[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] ESDI disk controllers

terry@galaxia.newport.ri.us (07/23/90)

I have an opportunity to get a Fujitsu M2249E ESDI disk at a greatly
reduced price.  I currently have a 12Mhz 286 with an AMI bios, the I/O
bus operates at 8mhz.  Before getting the disk drive I would like to know the
following.

1.  Does the installation software come with the disk drive or the
    controller?

2.  What are the advantages or disavantages of the following controllers?

                    Western Digital
WD1007A-WA2
WD1007V-SE2

                    Adaptec
2320
ACB-2322B
ACB-2322B-8

                    SMS OMTI
8640

Any other comments about controllers would be appreciated.  I am looking
for a controller that will control hard drive and my floppy.

Thanks for the help.

Terry

raymond!terry@galaxia.newport.ri.us
{rayssd,xanth,lazlo,mirror,att}!galaxia!raymond!terry

davidsen@antarctica.crd.GE.COM (william E Davidsen) (07/23/90)

In article <50-raymond-terry>, raymond!terry@galaxia.newport.ri.us writes:
|> I have an opportunity to get a Fujitsu M2249E ESDI disk at a greatly
|> reduced price.  I currently have a 12Mhz 286 with an AMI bios, the I/O
|> bus operates at 8mhz.  Before getting the disk drive I would like to
know the
|> following.

|> 2.  What are the advantages or disavantages of the following controllers?
|>
|>                     Western Digital
|> WD1007A-WA2
|> WD1007V-SE2

  This has been a pretty good controller for us, but it is a tad slow.
It may not run 1:1 with all disks, it's 10mbit rather than 15, etc. One
controller we have liked is the CompuAdd. We have found that the cache
makes less diference with unix, but really helps performance with DOS.
Ignoring the cache it has been a nice reliable controller, and we have
used it with a number of drives here.
--
Bill Davidsen (davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com, uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
  GE Corp R&D Center, Schenectady NY

erik@westworld.esd.sgi.com (Erik Fortune) (07/24/90)

In article <10183@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, davidsen@antarctica.crd.GE.COM
(william E Davidsen) writes:
>|> 2.  What are the advantages or disavantages of the following controllers?
>|>
>|>                     Western Digital
>|> WD1007A-WA2
>|> WD1007V-SE2
>
>  This has been a pretty good controller for us, but it is a tad slow.
>It may not run 1:1 with all disks, it's 10mbit rather than 15, etc. One
>controller we have liked is the CompuAdd. We have found that the cache
>makes less diference with unix, but really helps performance with DOS.
>Ignoring the cache it has been a nice reliable controller, and we have
>used it with a number of drives here.

The SE2 is the new version of the WA2 and is spec'ed at 15mbit, and
runs 1:1 (or claims to) with my Wren.    Speedy enough to keep me happy.
Haven't used the WA2 or the CompuAdd, though so I can't compare them.
I'm happy with my SE2, though.

-- Erik
   (erik@sgi.com)