[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] HD interferes with ATI VGA1024

fordke@ingr.com (Keith Ford x8614) (07/17/90)

I have two ATI VGA Wonder cards, one is about 10 months older than the
other.  The newer one is called a VGA1024 and has a much thinner manual
which does not include any phone numbers for ATI.  My problem is when
the hard disk is accessed, the video receives interference like a burst
of RF.  No screen data is lost, it just makes the screen fuzzy for the
duration of the access.  It is only the newer card that has the problem.
I have a second machine and have determined this by swapping cards, etc.
The drives are Seagate ST277R-1 and the controllers are Adaptec and
Western Digital.  Any ideas?
--
| ...!uunet!ingr!fordke    |  Micro Magic BBS (1:373/12 - 205/830-2362)
|    fordke@ingr.com       |    IBM/Apple2/Trackstar/Echoes/OBUL/ODIN
| "and the Trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw." -Rush

jim@world.std.com (James D. McNamara) (07/19/90)

To: fordke@ingr.com
Subject: Re: HD interferes with ATI VGA1024
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware
Bcc:

In article <11547@ingr.com> you write:

>I have two ATI VGA Wonder cards, one is about 10 months older than the
>other.  The newer one is called a VGA1024 and has a much thinner manual
>which does not include any phone numbers for ATI.  My problem is when
>the hard disk is accessed, the video receives interference like a burst
>of RF.  No screen data is lost, it just makes the screen fuzzy for the
>duration of the access.  It is only the newer card that has the problem.
>I have a second machine and have determined this by swapping cards, etc.
>The drives are Seagate ST277R-1 and the controllers are Adaptec and
>Western Digital.  Any ideas?

I use an ATI VGA Wonder 512K ("VGA1024"), and have a Seagate ST251-1
drive.  Same problem!  It seems when the r/w heads seek, my horizontal
gets "wavey" (as opposed to "fuzzy", which to me implies snow).

I thought that maybe a well-placed capacitor may cut out the noise,
but I can't make any recommendations.  I think it might be power
surging, as opposed to RF.  BTW, my monitor is a NEC 3D.

Anybody encountered/solved this one, yet?

SIDE NOTE: I've recently ignored the "sticktion" discussion regarding
some HD's.  Well, I think it happened to me.  I'd appreciate if
somebody can summarize on net or email me.  Thanks.

James D. McNamara, jacked-in at...              | jim@world.std.com
45 Cleveland Street #1, Arlington, MA 02174-6915| Phone: (617) 648-2440
James D. McNamara, jacked-in at...              | jim@world.std.com
45 Cleveland Street #1, Arlington, MA 02174-6915| Phone: (617) 648-2440

L.Parkes@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Lloyd Parkes) (07/20/90)

I have an ATI VGA Wonder, and it is quite old. I also have an Adaptec
2372B RLL controller. If I want to boot my 286 at 12MHz, I have to
have the VGA card in 8 bit mode. I do this by putting it in an 8 bit
slot. It seems to fail during the VGA BIOS init. I used to fiddle it
by booting at 6 MHz, but I kept on forgetting to switch up to 12MHZ
:-)

					Lloyd
Lloyd Parkes		|	   Bix Licks Stick's Tricks
lloyd@comp.vuw.ac.nz	|    Bix Barton Master of the Rum and Uncanny