[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] A few questions

michael@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Michael Elkins) (07/18/90)

1. Upgrading memory
	When upgrading memory (not beyond motherboard capacity), does it matter
if you don't buy the memory from the manufacturer of the computer?  Is
adding memory easy enough for me to do myself, or should it be done by the
firm I buy the memory from?

2. Adding a second hard drive
	The computer has a 40 MB drive, but I want to add more.  If I buy
another 40 MB drive, will I have to get another controller, or should the one
I have be able to handle both drives?

Thanks

					--me

--
 Michael R.G. Elkins  |  Platt Campus Center  |  michael@jarthur.claremont.edu
                      |  Harvey Mudd College  |  uunet!jarthur!michael
                      |  Claremont, CA 91711  |

dhiman@motcid.UUCP (Ravinder Dhiman) (07/18/90)

michael@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Michael Elkins) writes:

>1. Upgrading memory
>	When upgrading memory (not beyond motherboard capacity), does it matter
>if you don't buy the memory from the manufacturer of the computer?  Is
>adding memory easy enough for me to do myself, or should it be done by the
>firm I buy the memory from?

No, you don't have to buy your memory from the computer manufacturer.
Pick up an issue of Computer Shopper, you can find lots of firms
selling memory.

>2. Adding a second hard drive
>	The computer has a 40 MB drive, but I want to add more.  If I buy
>another 40 MB drive, will I have to get another controller, or should the one
>I have be able to handle both drives?

You don't mention the disk controller type.  If it is a Western
Digital or some other common type, you should be able to connect
two drives to the controller.  Make sure you have documentation
on the jumper switches for your controller, since you may need
to set some switches on the controller.

>--
> Michael R.G. Elkins  |  Platt Campus Center  |  michael@jarthur.claremont.edu
>                      |  Harvey Mudd College  |  uunet!jarthur!michael
>                      |  Claremont, CA 91711  |

Ravinder Dhiman
Motorola, Inc.
Cellular Infrastructure Div.