[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] KILLER PROBLEM from HELL... *PLEASE* help!!

JCR108@psuvm.psu.edu (07/05/90)

Hi all, I've got quite a problem here, and I hope you can help.  I have an
Epson Equity II+ with a 20 meg hard drive, and 2 floppies.  What has happened
is this:  I was attempting to install 4DOS on my system.  I put all the 4DOS
files in a separate directory (\4DOS), then added the SHELL=c:\4dos\4dos.com
to my config.sys.  I rebooted the system to try it out.  Since the 4dos286
file was not in the home directory, 4dos.com locked up the system and said
to reboot the system.  Normally getting out of this would be no problem,
however, I had installed the PC-Lock Protection System Version 1.2f from
Johnson Computer Systems a few months back.  This protection system will
not allow any access to the hard disk EXCEPT by booting from the hard disk.
Now here is where my problem comes from.  I can't access the hard disk to
change the configuration, since I can't get to it by booting from a floppy,
and the hard drive dies on me in config.sys because of 4DOS.com.
I can think of a few possible solutions:

* is there any possible way to stop the config.sys file from being run?
  ctrl-break obviously does not work.

* is there any way to override the protection system, and allow dos booted
  from a disk recognize that there is a c: drive on my system?  perhaps
  an assembler routine?

     Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
                                               John

mead0rs@cbnewse.att.com (gorman.w.meadors) (07/05/90)

PC lock has an override file to use to temporarily unlock the machine.
This has allowed us to fix our machine here at work. Otherwise if you
are very careful, it appears that PC lock only cripples the partition
table. You should have a partition editor and be very knowledgable
before attempting to fix the problem this way, though. Hope this helps,
good luck.

alanf@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Alan Grant Finlay) (07/05/90)

In article <90185.162114JCR108@psuvm.psu.edu>, JCR108@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> Hi all, I've got quite a problem here, and I hope you can help.  I have an
> Epson Equity II+ with a 20 meg hard drive, and 2 floppies.  What has happened
> is this:  I was attempting to install 4DOS on my system.  I put all the 4DOS
> files in a separate directory (\4DOS), then added the SHELL=c:\4dos\4dos.com
> to my config.sys.  I rebooted the system to try it out.  Since the 4dos286
> file was not in the home directory, 4dos.com locked up the system and said
> to reboot the system.  Normally getting out of this would be no problem,
> however, I had installed the PC-Lock Protection System Version 1.2f from
> Johnson Computer Systems a few months back.  This protection system will
> not allow any access to the hard disk EXCEPT by booting from the hard disk.

I suggest you get in touch with Johnson Computer Systems.  If they do not have
a solution then I suggest they change their name to Stuffed Computer Systems.
On the other hand it seems to me that if this protection system is purely
software and you can boot from a floppy then it must be playing around with
the battery backed up system parameter memory used on AT+ machines.  If that's
the case you should be able to use the "boot while holding insert key domn"
method to reset the parameters.  Actually I'm not sure if its the "insert"
key as I have an XT and have never done it (maybe its the "delete key).

If anyone can see how such protection could work on an XT (purely software
without stopping boots from floppy drive A) I would like to know how?

To do this kind of thing properly would require a custom disk controller (ROM)
and if that is the case you just have to change back to a standard controller.
At least if you don't care about recovering whats on the hard disk.

jmd21132@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jackle) (07/05/90)

   I just started to explore the C language, and there is one question I can't
find an answer to.  I would like to create some graphics on IBM PC in either
VGA or MCGA modes, but unfortunately I'm missing *.BGI drivers.  Can someone,
please, tell me what they are, what they do, and how do I use them?  Also,
are they included in graphics.lib, or should I look for them some place else?
Thanx in advance, J.

