[comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware] Summary: multiple hard disk controllers

SINMICD@YaleVM.YCC.Yale.Edu (07/26/90)

   This is a summary of responses to a question I posted in comp.sys.ibm.pc
a few weeks ago in article <90191.000559SINMICD@Yalevm.ycc.yale.edu>.
Since this is a more appropriate newsgroup for this discussion, I have
moved it here.

   First, I would like to thank all who responded to my question concerning
the use of more than one hard disk controller in the same machine.  The
others suggested I try formatting both drives to RLL and then using just
the RLL controller.  My problem is that the "other" drive is an original
10M Winchester drive from an AT, with older-type media that will probably
not take RLL to well.  Actually, I did try to put RLL on this drive, and it
worked, but I still felt uneasy.  Maybe those were the days when drives
were shipped _without_ any defect list attached to them :-)

   I did get two responses that were helpful.  It seems like it is indeed
possible, but highly dependent on the brand of controller and the specific
PC BIOS installed.  Both my MFM and my RLL controllers have jumpers to set
a secondary hard drive port address, but when I do this on either one it
still doesn't work.  It looks like my PC BIOS is not jumping to the
secondary address like it should be.  I still have a few more jumper
combinations to try before I assume this is the cause.

   Here are the two responses I found most informative:

   blue@techunix.technion.ac.il writes:

>Well, I have done so more then once. I have used diffrent combinations
>of MFM and RLL controlers - and was able to boot and use the disk
>without any problems.
>        From my experience, you have to be carful about the controlers
>you use. Not all of the will enable you to run both. There is also the
>question of who is first. Sometimes, switching the controlers will help.
>I found out that the on-board BIOS has a lot to do with it - and of
>courrse you have to put the two in diffrent address.
>        For example, I found out that an ST11M wont work as a first
>controler when another OMTI 5527 (RLL) was installed. When I switched
>them back, it worked.

   Thanks to all who responded, and feel free to send me more info, I still
haven't had success yet.  By the way, the controllers I'm trying to use are
a Western Digital WD-1003 WA2 and an AMS RLL controller.  My machine is a
386 with AMI BIOS.

Mike Sintchak
sintchak%hhvms8@venus.ycc.yale.edu