[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] 1.44M Question.. Time

chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) (07/22/90)

O.K., I have been reading this discussion about using 720K disks in
1.44M drives. Many have mentioned that it works fine, others argue
that only in the short run will this be reliable. How long does it
take for data to go bad on 1.44M formatted 720K diskettes ???
I have had my 50-Z for a year and a half now, using el-cheapo
3.5" 720K diskettes as 1.44M all the time. I noticed this peculiarity
when I did my first couple of formats, but have yet to notice any
data loss as a result of DD diskettes as HD. I figure 39 cents for
1.44M is pretty good !!!!

Chris Behrens   ChrisB@Hubcap.Clemson.Edu

steve@taumet.com (Stephen Clamage) (07/23/90)

chrisb@hubcap.clemson.edu (Chris Behrens) writes:

>I have had my 50-Z for a year and a half now, using el-cheapo
>3.5" 720K diskettes as 1.44M all the time....
> ... but have yet to notice any
>data loss as a result of DD diskettes as HD. I figure 39 cents for
>1.44M is pretty good !!!!

We bought some el-cheapo (not a trademark, so might not be the same
manufacturer :-)) disks, and used them only at 720K.  We haven't noticed
any data loss as such, but the disks cases tend to fall apart.  We
could, I suppose, *very carefully* glue the cases back together, but
it just isn't worth the risk of damaging the drive.  We have resolved
to buy no more cheap disks.

I makes a difference whether the disks are for personal use, and
bought with hard-earned after-tax dollars, or for company use.  In
the latter case, the uncertainty and possible lost work time is
not worth the money "saved" on disks.  One billable hour will buy
a lot of brand-name disks.