"Arnold G. Gill" <GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (07/06/90)

     I guess this lock-out thing is software, eh?  Then the solution may be as
simple as opening up your computer, disconnecting your harddrive (just pull
the power plug out), and then booting from a floppy.  Once that is donw,
reconnect your harddisk and erase to your heart's content.  The only
difficulty that I can see is that it might not be a good idea to plug in the
harddrive while the power is running - but I can't think of a way around that.
-------
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|  Arnold Gill                        |                                     |
|  Queen's University at Kingston     |     If I hadn't wanted it heard,    |
|  BITNET   : gilla@qucdn             |       I wouldn't have said it.      |
|  X-400    : Arnold.Gill@QueensU.CA  |                                     |
|  INTERNET : gilla@qucdn.queensu.ca  |                                     |
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

thorh@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Thor Hallen) (07/06/90)

In article <2606@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU>, alanf@bruce.cs.monash.OZ.AU (Alan Grant Finlay) writes:
> In article <90185.162114JCR108@psuvm.psu.edu>, JCR108@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

> > .......  I rebooted the system to try it out.  Since the 4dos286
> > file was not in the home directory, 4dos.com locked up the system and said
> > to reboot the system.  Normally getting out of this would be no problem,
> > however, I had installed the PC-Lock Protection System Version 1.2f from
> > Johnson Computer Systems a few months back.  This protection system will
> > not allow any access to the hard disk EXCEPT by booting from the hard disk.
>
> I suggest you get in touch with Johnson Computer Systems.  If they do not have
> a solution then I suggest they change their name to Stuffed Computer Systems.

	They can be reached at:

	Johnson Computer Systems, Inc.
	20 Dinwiddie Place
	Newport News, VA 23602
	(804) 872-9583

> On the other hand it seems to me that if this protection system is purely
> software and you can boot from a floppy then it must be playing around with
> the battery backed up system parameter memory used on AT+ machines.

	I am fairly certain that they modify the hard disk to make it
inaccessable until their special driver is loaded by reference in the
config.sys file. It should be possible to restore the the hard disk to
a standard configuration with one of these hard disk recovery utilities:

	- Mace Utilities / Emergency Room
	- Norton Utilities Advanced / Norton Disk Doctor
	- PC Tools Version 6 / Diskfix

	The current version of PC-Lock is renamed PC-Vault and comes
with an option to make the hard disk accessable after booting from a
floppy (You still need to know the password).

					Thor Hallen
					Tektronix, Inc.

poffen@sj.ate.slb.com (Russ Poffenberger) (07/06/90)

In article <90186.181632GILLA@QUCDN.BITNET> GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) writes:

>     I guess this lock-out thing is software, eh?  Then the solution may be as
>simple as opening up your computer, disconnecting your harddrive (just pull
>the power plug out), and then booting from a floppy.  Once that is donw,
>reconnect your harddisk and erase to your heart's content.  The only
>difficulty that I can see is that it might not be a good idea to plug in the
>harddrive while the power is running - but I can't think of a way around that.

If the hard disk isn't up and running when DOS boots, then that drive will be
unrecognized and you still wont't have access to it.

1601 Technology Drive		CIS:	72401,276
San Jose, Ca. 95110             (408)437-5254

albertw@yoda.chips.com (albertw) (07/06/90)

Well, I've tried PC-Lock on my hard disk a while ago.  Evidently, the
PC-Locks protection scheme is based on modifying the partition table of the
hard disk so that DOS doesn't recognize it.

Two things to try....

PC-Lock has a utility to remove the protection.

Use norton Utility to change the partition back to normal.

tomc@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Thomas S Clark) (07/07/90)

In article <90186.181632GILLA@QUCDN.BITNET> GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) writes:

>     I guess this lock-out thing is software, eh?  Then the solution may be as
>simple as opening up your computer, disconnecting your harddrive (just pull
>the power plug out), and then booting from a floppy.  Once that is donw,
>reconnect your harddisk and erase to your heart's content.  The only
>difficulty that I can see is that it might not be a good idea to plug in the
>harddrive while the power is running - but I can't think of a way around that.
>-------

Just put the DOS Floppy into the system and reboot the system. The BIOS will
look at the floppy for a bootable floppy before it looks at the harddisk.
If it finds one it will boot off of that. You can then modify your harddisk.

