[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Answering machine

caret@softway.sw.oz.au (Neil Russell) (07/13/90)

Has anyone heard of a PC based answering machine thingy called
'The Complete Answering Machine'?  It plugs into a PC, and is akin
to those voice messaging services a lot of companies seem to use,
with lots of voice mail boxes.  If the answer to that is yes, then
has anyone used one, or something similar?  If so can you post/mail
your experiences.

Thanks,
--
Neil Russell - Softway Pty Ltd	(caret@softway.oz)

PHONE:	+61-2-698-2322		UUCP:		uunet!softway.oz!caret
FAX:	+61-2-699-9174		INTERNET:	caret@softway.oz.au

jpd@pc.usl.edu (Dugal James P.) (07/13/90)

In article <3223@softway.sw.oz.au> caret@softway.sw.oz.au (Neil Russell) writes:
>Has anyone heard of a PC based answering machine thingy called
>'The Complete Answering Machine'?  It plugs into a PC, and is akin

We use a couple of them on campus.  We acquired them several years ago, and
while they work fairly well, there are some limitations.
1. They attach to just one phone line.  So incoming calls must contend with
each other, as well as the users querying the machine for their messages.
It's possible to have several boards share a fast-enough PC (like an AT).

2. The caller interface is not very site-programmable.  The first greeting,
and the individual mailbox greetings, are changeable.  Not much else!

3. We have seen a bug which we reported, but have not received corrective
firmware.  The problem is when a caller switches to a user's mailbox from
the general mailbox, and then hangs up.  The next caller may receive the
greeting message of the previously-selected user rather than the general
greeting.

4. We use a Zenith PC/XT with a TOPS flashcard in it also, as well as a screen
blanker.  Sometimes the answering machine board locks up, necessitating
a reboot.  So do consider if you want to share the answering machine PC.

If you want to call our machine, send me private mail.

--
-- James Dugal,	N5KNX		Internet: jpd@usl.edu
Associate Director		Ham packet: n5knx@k5arh