and most compatable
boards out there.  Also note that High res Windows 3.0 drivers for
this board are "in the box", that is, shipped with MS windows.

If you know of any speific software that has a problem on the VRAM,
lets hear it, otherwise lets not talk about vague "flaws"...

disclaimer: NOT an official spokesman, all views my own, etc.

--
Steve Verity   sv@v7fs1         +   +             ...Maxed on MIDI        + .