Thomas Clark                           |   Once a person learns to use a
Tektronix Inc.                         |   hammer well everything begins
(206)-253-5672                         |   to look like a nail.
tomc@tekigm2.men.tek.com               |                         Anon(?)

emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) (07/09/90)

+ +
+
+ If the hard disk isn't up and running when DOS boots, then that drive will be
+ unrecognized and you still wont't have access to it.
+

Quite true, besides, it's not a good idea to plug/unplug a HDD while the
machine is up, otherwise you'd only need to drop in a similar drive while
you boot, then swap, and run Norton or similar.

You shouldn't be talking to us, you should be talking to the people
who protected it for you - seems to me they did a good job, I'd be
disappointed if they hadn't.

Dave E.

bank@lea.ncsu.edu (Dave The DM) (07/10/90)

In article <90186.181632GILLA@QUCDN.BITNET> GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) writes:

>     I guess this lock-out thing is software, eh?  Then the solution may be as
>simple as opening up your computer, disconnecting your harddrive (just pull
>the power plug out), and then booting from a floppy.  Once that is donw,
>reconnect your harddisk and erase to your heart's content.  The only
>difficulty that I can see is that it might not be a good idea to plug in the
>harddrive while the power is running - but I can't think of a way around that.
>-------
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>|  Arnold Gill                        |                                     |
>|  Queen's University at Kingston     |     If I hadn't wanted it heard,    |
>|  BITNET   : gilla@qucdn             |       I wouldn't have said it.      |
>|  X-400    : Arnold.Gill@QueensU.CA  |                                     |
>|  INTERNET : gilla@qucdn.queensu.ca  |                                     |
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

   Oh, good lord.

   To say the least, this will NOT work.

   If the hard drive is not up and active when the machine boots,
DOS will not recognize it. Period. Even if you re-connect it after
you boot. DOS looks, at bootup, for attached devices and only those
it finds in correct operating order will it acknowledge.

   Next, you're running a fair chance (not guaranteed, but not
miniscule) of blowing something in the hard drive or controller
by pulling a stunt like this. If you hate your computer this much,
just shoot it and put it out of its misery.

   The idea is a horribly crude way to approach the problem, similar
to using an axe for an appendectomy.

                                     Dave the DM

DISCLAIMER: The above message constitutes an honest attempt by the
            author to impart information he knows, or reasonably
            knows, to be true. All other interpretations are in
            error.

marcus@intermec.UUCP (Marcus Albro) (07/10/90)

In article <693@marvin.moncam.co.uk> emmo@moncam.co.uk (Dave Emmerson) writes:
>+ In article <90186.181632GILLA@QUCDN.BITNET+ GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) writes:
>+ +
>+ +     I guess this lock-out thing is software, eh?  Then the solution may be as
>+ +simple as opening up your computer, disconnecting your harddrive (just pull
>+ +the power plug out), and then booting from a floppy.  Once that is donw,
>+ +reconnect your harddisk and erase to your heart's content.  The only
>+ +difficulty that I can see is that it might not be a good idea to plug in the
>+ +harddrive while the power is running - but I can't think of a way around that.
>+
I have had this happe a couple of times to people I have tried to help over the
phone.  The problem boils down to having copied a new version of the file
'COMMAND.COM' over the original on the disk.  Since the operating system
requires that the COMMAND.COM version match that of the two hidden files in th
root drive, the system will no longer boot.  I never copy a floppy to the root
directory of C: anymore.  If the floppy has a copy of COMMAND.COM and the
command COPY A:*.* is used, then the COMMAND.COM on the hard disk is replaced.

To fix:
1) Find your original copy of COMMAND.COM and copy it back onto the C: drive
   root directory. (You will have to boot to A: first).

2) Reinstall your operating system from scratch.

Hope this helps you.  There are other methods to fix using Norton, but become
too involved for this media.

Marcus Albro.

Marcus Albro   email: marcus@intermec.com  or uunet!pilchuck!intermec!marcus
Intermec Corporation          PO Box 4280          Everett, Wash. 98203-9280

bg11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Brian E. Gallew) (07/13/90)

Actually, most software-based hard disk protection systems modify the
boot sector and the hard disk partition tables at the very least.  I
have even seen one that did a simple shift encryption on *EVERYTHING*,
but I didn't trust it.
Any hard disk is a candidate for disk locking via software, whether XT,
AT, or other.