[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Adding a reset switch

burtle@cs.odu.edu (William J Burtle) (07/17/90)

Does anyone know how to add a reset switch to an AT-compatible?
I read something about a "Power Good" line, but I cannot figure
out which one it is; it is not labeled, and I do not have a
technical reference for my machine.  (It is an ARC/286).  I already
put a normally-open momentary-contact button into the chasse, I just
need to wire it up on the inside.  The power supply has two connectors
into the mother-board.  (one is closer to the rear of the unit -- the
power good should be on this one?).  Each of the two connectors has
(I think) six lines on it.

Can someone help me out?  Please email me at:

			burtle@cs.odu.edu

Thanks a lot,

		Bill Burtle
		Old Dominion University
		Norfolk, VA

grege@gold.GVG.TEK.COM (Greg Ebert) (07/18/90)

In article <BURTLE.90Jul17125130@buttercup.cs.odu.edu> burtle@cs.odu.edu (William J Burtle) writes:
>Does anyone know how to add a reset switch to an AT-compatible?
>I read something about a "Power Good" line, but I cannot figure

The power-good signal is on the orange wire, and is at the edge of one of the
connectors [ hey, there are only 4 possibilities]. It's active-high, you you
need a way to 'yank it down' at will; I would use an SPDT switch as follows:

    (power supply) -------------o
				 \
				  \o-------> to motherboard

				v  to ground (black lead)

  The switch is normally connecting power_good to the motherboard; to do a
  reset, momentarily connect the wire to ground.